Bonus level: Mine adventure with lava!

I know this has been recommended a lot of times (Due to that i admittably haven't even read half of them) but has any recommended the mine level to be over-the-top adventurous with lava? I don't know what kind of fictional catastrophe Hinterland has planned upon release, but in the end i don't think it matters all too much when it all comes out since the center of the gaming is clearly the art of surviving anyway, so why can't this particular level be more of an experience where the main difficulty isn't food or wolves, but lack of light and gas/lava?

I imagine a more fantastical concept since lava isn't a very ordinary sight in Canada i would guess, but perhaps this unusually deep mine have shaken the earth enough to pop cracks of lava up and it leaves you with dangerous paths and fairly illuminated patterns in where to go next while lanterns are scarce but also your most important tool to survive next to limited meal (which should be bugs or scavenged corpses that died of gas) as well as an exclusive use of gasmask in this new survival setting. There are bugs that shines in the dark, collect many enough to fill a glass of them and make an organic lamp for temporary use, choose if you want to recycle the lamp for its value of proteins (they are bugs) early on or have them spent on their lifecycle as your lightbulbs. Aren't there traditionally safe points in large mines that could replace the acting houses that we loot? Gladly have some crystals to make knives or combine items to make firesteel from (difference between firesteel and firerod!).

Basically just unlock the 'mine level' between the already existing maps, and give it more spice by making it more exclusive to itself.

Yay or nay? :|

As much as I like to encourage imaginative thinking, I'll have to be nay-- I'd prefer if TLD kept it a little more towards the side of realism. What you describe sounds like a different game altogether to be honest... which is fine, but TLD can only be so many things at once.

I dont understand what you meant about mines, but I immediately thought: Iceland. The combination of volcanism and cold has a great artistic appeal. So yes perhaps someone in the studio will like your idea.

You should lay out your ideas for a new map around a volcano. I think the abandoned mine had been suggested by someone too (he made nice concept sketches), it may have been coincidence though.

P.S. that is to say I like the idea of lava in the game but would rather think it should be overground. Plus, it would save matches.

I think something a bit more in tune with the area BUT just as dangerous, a tidal cave. The general water level of the cave rises and lowers depending on the moon and tide. During hard storms, the water could enter the cave through certain areas quickly, causing water to jet, spout and fall at different locations.

I am not about making this a puzzle location. Where you need to move the boat from low tide from X to Y, so at high tide I can move it to Z and then have a spout take me to A. Just some simple movement areas. That said, some of the areas could have dangerous thin ice and other areas could be falls. Some of the fall might be short (like in the Mystic Cave) and others could be deadly. Also some could drop you into knee deep water and others full submersion (and probably death in under a minute).

This sort of area could allow the players to reach an inaccessible point on the Coastal Highway or go to another zone altogether. This Water Cave route could also be guarded by a unique bear, just like Fluffy for the dam. Do polar bears come this far south?!

In the same vein, it would be cool to use the Dam as more of a zone instead of a large building... giving the players access to another zone (maybe a large lake behind the dam with all the failed hydro electrics to boot). Just add another door and have it open ontop of the dam and off we go.

I dont understand what you meant about mines, but I immediately thought: Iceland. The combination of volcanism and cold has a great artistic appeal. So yes perhaps someone in the studio will like your idea.

You should lay out your ideas for a new map around a volcano. I think the abandoned mine had been suggested by someone too (he made nice concept sketches), it may have been coincidence though.

Nothing special really, just the basic "Digged so deep we hit a scary ore of earth blood" and popped some lava pockets. When i was a lad i played a lot with the computer game Lego: Rock Raiders, it was such a thrill with the underground life!

You're right regarding the map, however, even if Hinterland liked the idea, they would never accept my own level design, as a team they are bound to create their own level in their own image so i would say it serves little value.

Archived