Forage for cloth option.

MrNicoras

In a true survival situation, I would make use of absolutely every option or tool at my disposal.

With that in mind, whenever I walk into a house, I see blankets, towels, pillows, mattresses, rugs, curtains, etc. None of which I can do anything with, but all of which could be harvested for use as cloth or bandages. I can click "forage" and tear apart crates and furniture for wood, but I can't take a curtain down to repair my jeans or bandage my wounds from my latest wolf fight. It would be one thing if these items were not in the game at all. But to see all of these things which can help me survive and not having the option to make use of them can be frustrating.

This could easily be added to the current indoor forage choices. And with the speed clothes deteriorate, and the certainty of wolf attacks, would provide good balance to the challenge of survival.

The real rationale I see for a cloth forage option is less for repairing clothes and more for harvesting bandages. Right now, bandages are far more rare than wolf attacks, In longer term survival - and remember that eventually this game will encompass all 4 seasons - supplies are going to become non-existent without some way to replenish them.

And maybe it's just because I'm constantly running around in blizzards, or because this terrain is windy as hell, but my clothes degrade pretty damn quickly as it is. I've had new deerskin boots down to 50% after two days of use, and that's with taking them off to sleep.

Before anyone starts: I realize that cloth is not used in any of the crafted clothing. I'm just using that as an example of how fast clothes can deteriorate. Besides, leather should be more durable than cloth anyway.

The real rationale I see for a cloth forage option is less for repairing clothes and more for harvesting bandages. Right now, bandages are far more rare than wolf attacks, In longer term survival - and remember that eventually this game will encompass all 4 seasons - supplies are going to become non-existent without some way to replenish them.

There are currently natural resources used for crafting more bandages already in the game, not just from cloth...

For additional seasons: the first edition of the long dark covers winter - following seasons are planned as stand alones in the future.

Bill,

What natural resources currently exist for creating bandages? I'm only aware of the Old Man's Beard dressing, which requires a bandage to craft. If I'm missing something, please educate me. I've only been playing TLD for a couple of weeks, so it's certainly possible I haven't stumbled across it yet.

I could be mistaken but I believe Bill is referring to the fact that you can break a wolf pelt coat down into cloth and then harvest the cloth for bandages. I'm 99% sure its the coat that can be broken down in this way. I believe the deerskin boots and rabbitskin mittens break down into leather.

Just because we have more materials in the game does not mean the supplies must degrade faster. Include more crafting options OR more options to use the materials. For instance, letting the player insulate a home more. Being able to put up multiple coverings over a window (say a curtain and then tacking over an extra blanket to two) would help keep the warmth in and the cold out. So the benefits of fire could last a lot longer. Rugs again help insulate the player from the cold flood. Tossing more blankets on a bed to increase it warmth rating would be a boon too.

The next step would give the player more options for crafting, so we can make our own clothing out of clothing, pets and hides. Maybe I want to make a rabbit muffler or create a new scarf after my last one fell apart. This could even allow the players to create more items: like simple pulling sleds (from hides over a wooden frame), small tents or even a hunting blind.

That said, if a player wants to horde all of the "loot" and hole up in one place until cabin fever or starvation drives them out... why not let it happen. Part of surviving is knowing when to drive on and another is just improving your position. The dying comes in when they make the wrong choice!

I've always stood for using the content of houses as translated resources. I mean, if we chop unlimited wood outside, why the pete can't we chop up some useless furnitures?!

You can, that's what you do when you forage for wood inside. It's just not shown in game.

I'm End-Game at this point and I have a crap ton of leathers and hides that I have no use for (already have several pairs of the craftable clothes) I wish I could use those hides for stuff to make my home base (which is the lake camp office for any wondering) a little bit more cozy and warmer. So I was thinking that there could be craftable rugs and window covers in order to raise the base interior temperature a bit. This could be done in a menu for each building like an "Improve this structure" menu, or it could be done by allowing the player to place rugs or window covers wherever s/he chooses. Also a good idea to fit into that same catagory would be a bed-making option to allow the player to set up his/her sleep station wherever desired in the base.

Keep up the good work Hinterland!

I've always stood for using the content of houses as translated resources. I mean, if we chop unlimited wood outside, why the pete can't we chop up some useless furnitures?!

You can, that's what you do when you forage for wood inside. It's just not shown in game.

Really? Perhaps one of the updates allowed it, i believe that was greyed out last time i tried. Worked in a fishing hut though.

Foraging for reclaimed wood and tinder while inside a structure worked for me as recently as last night. I find it strange, but fantastically helpful that when foraging for wood inside a fishing structure, you have the same options (tinder, softwood, and hardwood) that you have outside. Makes sheltering inside a fish house much easier when avoiding a storm or for an extended fishing trip.

Foraging for reclaimed wood and tinder while inside a structure worked for me as recently as last night. I find it strange, but fantastically helpful that when foraging for wood inside a fishing structure, you have the same options (tinder, softwood, and hardwood) that you have outside. Makes sheltering inside a fish house much easier when avoiding a storm or for an extended fishing trip.

Aye! That's how i basically fished for the three nights in a row achievement, eh? eeeh? :lol:

• 1 month later...

In addition to cloth, most of the houses have a plethora of items that could be foraged for metal, not to mention the cars/tractors ect. Also any house that has electricity has wires in the walls that could be removed with a crowbar. And any piece of electronics has thin wires that could be used in many situations where we currently use gut (fishing line, sewing up clothing, bow strings ect) I would suspect that wire would make a much better snare than the gut (never having built a snare, or even handled real animal gut before)

I'm End-Game at this point and I have a crap ton of leathers and hides that I have no use for (already have several pairs of the craftable clothes) I wish I could use those hides for stuff to make my home base (which is the lake camp office for any wondering) a little bit more cozy and warmer. So I was thinking that there could be craftable rugs and window covers in order to raise the base interior temperature a bit. This could be done in a menu for each building like an "Improve this structure" menu, or it could be done by allowing the player to place rugs or window covers wherever s/he chooses. Also a good idea to fit into that same catagory would be a bed-making option to allow the player to set up his/her sleep station wherever desired in the base.

Keep up the good work Hinterland!

I would love the ability to make a bed for the hydro dam location (of which there is a conspicuous absence)

It makes sense that there is no bed in the dam. It is not a place where people would live, so why would there be a bed. You can of course sleep there using a bedroll, but I get that you would like to make a bed if you want to use it as a more permanent base.

It makes sense that there is no bed in the dam. It is not a place where people would live, so why would there be a bed. You can of course sleep there using a bedroll, but I get that you would like to make a bed if you want to use it as a more permanent base.

Take one of those racks in the dam and push it over. Then take one of the doors that it off its hinges and place it over the downed rack. Boom, raised platform. Put your furs on it and then your bed roll.

Also, there are a few cots in the game. Let us break those down and take them with us. A cot only weights about 4 pounds. We could then add bedding to the top of it.

• 1 month later...

Archived