Where do ya'll base?

oversoul

Now that I'm getting my skill at this game to a point where I might actually make it to see a second week in this frozen hell, I'm wondering where the other players set up their base of operations? Or do ya'll roam around Mad Max style?

1. Trapper's Homestead. Pro: stocked. Has storage space, stove, bed. Con: remote, stock can run out.

2. Camp Office. Pro: large, stove, bed, central-ish location. Con: are there any?

3. Forestry Tower. Pro: stove, bed, stocked-ish. Con: somewhat remote.

5. The Hydro Dam. Honestly haven't played enough to weigh this one.

6. Other?

7. Mad Max Wanderer.

TIA. 8-)

Camp office, but I really prefer to keep moving. What I tend to do is leave a certain amount of supplies in a number of central locations (office, logging trailers, sometimes the dam) and move frequently between them in order to gather more supplies and hunt more game. It's worked well, I've survived for 45 days using this method.

I don't reccomend the trapper's lodge: it can be quite difficult to keep yourself stocked if the wildlife spawning doesn't work in your favor. It works fine for a few days, but I wouldn't linger longer than I have to.

The forestry lookout is also a dangerous decision. It's not warm enough. In the camp office and trappers homestead, the ambient temperature (that is to say, the temperature without a fire burning) is high enough to warm you up overnight without the need for wasting wood on a fire. You need to keep a fire burning in the lookout in order to stay warm at night, and that drain on your inventory will make your position untenable really quickly.

Trappers Homestead. I like the location and the interiour very much. And when I just need the deermeat, water and firewood it's as good a place as any. Or am I missing something important, because almost everybody here stays at Camp Office?

I tried once to make Forestry Lookout my base, but it's no good. It takes forever to walk up or down that mountain, burning calories and wasting precious time, imo.

I like trappers homestead very much.

pros:

- inside lit in the dark if youre outside

- always meat for foraging (frozen deer in the barn spawns new meat every few days)

- the barn also provides good protection against bad weather while foraging wood

con:

- no central location, particularly at the beginning this point is important. So as soon as youre done with the lake and dam area it might be preferable to move to the trappers homestead or at least make it a second base.

Ive never lived past 6 days so I can't really say. I try to make it to a gun quick so I can cook some meat quick and water but for me anyway, I think it will be the camp office when I get the rhythm down on how to stay alive. I can't quite figure out how yet. My biggest problem is starting fires when I need too. Never seems to be enough tinder. And if you fail its a kick in the balls because you lose that tinder piece.

Ive never lived past 6 days so I can't really say. I try to make it to a gun quick so I can cook some meat quick and water but for me anyway, I think it will be the camp office when I get the rhythm down on how to stay alive. I can't quite figure out how yet. My biggest problem is starting fires when I need too. Never seems to be enough tinder. And if you fail its a kick in the balls because you lose that tinder piece.

Do you harvest newspapers in order to obtain 3 tinder plugs from each newspaper?

I do like the camp office. It feels very "central" to me, surrounded by the trapper's cabin, the lake cabins, the logging camp. Apart from the dam, most things are very close by. It is easy to find being on the train tracks, and never too far from anything so even in a blizzard it is a quick walk. It has lots of storage, and wood stoves. It doesn't leave me wanting anything, other than a hand-pump for fresh lake water, and a couple cords of pre-split firewood outside.

Trappers Homestead. I like the location and the interiour very much. And when I just need the deermeat, water and firewood it's as good a place as any. Or am I missing something important, because almost everybody here stays at Camp Office?

I tried once to make Forestry Lookout my base, but it's no good. It takes forever to walk up or down that mountain, burning calories and wasting precious time, imo.

The Forestry Lookout is a death trap at night. I prefer not freezing to death in my sleep thank you very much!

One reason I used to alway prefer the Camp Office was there were always wolves nearby to do my hunting for me. Also, it was central for short loot runs. The Homestead never had any wolves patrolling and taking down deer for me.

However, with the newest updates the animal spawns are random and spread out. I actually walked out the Homestead and witnessed a murder in the valley between my front door and the barn! So now it's a great neighborhood in which to live. This new change and having the workbench inside are the reasons I'm learning to live a Homesteaders life. I know the workbench isn't implemented yet, but I'll be ready when it is.

Archived