Basements and personalising camp

simarson

Some of the houses especially in coastal highway houses have doors outside and inside for the basements but they are just paint. You need to open them up. Let us find a real prepper basements.

And all those houses need to be more different from etch other. They are to much the same.

And there is never anything inside the file carbinet. Is that intentionally?

Would be nice to hear from you dev how much freedom you would like to give us regard personalise our camp. Placing stuff on tables. Sitting in the furniture. Clean up the place. Making improvements. Placing notes or marks on the containers. And so on.

screen_0fafdde1-476e-4283-802f-e32cf01f2

I like the notes idea. And cleaning up the place! Yes! Maybe instead of the "start fire" button when inside there could be a "tidy up" button. You choose how many hours of work (like for wood foraging or crafting) and things like cabinet doors, drawers and upturned chairs get fixed. The bigger the place, the longer the time needed to bring it back in a good shape.

The devs could make 1-2 more maps for each place (yeah a lot of work just to make us OCD people happy :P), so the first one would be completely trashed, the second one partly trashed and the last one all neat and tidy. The character would spend many hours in game getting rid of the mess, the return would be minimal (less obstacles and more containers) and it would give us something to do to kill the time during long storms.

A bit complicated to implement I guess, but maybe it would be possible to just replace the broken/misplaced furniture models with working models without making more maps? It would be easier to manage the inventory in the containers as well (I guess that with multiple maps the stuff would have to be moved from one map to another and this could be a mess). I dunno. Sounds like a lot of work, but I would really like something like that. Those empty cabinets that I can't use just because the door is lying next to them on the ground really get on my nerves. :P

Basements are frequently excluded from houses built next to large bodies of water, as the water table is usually very close to the surface and a basement would be prone to leaking. The higher the house is relative to the water table, the more viable basements become.

True, but houses without basements usually don't have a door leading to the none existing basement... Several of the houses in CH have a door (shown in simarson's screenshot) that is located in such a place it would lead you to believe there is a basement but the door is inoperable. If you're not going to build the basement, why would you build the door?

BTW one of these houses is the Misanthrope's homestead. Considering it's location on top of the hill, it's basement would be above the water table.

The designer(s) might not have considered the issue -- it's not necessarily one of those things most people think about at all.

Interior doors in "basement locations" (especially under stairs) typically lead to storage or utility spaces (where you find the furnace, the fuse box, and/or master shut-off valves). They might also be wher the washer and dryer are hidden.

Yes, a house on a hill is a much better candidate for a basement.

Maybe the "dead" doors can be purposed as containers. Maybe they could open so the character can fiddle with the fuse box (same as the radio), or turn the water valve to (re)fill the toilet tanks.

• Hinterland

Hey!

We built those houses with access to the basement, but when we discovered people felt that Coastal Highway already had too many explorable/lootable buildings, we opted to not include the basements.

We may unlock them later, or use them elsewhere.

Re: personalizing your camp. This is definitely something we are thinking about. Just need to find the right way to implement it. Not sure if or when it would happen, at this point, though.

I think jackattack had a good idea about those "basement" doors. Instead of leading down to a basement, just turn them into closets. Many houses have a closet under the stairs. Could be either like how a fridge works (door actually opens and you can pick up the items inside) or like a regular container.

Or just remove the door completely, make it a wall. Problem solved.

• 2 months later...

Add a HomeDepot and then you could get paint and paint the inside of your house! That would keep you busy when you are housebound during a storm. You could also re-fit some of the cabinet doors, see the quality of the finish in these new houses one apocalypse and the doors start to fall off :D

Archived