Clothing Suggestions

Lesnik

So far, pretty good variety. There are some gaps that I find very curious though.

Crafted items: Please incorporate headcover and underclothing. I would be perfectly satisfied with a rabbitskin vest that can be worn under jackets and a rabbitskin hat of some sort, even if it is just ripping the skin off the animal and wearing it as a hat, adorable [blank staring judging] eyes and all. Some sort of socks or leggings that can be layered on would also be of use; I would suggest simple foot-wraps which can be made from squares of cloth. Those three items would satisfactorily complete the set of crafted clothing. This would also give us something to do with the three meter high stacks of rabbit pelts we accrue in the long game.

Rabbit skin garments are fairly fragile and would require frequent repair... if this required more rabbit skin to do rather than generic leather or cloth resources, that would be superb.

Yes, the wolfskin coat has a hood, but this is the subarctic tundra. As they say in the current vernacular, "Layers bruh."

Existing items: The possibility to improve clothes would be nice to see. Right now there's a lot of newspapers around, far more than I'll ever need for kindling. A well known survival technique is to stuff clothing with dry leaves or paper: dry leaves unavailable in this context, but lots of dry paper available. At the risk of making the clothing slightly (~20%) more vulnerable to damage perhaps, particularly in falls or mauls, as the stretched fabric with the layer of paper underneath would be more likely to rip if it catches.

Edit:

Moccasins or other easy to make foot-cover would be helpful in those -1 potential base locations where you need something on your feet but don't want to wear down your good boots or other gear. I can't be the only person who has "outdoors" and "indoors" sets of clothing. The importance of having something on your feet in these conditions can't be stressed enough; running around out of doors in stockingfeet is a good way to lose feet. A mechanics change that accounts for moisture, cold, conduction, and convection heat loss would be a good addition that would force more realistic gameplay simply by its inclusion: it would make the game more difficult, but in a very intuitive way for most of the playerbase.

+1 on headgear and undergarment crafting.

I think a nice wolf skin cap lined with rabbit fur would be awesome, say using one wolf pelt for the base of the head gear with a wolf tail and the lining and ear flaps would be made out two rabbit skins. probably would take some cured gut as well to stitch it all together. rabbit skin leggings would take a minimum of two hides per leg to craft using cured gut as well.

+1 for craftable headgear & undergarments

I find it very annoying that once I've made myself a pair of rabbit fur mittens I have no use for harvesting rabbits pelts every time I harvest a rabbit; it's not worth the time and calories burned to harvest another rabbit pelt when I've got 2 dozen cured ones lying around on the floor at my home base already.

Also, their dead, partially harvested corpses clutter up the clearings that I snare rabbits at, forcing me to often move my snares to clear spaces the bodies don't pile up on each other.

SO, why couldn't I use rabbit pelts to craft or even repair more articles of clothing?

Here are my suggested uses for rabbit pelts:

• Use Rabbit Pelts to Partially Repair Fur Clothing
    • Rather than trekking out in the middle of snow storm to stalk down a deer just to repair that small tear in your deerskin pants, why not use one of those rabbit pelts you have stacked up in a heaping mound on the floor that you haven't found a use for yet? :roll:
    • Rabbit pelts can be used as a substitute material to repair fur clothing, though to a limited degree
    • The initial repair would use 1 rabbit pelt and 1 gut, and would repair the damaged article of clothing by up to 15%
    • The next repair would repair only 14%, then the next would repair only 13%, and so on until the fifth repair, which would repair the article of clothing one final time at only 10%
    • After that fifth repair, you would not be able to repair that piece of clothing until you repaired it atleast once with the animal pelt that currently does the job (i.e. deer pelt for deerskin boots, wolf pelt for wolf-skin jacket, etc.), in which case the next repair you perform with rabbit pelts would begin again at 15%
    • In total, the maximum amount you could repair any clothing item with rabbit pelts (excluding rabbit mittens and cap, of course) would be 70%

[*]Rabbit Fur Cap

• A cap made out of warm, fluffy rabbit's fur that has a fold-down flap that covers your ears and neck.
    • Provides +3.6 F (+2 C) in felt temperature; +3.6 F (+2 C) in wind chill protection
    • Weighs 2.2 lbs (1 kg), 4x more than a Toque or Wool Cap
    • Craftable; requires 3 rabbit pelts, 2 guts,, 1 sewing kit or fishing tackle, and 8 hours to fabricate
    • Repairable; 1 rabbit pelt, 1 gut,, 1 sewing kit or fishing tackle, and 30 minutes repairs 30%

And while I'm at it, here are some other clothing items I'd like to see in the game:

• Balavaca (a.k.a. Ski Mask)
    • A knitted piece of headwear that covers head, neck, nose, mouth, and ears
    • Can be worn with scarf, but not with other hats
    • Provides +1.8 F (+1 C) felt temperature; +1.8 F (+1 C) wind chill protection
    • Weighs 0.55 lbs (0.25 kg), same as Toque or Wool Cap
    • Repairable; 1 cloth, 1 sewing kit or fishing tackle, and 30 minutes repairs 60%
    • Scavangable; found where hats and clothing is usually found

[*]Salopettes (a.k.a. Ski Pants)

• Synthetic, down-filled ski pants. Keeps your legs warm but lacks in wind-proofing.
    • Provides +3.6 F (+2 C) felt temperature; +1.8 F (+1 C) wind chill protection
    • Weighs 1.65 lbs (0.75 kg), slightly more than Jeans or Cargo Pants
    • Repairable; 1 cloth, 1 sewing kit or fishing tackle, and 45 minutes repairs 30%
    • Scavangable; found where clothing is usually found

[*]Baseball Cap

• Doesn't do much good against the wind, but it does keep your head slightly warmer.
    • Provides +0.9 F (+0.5 C) felt temperature; +0 F (+0 C) wind chill protection
    • Weighs 0.55 lbs (0.25 kg), same as Toque or Wool Cap
    • Repairable; 1 cloth, 1 sewing kit or fishing tackle, and 30 minutes repairs 75%

[*]Hunter's Cap

• A plaid cap with a fold-down flap that covers your ears and neck.
    • Provides +2.2 F (+1.2 C) felt temperature; +2.2 F (+1.2 C) wind chill protection
    • Weighs 1.1 lbs (0.5 kg), 2x as much as Toque or Wool Cap
    • Repairable; 1 cloth, 1 sewing kit or fishing tackle, and 45 minutes repairs 60%

[*]Ski Goggles

• Keeps the wind from freezing your eyelids shut. Might also keep Fluffy from tearing your eyes out. :shock:
    • Can worn with any hat and scarf
    • Provides +0 F (+0 C) felt temperature; +0.9 F (+0.5 C) wind chill protection
    • Weighs 0.55 lbs (0.25 kg)
    • Not repairable
    • Scavangable; found where clothing is usually found

[*]Improvised Scarf

• A hand-stitched cloth scarf
    • Provides +0.9 F (+0 C) felt temperature; +0.9 F (+0.5 C) wind chill protection
    • Weighs 0.55 lbs (0.25 kg)
    • Craftable; requires 2 cloth, 1 sewing kit or fishing tackle, and 1 hours to fabricate
    • Repairable; 1 cloth, 1 sewing kit or fishing tackle, and 30 minutes repairs 50%

And final, while they might not technically be considered clothing and can't worn while walking around, they still provide you with a warmth bonus while you sleep, so I'll include them on this wish list:

• Fleece Blanket
    • A light blanket made out fleece.
    • Used in combination with bed roll to increase warmth bonus while sleeping.
    • Provides +1.8 F (+1 C) felt temperature; +0 F (+0 C) wind chill protection
    • Weighs 1.1 lbs (0.5 kg)
    • Craftable; requires 2 fleece sweaters, 1 cloth, 1 sewing kit or fishing tackle, and 2 hours to fabricate
    • Repairable; 1 cloth, 1 sewing kit or fishing tackle, and 30 minutes to repair 40%
    • Scavangable; found where clothing is usually found and also on beds

[*]Wool Blanket

• A heavy wool-woven blanket.
    • Used in combination with bed roll to increase warmth bonus while sleeping.
    • Provides +3.6 F (+2 C) felt temperature; +1.8 F (+1 C) wind chill protection
    • Weighs 2.2 lbs (1 kg)
    • Craftable; requires 2 thin wool sweaters, 1 clot, 1 sewing kit or fishing tackle, and 2.5 hours to fabricate
    • Repairable; 1 cloth, 1 sewing kit or fishing tackle, and 30 minutes to repair 40%
    • Scavangable; found where clothing is usually found and also on beds

Let me toss out a clothing suggestion, add in bed sheets.

Have white bed sheets that can be harvested into cloth or used at a crafting station to create a cloak.

This cloak provides modest protection against cold and wind chill, and takes the place of an overcoat. But what it really does, is it helps lower your visible profile to animals. Think of it as camouflage

Speaking of bed sheet.youve got me thinking maybe wiuld be cool if we could craft a bearskin/ wolf pelt bedsheet ,then you could out it on any bed you wish, ie trappers cabin for extra warmth or one of the other cabins that are quite cold already like the lookout towers etc, might be a bit pointless i suppose, but let me know what you guys think.

Doesn't it bother anyone else that despite the large amount of meat and guts that can be harvested from a bear (and a presumably large hide) you can't craft some sort of coat from bear hide? Sure, there's already a wolfskin coat, but that's relatively easy to make. I feel like a bearhide coat or something would be a good ultimate item to protect against the cold. Also, I noticed you can't craft an inner layer torso item yet. Do you suppose there are any plans to implement a craftable inner torso item?

I always thought there should be a bearskin cloak that you can make.

-- additional clothing slot (ie, not replacing anything else)

-- quite heavy (not something you'd always want to wear)

-- small to moderate warmth bonus, larger wind resistance bonus

-- while wearing it, your other clothing takes 75% less wind damage (but it still takes the damage, as you're using it to "protect" yourself and your other clothes from the blizzard)

I've also wanted to see "composite" crafted clothing - ie, fur hood with rabbit fur on the inside, wolfskin on the outside.

Archived