All I Need Is a Little Guidance

kaynesyduin

As for as navigation goes, I wander around looking for landmarks until a blizzard disorientates and, then, freezes me 'ad mortem'.

----

What if we had compasses, a map, (showing topographical information and land marks [rare-find]), and paper [sheets/book] with pens [lasts long a time] & pencils [need tool to sharpen; low durability] that allows you to, either, draw a map [on a sheet of paper] as you trek through the unknown or record notes/a journal [in the book].

Compasses wouldn't really work with the geomagnetic event...

It's been discussed and covered over the past year, but a map really isn't intended for the sandbox mode. It's about exploration, learning to recognize landmarks [doesn't happen overnight, but areas start making more and more recognizable sense].

One of the big differences with The Long Dark is that it's old school no hand holding... Players are so comfortable with games giving them maps and radar blips showing every hidden enemy and loot location, as well as giant green arrows pointing "This Way!" - so it takes a little while to adjust to a game making you work things out on your own. Then again, that's also one of the huge appeals of the game too :)

TIPS: On Mystery Lake, pay attention to the far mountains way off in the distance - they can help you orient yourself for direction. As well, the tree shadows shift with the passing sun, so that may help as well. Additionally, watch for landmarks (rock outcroppings, fallen trees, streams, tracks ;) , and other visible areas. With the current 3 main maps + the transition maps available once you find their passages, there's about 25 sq km [just under 16 sq miles] to explore.

Don't forget, you aren't restricted to just the main obvious paths - you can also explore a lot of less obvious areas (there are often surprises all around). Don't expect to see everything in just a few plays - there's a lot to explore, and after more and more runs areas will start to become much more familiar for getting around. 8-)

Part of the thrill of the game is being able to deal with blizzards. In the beginning you are completely lost but the more you play the game and the better you know the terrain, the less deadly they become. Use whatever landmark or orientation point you have at your disposal to find your way to a safe place, say a road, mountain range, familiar tree lines etc.

Here are some tipps:

- first and foremost: the instant you realize a blizzard is happening (you get a few seconds before you're completely blind), turn into a direction you know there's a safe place. When you are in ML on the frozen lake for example, turn towards the next fishing hut or cabin and then just walk blindly forward - let go of the mouse and just press w. Take wolfs into account though, don't march straight into a pack of wolves. When you are in high terrain, turn towards the road or the next cave you know.

- When you are up in the mountains in PV, just follow the bottom of the mountain range. First see tipp above and turn towards the mountain range, then follow it left or right. If you know your surroundings a bit you'll know where the closest cave is but no matter which direction you go, in PV there will almost always be a cave. But beware of bears ;)

- When you are in a forest, turn in the direction that leads outside the forest to a road or railroad.

- where ever you go, familiarize yourself with the environment, keep in mind where you came from and what was there. In the easiest of cases all you have todo is a 180 turn and backtrack to where you came from.

- if you are forced to camp between rocks by a fire - DON'T SLEEP there. Instead make a fire and boil water for as long as the blizzard is going, one litre at a time. For one the fire might go out due to wind change and you freeze to death or a wolf/bear might attack you and eat you.

- you should always have a cup or two of coffee (or more) already brewed in your backpack. This helps avoiding sleeping in the blizzard due to maxed fatique and saved my behind many many times. It does not need to be hot, just already in a cup to lower your fatique. Coffee has become the loot I cheer the most if I find it, second only to ammo.

hope this helps ;)

Archived