Can't we get more light inside buildings?

I must say, I can no longer stand being inside buildings for anything else but sleeping. ca 5 months ago I made a complaint that it was too dark inside buildings and now, it has become much worse. The gamma feature was removed. Lantern fuel is extremely precious, and the interior of buildings is darker than ever. In fact it starts to feel depressing to be inside. While there are cases where it makes more sense to me (Hydro Dam, Mine), but in most others it just doesnt. Some places like Jackrabbit are so dark as if all shutters were down, and the inside of fishing huts is so terribly depressing. As if they were situated underground. But if you could just leave the door open, it would be completely normal.

Something has to be possible, either we could open the windows or doors. But it is not something that would simply go away with candle light (another sugestion in this forum), because a candle is still artificial light. When the sun is shining brightly outside I just dont want to enter a room that is dark as a grave. And seriously, who would in real live spend midday inside a pitch-dark hut with just the light of a candle?

Someone who doesn't want to freeze to death in a howling snowstorm?

I agree that the buildings tend to be too dark, but I have noticed that some seem to be lighter in morning.

I guess it comes down to how many light settings they have for interiors, and whether they are based on time of day or on weather.

It would be nice if there was any light at all in buildings at night, but I think they want us to use up our matches or lamp fuel.

IRL I would indeed try to get more sunlight into the house, especially if it was my base. Opening curtains, removing snow and ice from the windows, cleaning them etc. The problem with this in TLD is, the more light the windows let through, the move visible the outside should be. The reason the windows aren't see-through is because the outside isn't actually rendered when you're inside. But still, the interiors could be a bit lighter without needing see-through windows.

I think the main reason the interiors are so dark is to force the player to use a light source if he doesn't want to miss items lying around. If interiors where lighter, you wouldn't have to use your lantern/ flare/ match as often.

To solve this maybe it can take a good deal of time to make the interior lighter (removing snow and ice from the windows) like at least several hours. You wouldn't do that with every house just to loot it, but you would use it at your base so you wouldn't be sitting in the dark all the time.

Heyho,

i would also prefer more sunlight indoors. It's annoying when you enter a house on a sunny day and you can't see anything. That's not realistic and nobody would live like that (in such a situation i would remove ice from windows before (!) entering the house).

Like Goethe said: "Mehr Licht!" :mrgreen:

Greez,

Atta

Right now the game gives a "???" for hours left in daylight/darkness when the outside conditions are terrible. If it is daytime and the conditions are not "???" please let in more light (I would say at least double the lums that are given now). If the conditions drop to "???" then the light conditions that are being used now would be fine.

The windows are frosted and covered with snow so they are blocking a lot of incoming light. Also, if you've ever been inside a house in BC midday during the winter, they get depressingly dark with no lights on. Plus we make it dark so that you use the light sources, and if you want to be thorough with your looting making you use those light sources to get everything in the interior.

Jeremy

I do wish there were more light cast by fires. In the pleasant farmhouse, there is almost NO light cast from the stove. I understand about the fuel thing, but we do want to have SOME fun in the game and a hair more light would make it more enjoyable...for me anyway.

Also, if you've ever been inside a house in BC midday during the winter, they get depressingly dark with no lights on.

As dark as this?

file.php?id=1225

Plus we make it dark so that you use the light sources, and if you want to be thorough with your looting making you use those light sources to get everything in the interior.

That's fine, but there is no need to claim houses in Canada are as dark as night and need artificial light at all times, even on sunny days. If it was a deliberate decision then there is no point discussing it.

The windows are frosted and covered with snow so they are blocking a lot of incoming light. Also, if you've ever been inside a house in BC midday during the winter, they get depressingly dark with no lights on. Plus we make it dark so that you use the light sources, and if you want to be thorough with your looting making you use those light sources to get everything in the interior.

Jeremy

Like I (and other people) said: we would remove the ice and snow if we are to spend more than a little time in a specific house (like our base).

I also gave a solution to prevent using this clearing of ice and snow for scavenging houses without a light source: make it take a good amount of time like several hours. You would only do it with houses where you plan to stay or where you come frequently.

I also gave a solution to prevent using this clearing of ice and snow for scavenging houses without a light source: make it take a good amount of time like several hours. You would only do it with houses where you plan to stay or where you come frequently.

And you must do it again after some time.

Yes, An interesting idea to scrape the windows and such. I'll pass that one one, though it would take some effort to implement as the interiors and exteriors are separate from each other and only connected through a trigger at the door.

Also, if you've ever been inside a house in BC midday during the winter, they get depressingly dark with no lights on.

As dark as this?

file.php?id=1225

That's fine, but there is no need to claim houses in Canada are as dark as night and need artificial light at all times, even on sunny days. If it was a deliberate decision then there is no point discussing it.

Yes, some houses and rooms can be that dark with no lights on on a cloudy day. On a sunny day a little brighter yes. But the windows are frosted and snow covered blocking much of that sunny light.

didn't say all houses in Canada get that dark, just said BC, mostly just the island because it's mostly cloudy from fall through to mid spring.

anyways, there's reasoning behind the current lighting, but that's not to say that it's going to stay like that forever, the game is always evolving as we continue developing so many things can change from now to release.

Jeremy

Oh yeah that is another thing that has compounded in the recent patches. Fire used to be fine to light up a room but now ~3m from a stove begins complete darkness. I understand the rationale behind the pitch-black interiors (meaning that the devs have it easier to hide things under beds), but lightless fire is harder to understand.

Oh yeah that is another thing that has compounded in the recent patches. Fire used to be fine to light up a room but now ~3m from a stove begins complete darkness. I understand the rationale behind the pitch-black interiors (meaning that the devs have it easier to hide things under beds), but lightless fire is harder to understand.

Hear hear! The lantern deserves easily two additional meters of decent illumination in its proximity.

And you must do it again after some time.

Yes, I like that!

I get that this (not just having to do the cleaning again after some time, but cleaning windows of snow and ice at all) would not be easy to implement considering the way TLD is set up with interiors separated from the outside map, but not undoable I would think. I could work out a possible solution here, but then someone will come along shortly stating I can't design a solution because I don't know how the game is build (they would be right off course), so I'm not going to.

Yeah, stoves give off very little light. Certainly less than I would expect, but then I've never been in a room that had a stove as it's only a light source. I have been in rooms with only a fire in a fireplace and I can tell you you can easily make out everything in the room when your eyes are adjusted to the light. I was still able to go into the (open) kitchen and get us some drinks (getting glasses from the cabinet, a soda bottle from another cabinet, pouring the drinks etc) without spilling anything. The fire was 7-8 meters away from the kitchen with some furniture in the way.

So yeah, I think stoves and especially fireplaces/ campfires give off too little light. But again I expect that this is intentional, to promote the use of lantern/ flare/ match to see where you;re going.

Archived