Oil lamp

BigJayA

Love the game. I was one of the late comers who sat eagerly awaiting my pre ordered steam release. I finally signed up here so that I could put some ideas out there in hopes that they may be heard.

Oil lamps. Adjustable. Not as bright as but last a lot longer than the lamp currently in the game.

Hurricane-Lantern-235-225-255-285-.jpg

Something like these. I have one and LOVE it.

10mm. It's the go to cartridge for those who need the power of a magnum revolver (somewhere between .357mag and .41mag) in an autoloading platform. I would recommend something akin to the Glock 20 or Glock 40. If I had to choose a defensive weapon to protect myself from threats ranging from man to grizzly bear, I would choose a 10mm. It's a small enough accessory that it could have been carried by the pilot perhaps?

Oh, and thank you for a survival game that doesn't involve zombies! ;)

Eta: I forgot to mention that if Will were carrying a 10mm sidearm in his plane when it went down then he would probably have between 1 and 3 loaded magazines of 10-15 rounds each. 10mm is plenty scarce on shelves as it is so I wouldn't expect to find any additional ammo in the game world. Once it's dry, it's dry.

I too use oil lamps and can confirm that their stamina in light are quite impressive, i would love oil lamps as an alternative in the game! (especially a red one, classic Norwegian style). I usually let it glow the ENTIRE night when sleeping outdoor to keep predators away. The next morning it is still going strong and are almost full still!

I too use oil lamps and can confirm that their stamina in light are quite impressive, i would love oil lamps as an alternative in the game! (especially a red one, classic Norwegian style). I usually let it glow the ENTIRE night when sleeping outdoor to keep predators away. The next morning it is still going strong and are almost full still!

I have one of the gigantic silver ones and use it to mark my camp when night fishing. The game already has lamp oil so I figure the only hard part would be to add the ability to adjust the brightness. Scroll wheel perhaps? AND if the handgun idea is implemented then perhaps we could finally shoot at charging beasties without having to drop our light source first! :o OH OH OH!!1!1!ONEONE! What if the handgun were an option when fighting by hand like the knife or hatchet? Fluffy has you pinned down and you pop a few rounds through to quickly end the fight before taking too much damage.

I'm getting excited again. I need to go stare at the rubber chicken until I calm down. :(

As much as people want pistols in game, they are kinda illegal to carry/purchase in Canada unless you are in the armed forces or a police officer. There's no where really for someone to get a glock or a magnum, and Will being a bush pilot wouldn't be able to get one.

Oil lamp brightness is an interesting idea though and I don't think would be too difficult to implement, we will take this into consideration.

On the handgun note, you could always find one on say a dead officer or a dead soldier (national guard type guy or something). So it's not entirely out of the question just because you can't purchase one in Canada.

Jeremy

As much as people want pistols in game, they are kinda illegal to carry/purchase in Canada unless you are in the armed forces or a police officer. There's no where really for someone to get a glock or a magnum, and Will being a bush pilot wouldn't be able to get one.

Oil lamp brightness is an interesting idea though and I don't think would be too difficult to implement, we will take this into consideration.

On the handgun note, you could always find one on say a dead officer or a dead soldier (national guard type guy or something). So it's not entirely out of the question just because you can't purchase one in Canada.

Jeremy

At first I thought you were spot on but then I got curious and had a look.

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/fs-fd/wild-sauvage-eng.htm

"Prohibited firearms include:

•handguns with a barrel length of 105 mm or less and handguns that discharge .25 or .32 calibre ammunition, except for a few specific ones used in International Shooting Union competitions"

"Carrying Handguns and Restricted Long Guns

To be authorized to carry a handgun or restricted long gun for a lawful occupational purpose, such as trapping or working in a wilderness area, an individual must be a Canadian resident, have a firearms licence with restricted privileges and obtain an Authorization to Carry (ATC) permit from the CFP. To apply for an ATC permit, form RCMP 5491, Application for Authorization to Carry Restricted Firearms and Prohibited Handguns, must be submitted. There is a non-refundable fee of $40 to apply for an ATC."

Short of contacting the RCMP to sort out the details, I do believe it is possible for a bush pilot (working in a wilderness area?) to be in possesion of a handgun so long as it has a barrel leingth over 105mm, a magazine capacity not exceeding 10 rounds, and doesn't fire .25 or .32 ammunition. The Glock 40 that I mentioned above has a 153mm barrel, can be obtained with a 10 round magazine, and is chambered in 10mm (.40 caliber).

So in a nutshell it appears that it is possible but Will would more than likely have be a hardcore enthusiast or very, very serious about his safety to be in possesion of a handgun. May as well make him some sort of retired special forces guy. :roll: No big loss though. I would be more than happy with some more readily available hunting rifles firing different types of ammunition. This would make matching the correct ammunition with the rifle essential and help to limit the survivors defensive options to more creative and risky methods.

The original idea being the oil lamp is still much more important to me than any of this, I'm sure a majority of the community would agree. Thanks for taking a look at it Jeremy! :D

What would add to the spook factor of the game is if you found a oil lantern burning in the trappers homestead... means someone has been there not that long ago..

Unless they were only going to the outhouse or woodpile they would extinguish the lamp.

What would add to the spook factor of the game is if you found a oil lantern burning in the trappers homestead... means someone has been there not that long ago..

Unless they were only going to the outhouse or woodpile they would extinguish the lamp.

Yes... which is why it's creepy? it means they are nearby but they've vanished. The fact that you don't know what has happened to them makes it creepy.

Yes... which is why it's creepy? it means they are nearby but they've vanished. The fact that you don't know what has happened to them makes it creepy.

Would go along with the glow in the windows and the smoke wafting from the chimney. Seeing as how the event happened minutes before we take control of our character, it would be reasonable to assume that someone who is using the trappers homestead wouldn't even have a clue that anything has happened. I'm sure that all this will be made to make more sense with the timeline once npcs are added and the story line is filled out. It always seemed off that there would be frozen bodies scattered everywhere what with the event being so fresh and all.

Archived