How to deal with Wolves?

Amy

So far I've tried to avoid wolves as much as possible, but sometimes they come out of nowhere and instakill me. I'm so confused on what to do when they down you. Are you supposed to spam right click or left? I always have bandages and antiseptics but I rarely get out alive to even need to use that stuff. Any tips?

If you just want to get rid of the wolf ASAP, spam your right mouse button as fast as you can. It helps greatly if you have a weapon; in order of best to worst: knife, hatchet or prybar. With the knife I can chase a wolf away in 1-2 sec, taking about 5-10% damage.

If you want to kill the wolf, spam your left mouse button until the bar is full, then right mouse button. Repeat if necessary.

I also try to evade wolves whenever possible and it's almost never a problem even if I run into them around a corner. Pay close attention to the sound they make and the direction it comes from and run in the opposite direction. I can usually get away this way.

But sometimes you just get jumped when exiting a house (mostly happens in the town). There's nothing you can do to prevent that at the moment. That really annoys me...

Well, I hope this helps you a little in dealing with wolves when you have to. Good luck!

Thank you! I'm at 41 days now and I'm not afraid of wolves anymore. I've actually been hunting them with my knife to save bullets for deer. :)

I'm kind of confused about how traps work though. Do you have to chase rabbits into them yourself or do they just kind of appear there overnight? Thanks in advance~

You're very welcome :)

Traps work quite simple: you place them in area's where you've seen rabbits and every 12 hours they have a chance of catching one. So it's a smart move to check your traps every 12 hours to minimize the time the rabbits are in the trap, as this quickly reduces their condition. If you leave them too long the meat will be at a very low condition and you will need to eat it rather quickly.

Thank you! I'm at 41 days now and I'm not afraid of wolves anymore. I've actually been hunting them with my knife to save bullets for deer. :)

I'm kind of confused about how traps work though. Do you have to chase rabbits into them yourself or do they just kind of appear there overnight? Thanks in advance~

Gratz on 41 days. Figured I'd pop in and mention though, flares are a useful hunting tool too. When you see deer near wolves, you can scare them into the direction of wolves, then once the wolf takes down the deer, use a flare to scare it off and steal the deer. Keep in mind though, sometimes throwing the flare at the wolf won't scare it off instantly, but I find if you stand a good 10-20 feet away, throw the flare in between you and the wolf, walk and pick up the flare and then throw it directly at the wolf, then it runs. I've gotten a great deal of free food this way. Am hoping it will be made harder in the future though, but it's a helpful trick for now.

• 4 weeks later...
If you just want to get rid of the wolf ASAP, spam your right mouse button as fast as you can. It helps greatly if you have a weapon; in order of best to worst: knife, hatchet or prybar. With the knife I can chase a wolf away in 1-2 sec, taking about 5-10% damage.

If you want to kill the wolf, spam your left mouse button until the bar is full, then right mouse button. Repeat if necessary.

Can you give some detail re: "spamming the mouse buttons"? It's been some time since I played anything on the PC and though I sometimes am able to wound a wolf enough that it gives up and leaves me alone, I don't know how I'm doing it, other than clicking like mad on the right button. Do I need to hold the left mouse button down to get some force behind my attacks, and do I have to wait before attacking? Thanks!

Can you give some detail re: "spamming the mouse buttons"? It's been some time since I played anything on the PC and though I sometimes am able to wound a wolf enough that it gives up and leaves me alone, I don't know how I'm doing it, other than clicking like mad on the right button. Do I need to hold the left mouse button down to get some force behind my attacks, and do I have to wait before attacking? Thanks!

"Spamming" / "Clicking like a mad man", same difference :)

But just clicking the RMB like crazy doesn't work like it did when I posted that advise. The mechanic has been changed.

What I do now is to click the left mouse button like crazy until the bar is full and then RMB to attack. I repeat that until I'm dead, the wolf is dead or running away. Not the best tactic probably, because mostly it ends with me dead.

Maybe someone who has more success fighting wolves can give you some better advise.

I noticed that as well. Spamming the right button not works as good with the update as before.

Now I also have to use the regular way. Hitting the left mouse button fast and often until your force bar is (almost) full and then hit the wolf with the right mouse button. Repeat. Keep your condition in the eye and be sure to make your last hit just before it runs out ;)

Archived