Major performance issue in coastal highway (OS X)

tclementdev

I have survived for 10 days in mystery lake and just entered coastal highway through the ravine. As soon as I was there the performance is really awful (very low frame rate). The performance can be ok when looking towards the edge of the map, otherwise it is unplayable.

Anything wrong with my setup or is it the same for all the others with similar config? Anything I can try/do to help fix that?

iMac 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i5, 8 GB Ram, ATI Radeon HD 5750 1 GB, OS X 10.9.5

Sandbox Alpha v.156

I found another OS X user who describes the same problem (steam forums):

Only issues that I've run into was when I first entered the new area my framerate dropped dramatically when I looked straight down the road but went back up when I looked towards the sides. (Mac OSX 10.9.5; 2.7 Ghz; 4GB)

http://steamcommunity.com/games/305620/ ... 7232410012

• 3 weeks later...

After last time, I reduced resolution and moved form "ultra" to "high" quality and it went ok. But since the recent updates the problem occurs again and in more places. For example at the abandoned lookout and townsite location, when looking towards certain directions, the frame rate drops dramatically.

hey,

i have this issue, too ... my machine is an

imac 27" from 2011

2,7 GHz Intel Core i5

12 GB 1333 MHz DDR3

AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB

yosemite ... as i am new to this game, i cant compare it over time. it seems, that decreasing graphics quality does not change anything ...

So I tested and for me there is no more slow-downs when going to "medium" quality. But I started this game (v.156) and played my entire time in mystery lake in "ultra" with no problems, then entered coastal highway and changed to "high" and played all over the map with no problems. Now (v.170) in "high" there are slow-downs in a lot of places (still in coastal highway) so the performance have clearly degraded with the recent updates.

Not sure, but it could be from the game running/checking for updates between the two versions. I've had that where I loaded in a previous version save, and some play was slow for a bit [often because now the game had to refresh/replace stuff in the cache with new settings], but once I passed through it was fine, and ran full speed in a fresh start.

Has it still been slow when playing a fresh start [new game]?

I started a fresh new game in v.166 and have seen the slow-downs since then. My guess was that they added new graphic elements into the game (although I haven't noticed much) and some scenes are too intensive for my graphic card, but I don't know. Before v.163 the game looked good and was smooth. Anyway it's easy to reproduce if they can grab a machine similar to mine.

I started a fresh new game in v.166 and have seen the slow-downs since then. My guess was that they added new graphic elements into the game (although I haven't noticed much) and some scenes are too intensive for my graphic card, but I don't know. Before v.163 the game looked good and was smooth. Anyway it's easy to reproduce if they can grab a machine similar to mine.

The game is on v.170 now - any difference with a fresh game start? I know I had some slowdown at first from my previous version load, but then it cleared up.

• 2 weeks later...

Mmmm ... i wonder if they have been able to reproduce this issue ... i very much enjoy coastal highway, but it's really difficult to play ... it's strange that this issue occurs only when walking in one direction (for me), is it releated to the size of the map and the graphics engine? I'm playing in the lowest resolution and lowest detail level and still the lagging graphics ... :(

Guest Alan Lawrance

We investigated this issue, and discovered that some of the telephone wires were simulating when far away (their simulation normally gets disabled at around 30 meters from camera). This has been fixed since v.181 -- so let us know if the problem still persists.

I'm still seeing major slow-downs. I was inside the abandoned lookout and (depending on the weather it seems), when looking towards the wall where the door is, the frame rate went down dramatically. When looking the other direction, it went smooth.

Couldn't check on town site yet, was attacked by a wolf and was dead before I could even fight back, wow.

Hi everyone. New to the game and the forums of course.

I've only started playing TLD this version. LOVE IT!

I too have these issues in the Coastal Highway map. Mystery lake runs great though.

I have a 2011 MacBook Pro, 2.2 Ghz Intel core i7. 4 GB RAM. AMD Radeon 6750M with 512 MB.

Running OS X Lion 10.7.5

Same deal with having to look a certain direction for smooth performance.

• 1 month later...

I read about the issues regarding unity ... i really hope, you get this fixed. Meanwhile i have the impression, that the new region doesn't suffer from this problem. it lags a bit when turning around, but walking in any direction does not cause any such problems so far.

I've had the same issue. It seems like ever since the last 5 updates and especially with the addition of Coastal Highway the performance has dropped significantly. I've normally always played on Medium, but the performance is terrible even after I dropped it to low.

3.1GHz i7

16GB RAM

NVIDIA GeForce GT650M 512

I feel as though I ought to play on High, if not better.

I've since stopped playing TLD. It's kind of sad, really. I remember when I first bought the game in September- it was incredible. Now, it's essentially unplayable to quite a few of us. I realize that OS X users aren't exactly the majority here, but it's disappointing nonetheless. For now, it'll just sit in the Steam Library taunting me, I guess.

I just stared having issues with the UI. It overlaps all the graphics and when I choose one they all go back to their proper place but then cant be clicked, only way to get out of that option is the use the "esc" key but then nothing else works.

I'm 12 days in Pleasant valley and It all started after I was attacked by a bear. Im not sure what happens when attacked by a bear but I couldn't fight it and it just kept spinning me around. After that my game hasn't been working the same. Did my character get brain damage?

I'm running on a mac OS 10.6.8 since day 1 of alpha release and it was all smooth until that bear incident. I saw that recommended is 10.9 but how often is that going to be updated? I love my OS version better then the next ones but I also love this game. If I update my OS it will be only because of this game but since I been playing in a lower recommended version all this time I'm going to hang with it until I'm forced to update.

Archived