Environment recovery

EternityTide

After seeing the post by ThresholdSeven about campfires, I was wondering that perhaps the game needs to have a natural "turnover" decay timer built into the environment.

This would affect all objects sitting outside, such as burnt out campfires, corpses etc etc.

A new series of object models should be incorporated to demonstrate, for example, the decay of a campfire's ashes into a few frosbitten coals, then into a black smudge on the ground, then it dissapears entirely. This would allow the game to delete objects without the game becoming to "gamey", as in, the game progresses in a realistic fashion.

The same thing should occur with corpses. As the game progresses, the corpses should become more and more ravaged and/or buried under the snow. Eventually all that would be visible would be a mitten or a boot protruding from a snow drift until a blizzard rolls in and covers that too.

I feel that this would facilitate the game's "cleanup" mechanism in a realistic capacity, without putting too much stress on the developers.

+1

If the human corpses disappear after time, we will need something else for the crows to circle...

I have seen them circle downed animals. So, if we leave an animal with a little bit of resources left it should attract crows. OR, are crows only attracted to downed animals that spawn with the initial game?

I believe only the ravaged corpses that spawn at the beginning of the game.

I would love to see crows circle fresh corpses. I also think that corpses should stick around longer than they do now (where they disappear about 12 hours after everything is taken out of them), perhaps with a carcass model that identifies "nothing left here", but would continue to be crow bait for a week, or a blizzard or two, whichever comes first.

I believe only the ravaged corpses that spawn at the beginning of the game.

I would love to see crows circle fresh corpses. I also think that corpses should stick around longer than they do now (where they disappear about 12 hours after everything is taken out of them), perhaps with a carcass model that identifies "nothing left here", but would continue to be crow bait for a week, or a blizzard or two, whichever comes first.

I think a downed animal should also attract predators to finish off the remains. If a wolf or bear spawns in the area AND if they can see or smell it, they head over. They could then finish it off or scatter the remains so the snow build up erases what little is left.

I would love to bait a wolf or a bear near a blind using this method.

I think a downed animal should also attract predators to finish off the remains. If a wolf or bear spawns in the area AND if they can see or smell it, they head over. They could then finish it off or scatter the remains so the snow build up erases what little is left.

I would love to bait a wolf or a bear near a blind using this method.

+1

After seeing the post by ThresholdSeven about campfires, I was wondering that perhaps the game needs to have a natural "turnover" decay timer built into the environment.

This would affect all objects sitting outside, such as burnt out campfires, corpses etc etc.

A new series of object models should be incorporated to demonstrate, for example, the decay of a campfire's ashes into a few frosbitten coals, then into a black smudge on the ground, then it dissapears entirely. This would allow the game to delete objects without the game becoming to "gamey", as in, the game progresses in a realistic fashion.

The same thing should occur with corpses. As the game progresses, the corpses should become more and more ravaged and/or buried under the snow. Eventually all that would be visible would be a mitten or a boot protruding from a snow drift until a blizzard rolls in and covers that too.

I feel that this would facilitate the game's "cleanup" mechanism in a realistic capacity, without putting too much stress on the developers.

+1

Also +1 to AmericanSteel's suggestions

Archived