Let's talk about continuous contents.

lolmuffin

I only survived 41 days longest, but any user if you finished to make all handmade clothes and more than 5 arrows do you want to continue the game? I could restart as refresh but if we want to survive more I think we need continuous contents. I suggest these.

I updated this from UTC 12:05 20-12-2015.

Building

If we customize a house or a building, various thing we could design. It destroys the balance of map but If it's hard to make more than making clothes players will visit all the map naturally. Or it can be expanding and manage the house(like remove the wall or make new room and container). It's more easy to develop and keeping balance well.

/As Casazzo said, now they are working on story mode. It's too much big. And concept is not./

NPC

I'm afraid Story mode NPC is more scripted form. I just hope they make npc in the sandbox mode.

/Random events could cover. See under Topic's ideas./

Workshop.

As 'Don't starve' survival game, mod has no end and various things are there. I could come back default If I didn't like some of stuffs in workshop. And Hinterland can add good stuff in default If modder and developer wants to add.

/I will ask this directly about after release./

Topic's ideas.

Explorations

more various maps. Some of people in Topics want hardcore maps in forum. See these other topics about map also.

http://hinterlandforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=59&t=9463

http://hinterlandforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=59&t=4522

Items/recipes

Like moccasin, upgraded type of hatchet, an reflective&windproof wall when keeping fire outside.

by Barretts Privateer

And I add if there are same concept items/recipes, make users choose weight, performance, damage, condition.

Random events

Ex)Helicopter crash down somewhere and player will go to seek something like MRE, weapon, signal gun.

Animal migration, deer cannot find and wolves come more. by Dirmangnos

If my English is bad, please tell me.

Thank you for reading. Do you have better idea or to attach?

No. I am about 50 days in and other than exploring the other maps there is nothing left to do. The first 20 hours of playing this game are nothing short of amazing. Absolutely stunning experience. But then it gets really old, really quickly. And that is a shame. Boredom is something that becomes a problem very late in a survival situation. There is always something to do. Only... there isn't in TLD. In order to provide long-term motivation, this game would either require a multiplayer mode or far, far more crafting recipes. By far more I mean like 20-25 times what we have now. I'm sure players are more than happy to supply those ideas as well.

It would be cool, if crafting didn't work off recipes the way it does, but if it let you add items onto the work bench and offer you a possibility of what you could craft using those items. So rather than "using" the Fishing Tackle recipe, you would just put a line and a hook on the workbench and only then the game would suggest you craft a fishing tackle.

Hesha

Again, Thank you for reply. Yes, more crafting recipes would makes more playing time. But you know, during the crafting recipes I do same thing. Half of the awake time I go to do fishing, hunting, collecting rabbits.

Anyway, I added thing from your idea. when you connect them with clicking button rapidly if you slipped your hand? bleeding as forced. deep or thin. Kind of acting which makes you thrill. But it could be angry or boring because of much realistic..

At least I need lynx fellow. :cry:'

UTC 3:00 18 december 2015

Sorry, I missthought of more recipes. I agree more recipe will make more feel like sandbox.

Less than 30 days into my longest play yet and I already see this happening. Found shelter with a workbench and stove. Found knife, hatchet, and can opener. Built a bow and snares, then hunted for the pelts to make boots, pants, mittens, and coat.

Now every day is eat, check snares, gather sticks for firewood, hunt deer/wolves if I trip over them. Home to rest if weather goes bad or I get hurt.

I'm very slowly burning through matches and tinder and very occasionally using can food if hunting goes poorly. Aside from that my character has no incentive to explore. Hope story mode helps this.

For me, exploration is where its at. You can "survive" easily enough without moving too far from wherever you start. All you need is shelter, a fireplace, and a crafting station. Get yourself a knife and a hatchet, and you're golden. Finding warm clothing isn't even too necessary if you're willing to fight wolves over downed deer, set a fire and harvest, then wait for those hides to cure and make yourself some pants and boots. Snares are easy to craft, etc.

But reaching all the different locations? Exploring every area and making your mark on the world? That, to me, is what makes the game worth coming back to over and over. Prep for the journey, head out, deal with what comes your way, conquer that land, and move on. Doesn't really matter if you need the supplies or not. I'm not interested in hibernating for high scores. I just keep scooting back and forth, covering every zone. As the game gets bigger, my games get longer.

To Lucidfugue

Sure, exploration and scavenge are contents. But It's so fast to discover. I planed to move except making a deer boots and a bow with an arrow. It only took 30 days to discover. And when I stayed I didn't have to go so far from my home. Only one thing desolation points need to go again. Only this thing why I travel again. Whenever they add map we gamer will discover all the place so fast.

Sorry but for asking, I'm going to play this game tomorrow but is Timberwolf mountain worth to go again? I think it's only for staying as hardcore like pleasant valley.

Same here.

When i played my first game (voyager), i played up to 65 days (ish) and then got bored.

Now i started again (stalker) and i crafted most things by day 20. Knowing the area helps a lot.

Nevertheless i really enjoyed playing this game, and i got mor then 60 hours of fun out of it ... but i think it would not take to much effort, to make the game-experience hold for a much longer time.

PLEASE DO NOT artificially enlarge the item decay or something like that.

My Suggestions:

- Add an potential ending. Something like: Repair a radio with 5 items, scattered randomly over all maps. After calling for help + 30 days a rescue party appears. (So you get some kind of closure, but only if you want)

- Add a few dozen more crafting recipes. Ideas are enough found in this forum.

Imho:

If the sandbox mode supports around 100h of educated gameplay with an possible ending, it would be enough to be released as a game, let alone the storymode.

To Casazzo

1.I half agree. I think concept of sandbox need to be various playing type not to make same.

But if It cannot be continue it needs to have feeling a sense of accomplishment.

2.Then there are some survivalists in the forum. I want to know their opinion.

Very good idea, mate. I understand how you feel. While I have not gone to Desolation Point or Mystery Lake in my current playthrough, there is no incentive for me to do so. I simply stay at the farmhouse in Pleasant Valley, and, because I killed the bear outside some time ago, have enough food to last a long blizzard. Also, I have enough firewood from the area around the house, and water is not an issue (I believe there is some 7 or 8 litres in the fridge at the moment.)

Also, I am one of those survivalists you mentioned, so what exactly do you want my opinion on? I'd be glad to offer it.

Very good idea, mate. I understand how you feel. While I have not gone to Desolation Point or Mystery Lake in my current playthrough, there is no incentive for me to do so. I simply stay at the farmhouse in Pleasant Valley, and, because I killed the bear outside some time ago, have enough food to last a long blizzard. Also, I have enough firewood from the area around the house, and water is not an issue (I believe there is some 7 or 8 litres in the fridge at the moment.)

Also, I am one of those survivalists you mentioned, so what exactly do you want my opinion on? I'd be glad to offer it.

Oh, even I stayed there. And lived 41 days.. I thought people like you know what is needed(items) in real life. I mean, Crafted items.

Ahh. Thank you for clarifying.

Well, normally, when I go out to do my survival trips (much to the chagrin of the park rangers of Gates of the Arctic National Park), I have a load of man-made tools to carry around, as do each of my friends who participate. In fact, I'll be in the air later today to go up north and conduct this year's contest (forecast for a -21 degree Fahrenheit high Christmas Eve).

Anyhow, that aside, I think that Hinterland has what they need in the game, and that, while other crafting ideas are a wonderful idea, I don't have much other for ideas. Maybe a slingshot for hunting rabbits and birds in the game.

A crude hatchet would be a good one as well, as a hatchet is a very important gear piece, especially early on. It would be fragile, but easy to craft and able to cut up some wood in a pinch for an emergency fire. Also, possibly a stone knife.

While not a crafting item, I'd love to see NPCs in the sandbox version as well. You could trade, interact, and compete with these NPCs in order to survive; share your shelter for a night, trade for medical supplies, become traveling companions, or fight to defend your hard-earned supplies, or steal your opponent's when he/she leaves to go looting.

Maybe a few new articles of clothing as well? Moccasins to wear over your boots, a mask to assist in keeping your face warm (I hate it when my nose is freezing). Also, you can break down clothing to make bandages in the event you don't have any.

For fires, you could build a variety of different related objects: a spit to help cook meat faster, a reflective wall to bounce heat back into your camp, a platform in order to start a fire places you can't normally (I.e., a certain boxcar which is useless other than a place to hide from those wolves). The list goes on.

Of course, I do not have the only ideas. I'm sure there are a plethora of other ones out there you'd all like to see.

Ahh. Thank you for clarifying.

Well, normally, when I go out to do my survival trips (much to the chagrin of the park rangers of Gates of the Arctic National Park), I have a load of man-made tools to carry around, as do each of my friends who participate. In fact, I'll be in the air later today to go up north and conduct this year's contest (forecast for a -21 degree Fahrenheit high Christmas Eve).

Anyhow, that aside, I think that Hinterland has what they need in the game, and that, while other crafting ideas are a wonderful idea, I don't have much other for ideas. Maybe a slingshot for hunting rabbits and birds in the game.

A crude hatchet would be a good one as well, as a hatchet is a very important gear piece, especially early on. It would be fragile, but easy to craft and able to cut up some wood in a pinch for an emergency fire. Also, possibly a stone knife.

While not a crafting item, I'd love to see NPCs in the sandbox version as well. You could trade, interact, and compete with these NPCs in order to survive; share your shelter for a night, trade for medical supplies, become traveling companions, or fight to defend your hard-earned supplies, or steal your opponent's when he/she leaves to go looting.

Maybe a few new articles of clothing as well? Moccasins to wear over your boots, a mask to assist in keeping your face warm (I hate it when my nose is freezing). Also, you can break down clothing to make bandages in the event you don't have any.

For fires, you could build a variety of different related objects: a spit to help cook meat faster, a reflective wall to bounce heat back into your camp, a platform in order to start a fire places you can't normally (I.e., a certain boxcar which is useless other than a place to hide from those wolves). The list goes on.

Of course, I do not have the only ideas. I'm sure there are a plethora of other ones out there you'd all like to see.

Thank you for all your informations. reflective wall to heat is good to be idea. In TLD it's hard to keep fire during windy. Maybe it can be added. And moccasin, If game adds various items not only upgraded, we might choose one between two what to make. I mean, mocassin add weight

I also like to see interlactions with npcs in sandbox.

Should I change topic scale from contents to recipes and items?

Having far more recepes for crafting is a given. Necessity is a mother of invention, as they say. Current situation is rather absurd, where player can sit on ton of sticks, yet cant make even crappy arrows out of them.

At least a dozen maps, to ravel, to explore, to set events in. Some with specific conditions, like canyon for example, where is a constant strong wind present.

Random events, both repeatable, like animal migration(how about no deer but shitload of wolves everywhere) or meteorite shower, and onetime, like player can hear a helicopter flying over him on Highway map, then it crashes in to the ice of the gulf(so, since helicopter fuel is burning its slowly sinking, plus ice integrity is compromised; either player try to wait it out and go for what can be saved a few hours later, or try to pick stuff literally from the fire; and eventually wreck will go under in either case).

Player conditioning, eg skills. Its always a good motivation to continue playing, to get stronger, faster and more resilient.

Random events, both repeatable, like animal migration(how about no deer but shitload of wolves everywhere) or meteorite shower, and onetime, like player can hear a helicopter flying over him on Highway map, then it crashes in to the ice of the gulf(so, since helicopter fuel is burning its slowly sinking, plus ice integrity is compromised; either player try to wait it out and go for what can be saved a few hours later, or try to pick stuff literally from the fire; and eventually wreck will go under in either case).

Player conditioning, eg skills. Its always a good motivation to continue playing, to get stronger, faster and more resilient.

+1. It is a good idea. And If pack of wolves across as random.

I updated beginning topics with contains good idea like this. I miss thought bigger. Thank you all for replies.

Archived