Can't find firewood

Norse

All I've found so far is tinder. Last try was on a clear day near 'lone cabin' using hatchet. Kept upping the foraging time as I've been going along. Last tried 4 hours and found 24 tinders at the lone cabin. Should I keep looking longer?

You don't have to actually be by wood or trees or in a specific location. I thought you did at first and it isn't clearly stated but you are pretty new right Norsk, so yeah some of the things are pretty modular done, cooking and crafting all done via the modules. Foraging is no different at this point.

Inside Foragintg: You have to select the Tab of whether you're searching for tinder or reclaimed wood

Ourside Foraging: You have to select the Tab of whether you're foraging for Tinder, Softwood, or Hardwood

Thanks, I completly missed the tab. Probably could be better portrayed as It was by chance I noticed them when harvesting deer.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the info here. I just started playing and having a blast.

I'm a fan of the "trade 'game time' for a dice roll" modular mechanic myself. Maybe they will find a way to do both?

Realism is cool but the more "real" it gets, the harder it is to do well in my opinion. Having spent lots of time in the woods, foraging for firewood is a chore. I don't want to have to do it in a game, ya know? If its like Skyrim looking for colored brush and leaves, that's about the best I have seen done in a game, and even that gets old.

Not to mention the atmosphere here is snowclad, which means that most of the time - in the real world - you aren't finding anything laying around on the ground. ... Oddly enough- when the weather is bad - I have had the same experience as this guy did in game... Only found one piece/type of some kind of wood that probably isn't the best to use for firewood on its own.

However "Real" a game tries to be- we are still in front of a keyboard with unrealistic FOV... It is easy to make things a bit too complex when they are naturally done with hands while we think/plan about our whole scenario, where as in a game- click select clicking "this little box" and "that little thing" is not and likely will NEVER be anything even close really searching for stuff to make a fire with in the woods.

Look up. I see lots of snags on trees. In the real world those would be, wood!. No offense but there are wood crates, bunkbeds, shacks etc etc etc in this game that we would find wood enough. Unfortunately real thing problem is, we cant burn em!

Not to mention, plane crash in the Canadian wilderness? Hmm, just happens to be easy with all these developments around (cabins etc).

To me, it seems not much thought put into this one.

Thanks for the info here. I just started playing and having a blast.

I'm a fan of the "trade 'game time' for a dice roll" modular mechanic myself. Maybe they will find a way to do both?

Realism is cool but the more "real" it gets, the harder it is to do well in my opinion. Having spent lots of time in the woods, foraging for firewood is a chore. I don't want to have to do it in a game, ya know? If its like Skyrim looking for colored brush and leaves, that's about the best I have seen done in a game, and even that gets old.

Not to mention the atmosphere here is snowclad, which means that most of the time - in the real world - you aren't finding anything laying around on the ground. ... Oddly enough- when the weather is bad - I have had the same experience as this guy did in game... Only found one piece/type of some kind of wood that probably isn't the best to use for firewood on its own.

However "Real" a game tries to be- we are still in front of a keyboard with unrealistic FOV... It is easy to make things a bit too complex when they are naturally done with hands while we think/plan about our whole scenario, where as in a game- click select clicking "this little box" and "that little thing" is not and likely will NEVER be anything even close really searching for stuff to make a fire with in the woods.

Why dont you play the game a few dozen rounds and tell us if you feel the same way. Being able to make fire should be more challenging than it is. It simply requires ingredients right now. It should also require skill and some luck in finding them.

Archived