a few more caves.

caverdude

I found one small one room cave thus far. I think the game could benifit from a few more varied in size and complexity caves. Bigger cave might have multiple entrances. Ground temps in that area are cold at about 4.5c however hypothermia nor freezing could be possible. A cave could be a source for fresh water.

Hey!

I've had the same thoughts, more or less, a few days ago: viewtopic.php?f=59&t=4685

Since maps are fully hand crafted, I'm not sure they will add more caves just for the sake of having them...

I mean that would be nice, few more varied caves here and there, but I think they should spawn just like bunkers in different places for each new game started.

That would had some "variety and surprise" to shelters since they keep every other structures (mainly houses, cabins, etc.) fixed so that you can learn to survive the more you play/die/play/... Which is the main point of having hand crafted maps, am I wright?

Not sure how complex it is to code procedural caves but I suppose the Unity engine should allow that.

Well, will see, it is still in alpha so maybe they will consider the idea if they read this (at least Ryan has read my earlier post) but they surely are busy on much more higher priority things like the UI, new maps, story mode and Unity 5 porting.

Cheers!

I like the idea of caves, I am just not sure how many would exist in that area of BC. There could also be the possibility of mining shafts. While mining shafts do accumulate water, they tend to be polluted (with heavy metals for instance). You are not going to remove that sort of pollution with just boiling. The player is going to need some sort of evaporation trap (like a desalination device) to get potable water.

I do believe more "natural" shelters need to be added. Like a fallen down tree, a large semi hollow trunk, etc. They could be randomly spawned on a map and offer the same level of protection as a car. Some of them could even be large enough to contain a fire.

That said, I think the ability to make a snow cave is critical. It is something the player could construct and would stay clear, as long as it was "maintained". That does not mean it is 100% safe. For instance a wolf could still attempt to dig you out or a widow-maker could fall from a tree straight through your abode. Snow Caves can also collapse, possibly trapping the survivor in an avalanche of their own creation.

I do believe more "natural" shelters need to be added. Like a fallen down tree, a large semi hollow trunk, etc. They could be randomly spawned on a map and offer the same level of protection as a car. Some of them could even be large enough to contain a fire.

Well, there are quite a lot of hollow trees in pleasant valley now (added in V. 212). They offer protection from windchill, but are too small to make a fire inside. Screenshot attached. ;)

Regarding the amount of caves: There are at least 14 standart caves + 1 special cave in pleasant valley. If you only found one or two so far, you might try to search a bit more thoroughly.^^

Hylander made a map of Pleasant valley some time ago, including the caves:

viewtopic.php?f=58&t=3892&start=40

I agree that a little bit more variation in the standart cave design would be great. Maybe a small spring or pond inside some of the caves could serve as a source of water.

I like the idea of caves, I am just not sure how many would exist in that area of BC.

We're not sure yet where in BC this is taking place.. That being said, while I'm not personally familiar with them, caves are a plausible feature for almost every part of BC.. Wiki lists some of them here

I've just started exploring PV (spent my two first nights in barns... :? )--have found just 1 cave so far, so I'll definitely be looking for more :)

Well there are several types of caves in reality. Overhangs or bluff shelters, Fracture caves and Karst or Limestone caves. Kasrt caves are largest and most complex. Karst caves are formed from solutionary action are disloving of lime bedrock by acid rain water. These caves also form formation deposits. Well there may also be volcanic caves or lava tubes around volcanoes. Probably no volcanoes in this area.

Well, there are quite a lot of hollow trees in pleasant valley now (added in V. 212). They offer protection from windchill, but are too small to make a fire inside. Screenshot attached. ;)

Regarding the amount of caves: There are at least 14 standart caves + 1 special cave in pleasant valley. If you only found one or two so far, you might try to search a bit more thoroughly.^^

Hylander made a map of Pleasant valley some time ago, including the caves:

http://www.hinterlandforums.com/viewtop ... 2&start=40

I agree that a little bit more variation in the standart cave design would be great. Maybe a small spring or pond inside some of the caves could serve as a source of water.

The fact that we can't crouch and sleep overnight inside such a tree kinda itches my skin, it should offer bonus protection against wind but it dosn't, one should be able to sleep in the bedroll while not depending on laying down flat in my opinion.

Well there are several types of caves in reality. Overhangs or bluff shelters, Fracture caves and Karst or Limestone caves. Kasrt caves are largest and most complex. Karst caves are formed from solutionary action are disloving of lime bedrock by acid rain water. These caves also form formation deposits. Well there may also be volcanic caves or lava tubes around volcanoes. Probably no volcanoes in this area.

I don't know of any specific caves associated with the Nisga'a Lava Bed but they are mentioned. I've flown over the volcano cone, and hiked around the lava flow landscape-- very cool spot.

Using the most popular and well detailed Pleasant Valley Map, there is one cave notated on it that I never could find. It's the one directly north of the Hunter's Blind which in turn is directly north of the Hill Top Cave. Does it exist or is my version of the map incorrect?

I agree with the earlier statement there should be some variety to the Caves rather than the same cookie-cutter design. I loved the Mystic Falls cavern system but I understand the separate loading area, depth and detail is due to it being most likely a transition zone for the future.

Using the most popular and well detailed Pleasant Valley Map, there is one cave notated on it that I never could find. It's the one directly north of the Hunter's Blind which in turn is directly north of the Hill Top Cave. Does it exist or is my version of the map incorrect?

If you mean the cave near Cascading falls, then yes, this cave exists. The path to the cave is behind a big rock, if I remember it correctly.

If you mean the cave near Cascading falls, then yes, this cave exists. The path to the cave is behind a big rock, if I remember it correctly.

My fault for not using ( posting a link ) to the map to show you what I meant. I went back to Pleasant Valley last night and made a new effort to find the cave as marked on the map. It is still not there ( where the map has it ) so my original post asking where this was is correct. However based on your description ( and having been there before ) and finding it again, I guess I can safely assume the missing cave and your cave are one in the same. I annotated the change.

http://i.imgur.com/oOZj2cd.jpg

Archived