Candles - even more important with latest update

DarkUncleBoh

I know several people, myself included, have advocated for candles being added to the game -- low light, zero wind tolerance, but long lasting. Ideally I'd like to see both craftable and lootable, but for the moment I'd settle for either.

With the new feature of being able to place items, the need to have some small additional light indoors is greater than ever. As it stands we have several options for light, but none of them fill the same niche that candles would (either long burning paraffin "emergency" candles, or crafted candles from animal fat / fish oil) - something to provide cheap, long lasting, low levels of light that can be placed where you want it.

I suppose one could argue that torches could be used... but one, I would call them "medium" lasting as opposed to long lasting, and two laying burning torches around the interior of your home is about as ghetto as can be.

Please please please... now more than ever it is time for candles!

+1 on the candles idea

you would need some fat and tallow to make a good candle so that means you are gonna need to kill a couple of bears... deer, wolves and rabbits are too lean. that would make an excellent additional crafting item for a later update. but for now if you want to illuminate your domicle, I just make a big fire and place lit torches all over the place.

I made a three great fires at the same time up in the lighthouse at night up in Desolation Point and filled every floor with burning torches and then went outside to view it and it was magnificent!

+1 for placeable candles.

Maybe add it with a craftable "can oil lamp" you can always see in a survival guide.

1 scrap metal + 1 cloth = X Can oil lamp (X depends on balancing)

This could then be filled like a proper lantern, but would degrade faster(repair with cloth) and wouldn't stand the wind.

+1 all the way.

Kerosene is a finite resource, and 1 liter of it per 4 hours just to illuminate my subterranean dwelling is a hard bargain. Getting some fat and tallow from wildlife for candles should definitely go into the next update, whenever that might be.

Candles are definitely a reasonable step, even if it's just finding them rather than being able to make them. I live in an apartment in a very urban area, and even I have both a 100 hour emergency candle, and heaps of regular tapers, lying around. Seems a bit odd not to find them in a backwoods area with limited electricity!

Seems a bit odd not to find them in a backwoods area with limited electricity!

Agreed.

While I'd love to see both crafted candles and super-long-lasting emergency candles as lootables, at the moment I'd settle for either. The main thing is to have candles in some form, to cover the need for cheap, long(ish) lasting, low level light sources for placement in interiors.

Archived