not possible to re-enter the carter dam from riverside?

Wehrwolf

Hi.

As asked in topic, my question is:

if it is mentioned not be able to re-enter the dam from the river-side, after you left the dam through the door?!?

I hope ist a bug... having plenty of life-saving things on my deer-hunter-house and at the lake...

thanks ahead.

• 2 months later...

I left all of my stuff in dam and went outside. I realized I couldn't get back in and I just about had a panic attack! Thankfully I was able to quit and load which put me back inside. I'm reporting this as a bug because I very well could have died from this and I would have been extremely discouraged. I had a little food with me, but it was the middle of the night. One simple storm could have ended me. Full video is here:

56ce276722940_cantgobackinthedoorbug.thu

I'm reporting this as a bug because I very well could have died from this and I would have been extremely discouraged.

It's NOT a bug - the one way doo0r is by design. You need to find another way back in.

Why in the world would this be intentional to have a one way door? That sounds extremely silly to me! What if there was a full blown blizzard already going outside and I couldn't see more than 2 feet in front of my face? Normally any sane person would just go back inside. If this is intentional, then I almost consider this to be a small booby trap, because you have no indication that you will not be able to go back through the door.

I also had a similar adventure. Never did find my way back, froze to death wandering pleasant valley at night. Ah those earlier days.

While extremely silly, and seemingly unfair, you would be shockingly horrified how many industrial doors you can encounter in the real world that end up one way. Mechanical failure, air pressure, magnetic security locks, maybe we just need extra flair in our lives here in Canada. 2 years ago I mounted a search and rescue for a lab tech who'd locked himself in our air venting system, despite the large sign warning of the door not reopening because of pressure.

If the Dam door handle broke of in your hand, I suppose it'd make more "sense", and less a trap, but the end result is the end result. Adapt and survive.... or die. One certainly remembers that door on the next play thru.

Yeah that door sucked! I was going to spend the night in the dam and had some meat to cook and had put my bedroll down by the fire barrel. There were a few more hours of daylight so I decided to take a quick look. I went outside looked around and then tried to go back in and was horrified to see I couldn't open the door and get back in! It was getting dark and I had no cooked food so I cheated and quit the game and reloaded the last save and luckily I was back in the dam.

BTW just for the record I would NEVER let the door close behind me in that kind of situation! I'd jam some firewood in the door frame to keep it from closing all the way just in case. But now after playing a month I believe I have explored all of mystery lake, Coastal highway and Desolation Point so that appears to be the next area of unknown I'll have to explore. Unless there is a way across that broken bridge in Desolation Point which I was trying to find this past weekend but couldn't.

Yeah that door sucked! I was going to spend the night in the dam and had some meat to cook and had put my bedroll down by the fire barrel. There were a few more hours of daylight so I decided to take a quick look. I went outside looked around and then tried to go back in and was horrified to see I couldn't open the door and get back in! It was getting dark and I had no cooked food so I cheated and quit the game and reloaded the last save and luckily I was back in the dam.

BTW just for the record I would NEVER let the door close behind me in that kind of situation! I'd jam some firewood in the door frame to keep it from closing all the way just in case. But now after playing a month I believe I have explored all of mystery lake, Coastal highway and Desolation Point so that appears to be the next area of unknown I'll have to explore. Unless there is a way across that broken bridge in Desolation Point which I was trying to find this past weekend but couldn't.

This is my thoughts exactly. Even if it really was a 1 way door with special magnetic locks or what have you, how hard it is to stick something in the door? It's not like we don't have enough sticks in our inventory! :lol:

i believe that the door was made one way for a reason. maybe to get you used to taking chances and dealing with uncomfortable situations. personally, i am VERY uncomfortable with heights and didnt even consider crossing the dam, let alone the tree and bridge in the ravine. in fact, the only way i would go to CH was from PV. and TM is giving me nightmares with all the rope climbs ant tree bridges. so all i can say is put on your big boy/girl pants and learn to take chances. it IS only a game, after all. if you fall and die, just try again.

p.s. i dont recommend crouching while crossing. it proves very hard on the boots and pants.

The one way door doesn't sit well with me either. There is no indication that it locks behind you and every indication that it won't (since every other door in the entire game that you can open goes both ways). I thought it was a bug the first time also.

It's kinda funny though because it's almost like a hazing ritual for noobs. "Haha, the troll door got you too didn't it!?"

Like I said, it got me.

I think players really should be able to prop it open. I could handle the surprise for the first time, but it just doesn't make sense that you can't prop it open after the second time and is very immersion breaking, especially after you've had to walk across the ledge on the damn dozens of times.

i dont think that the door "got" me as it seems to get most people. yes, i was surprised by it, but since i was fully equipped, i just explored for a few hours of real time until i got up the nerve to cross. i knew there had to be a way back in, it was just a matter of finding it. at the time, i had already explored the ravine as far as the tree but thought that was the end of it until after encountering the door. after i got back into the dam, i went back and crossed the tree only to get stumped by the tressle. took reading a post in the forums 2 months later before i even considered it. even then, i still prefer to go through PV to get to CH unless i decide i cant live without the saw and hammer.

The door locking behind me the first time didn't result in my death, but it sure trolled the hell out of me. I thought it was a bug and proclaimed my assumption live on stream while whining much about it until about 2 weeks later real time a fine gentleman kindly shared with me that it was indeed not a bug and that there was another way in. I had already went all the way through PV and CH to get back to ML. That's what I meant by, "it got me". I had no reason to think there was another way in. In hind sight I guess I should have looked around more and noticed that there was stuff on the other side of the dam and a possible way across (but why would I think there was a way in, especially through a high window?), but I was so damn angry at the troll door that I didn't even fathom that I needed someone to hold my hand while I tip toed across the precipice of the abyss.

I still hate walking across that damn dam. Especially since the edges/corners of the vertical supports that you have to pass can kick you out towards the edge. I had to reload a save once because of that. I was teetering on the edge and could not get back up.

I walked out that door to find myself in a horrible blizzard AND in extremely low temperatures. I froze to death before I could find a spot to build a fire out of the wind.

I agree that having it be a one-way door is asinine. You'd look out then close it, or if you decided to go forward,, you'd prop it open with a stick.

I walked out that door to find myself in a horrible blizzard AND in extremely low temperatures. I froze to death before I could find a spot to build a fire out of the wind.

I agree that having it be a one-way door is asinine. You'd look out then close it, or if you decided to go forward, you'd prop it open with a stick.

I'm sorry that I'm not a fan of the "you will know better next time" answer. I would like to think that smart players could play through the game without dying once. I think that having to learn something "the hard way" like this is a poor game design choice. Going straight into a harsh blizzard like that will most likely kill every player that isn't already familiar with the location of the other entrance.

As someone else pointed out having self locking doors are quite common in industrial sites. Especially if it's a remote area like this that seldom has workers. You can't risk that the door be left unlocked and have someone come in who you don't want. So, as far as theme goes I'm OK with it.

However, I do agree that it is a bit of a shock the first time it happens! And I can sympathize that it would not be very fun to lose your character as a result. A good compromise would be a note saying the outside knob keeps falling off perhaps located in the control room. That would give the location some narrative, make it feel lived in and give players a hint that there's an accessible exterior location.

The issue isn't that it is a self locking door, it's that the player doesn't have a chance to prop it open or otherwise realize before hand that it is a one way door or might be a self locking door before being hosed by it.

The overall gameplay doesn't justify being locked out of the damn.

If you had the option to prop open or check if other doors prior to reaching the troll door were one way only or self locking, then it would be justified to accidentally lock yourself out of the door. It currently is akin to a super mario maker troll block basically.

Just my opinion. Maybe I should have some cheese with my whine.

As someone else pointed out having self locking doors are quite common in industrial sites. Especially if it's a remote area like this that seldom has workers. You can't risk that the door be left unlocked and have someone come in who you don't want. So, as far as theme goes I'm OK with it.

The problem isn't the self locking door itself! There's nothing wrong with it, at all!

There's no way you wouldn't prop a door like that in RL, before you go out! It's common sence. You won't let it close!

I think it has the same idea behind it, like how you can die in thirst or hunger while sleeping or while doing something. Cheap, bogus deaths.

You can get back? Never knew that, but kinda was thinking that it should be possible seeing it would be a very strange developer choice not to do so.

First time i went through that door i was actually excited (and frustrated at the same time) i couldn't get back, stuff like this should happen more often! Weeeeeeee!!!!! No seriously i freaking loved it.

Found my way into pleasant valley, found my way to the farm house, saw a bear, climbed ontop of that car nearby (why on top and not inside? Wanted to see if bear could climb car), got mauled anyway, didn't knew it didn't kill me (first time i saw a bear) but i left my tv, then i froze to death (screen was entirely black by the way and it lit up when i died to go back to instant black)

Got kind of angry so spawned again in PV, weird thing was i started next to the farmhouse, stayed in the house for two days and when i came out a bear was there again, i killed it with one bullet (my second bear took 7 bullet hits) felt satisfied, mission complete.

I started that new game just to kill a bear and it didn't took me more than 2 hours of finding a rifle & some rounds, a bear and seeing which one would do best when the two collided. Man that felt awesome but i was a little shocked of how easy that bear went down (or bears in general as i was thinking that very moment) boy did i reconsider that thought the third time i had a bear encounter.

By the way, the bear did not climb the car, i just teleported off the car into the bear his paws when he was infront of me, to be more precise the bear lunged for me but i was "out of reach" i "slipped" (or flowed) into his grasp, which seemed like an odd glitch to me.

When the bear mauled me right before i died i saw i was on the car again, so while the screen was black i "slipped" or "flowed" back onto the car because the bear could infact not get on the car yet the car was not treated as an obstacle for the bear and his lunging range increased due to that which made this glitch occur, i have no interest of recreating that glitch so if i'm not positive it's a glitch and not something on my part i won't make a seperate topic about it and dang i'm "slipping" or "flowing" off-topic here.

So you can get back up from the dam, daaaaamn good to know....

Archived