LAYERED CLOTHING

SonoftheThrone

Please consider allowing a finite number sweaters to be placed in layers on the character in order to increase warmth and wind chill resistance by volume as an alternative to finding "certain" items.

"There's more than one way to skin a cat" on the matter. Four sweaters layered on top of one another might be as good as having a nice wind resistant jacket/coat. Thoughts?

Sincerely,

SonoftheThrone

PS-Add a sweat mechanic so that if you sweat from overexertion, that it can be detrimental to your health in frigid weather (as explained by Les Stroud of Survivor Man) in regards to become sweaty in a subzero environment. You'd start to lose body heat BECAUSE of sweat building up underneath your clothing.

Sincerely,

SonoftheThrone

I like this idea. They already implement the ability to wear a sweater and coat. I'd like to be able to place a second sweater into the slot if I didn't have a jacket or vest already, and or vice versa. (wearing two jackets would look funny and be uncomfortable but It'd be really warm!)

I also really like the idea of sweating. Though its hard to say what overexertion could mean. Would harvesting a deer count for overexertion? Also it'd be cool if running would increase your temperature when in frigid temperatures briefly (Heat up briefly from sprinting but need to get somewhere warm before the sweat freezes you.)

I like this idea. They already implement the ability to wear a sweater and coat. I'd like to be able to place a second sweater into the slot if I didn't have a jacket or vest already, and or vice versa. (wearing two jackets would look funny and be uncomfortable but It'd be really warm!)

I also really like the idea of sweating. Though its hard to say what overexertion could mean. Would harvesting a deer count for overexertion? Also it'd be cool if running would increase your temperature when in frigid temperatures briefly (Heat up briefly from sprinting but need to get somewhere warm before the sweat freezes you.)

Thanks for the reply! Les Stroud stated that sweating in a cold environment was a risk to your health as it would LOWER body temperature. More or less, you'd have liquid on your clothes/skin and it would eventually freeze on your body/face which would adorn you in pieces of tiny ice where applicable. Sweating is realistic, risky in this scenario. It'd be another risk challenge for the game!

+1

I definitely want to see overheating / exertion factored into core temperature, but I like the way clothing works at the moment. Being able to stay warm outside for longer is what opens many of the gane's doors, and if you could trivialise it somewhat by layering I think the game would lose some of the balance achieved by having different items.

I'd like to see a greater diversity between items that protect from windchill and I items that provide base temperature though, to add some interesting choices to the mix.

I definitely want to see overheating / exertion factored into core temperature, but I like the way clothing works at the moment. Being able to stay warm outside for longer is what opens many of the gane's doors, and if you could trivialise it somewhat by layering I think the game would lose some of the balance achieved by having different items.

I'd like to see a greater diversity between items that protect from windchill and I items that provide base temperature though, to add some interesting choices to the mix.

If you get clothes wet, it should IMMEDIATELY start raising your COLD meter. I mean regardless of the difficulty game play settings. Hypothermia would set in super fast w/ wet clothes.

• 1 month later...

If you get clothes wet, it should IMMEDIATELY start raising your COLD meter. I mean regardless of the difficulty game play settings. Hypothermia would set in super fast w/ wet clothes.

Go jump in a lake! Seriously...

There is a wet/freezing clothing mechanic that currently only effects falling through the ice (to fall through ice you have to ignore the weak ice warning). Could be expanded. Travel through snowfields gets pants, socks, and boots wet... Blizzard gets outerwear wet... Overheating gets underwear/socks wet... Scarf gets continually wet from respiration... but difficult to calculate I guess if player is not wearing a coat ( or going commando :shock: )

Introduce it on Stalker, since it would be hard for new players to fully understand before they die on day two...

+1 to "wet clothes" mechanic!

+1 on wet clothes that need/can be dried out.

Layered clothing could be nice, but would need to be seriously balanced out like if you take on two pieces of thick clothing then you'll have problems with moving or at least I'd love to see a person who can take on two thick ski jackets and still move properly. :P

-1. Although realistic, this would annoy me to no end. Definitely a stalker-type feature. If it were to be true to life, the clothes would likely be wet every day due to the constant hunting, gathering of firewood, snow, sweat, etc. They'd require constant attention and drying (which would require even more time and firewood); turning The Long Dark into Laundry Simulator 2015.

There's a certain suspension of reality when it comes to gaming so that the experience is both programmable and enjoyable. In game I don't have to take time to brush my teeth, bathe, relieve myself, etc. This all just magically happens; I like to imagine that my character dries his clothes as needed as well, which balances out why it takes 10 minutes to look through the fridge. Please let me keep the magic. :)

Archived