A touch of warmth

EternityTide

Whilst playing the game, I have noticed that the most lethal factor in the game, aside from wolves, is most definitely the cold (no surprises there). I found that the clothing wore out faster than I could repair and restock it, and since firewood is a scarce commodity, maybe a few of the ideas I came up with might take the edge off the cold.

Firstly, the logging camp has exterior propane/butane mixture tanks coupled to the outside of the cabins. Upon entering, you find no appliance that would use this gas, so why are they there? I would suggest that perhaps a gas stove, or a gas heater would be included into the buildings, with a limited amount of gas in the tanks. I would suggest as well that the tanks could be removable, with replacements found in places like the preppers bunker or the Carter Hydro dam. A smaller tank variant (like a patio heater size tank) would be available for heaters which would be found in the lakeside cabins (This is northern canada so they would have some form of heater in those cabins.) and that these smaller tanks be about as heavy as the Jerry cans found already in game. The larger ones could possibly be transported by a sled, which could be implemented as a means for the player to move larger quantities of materials, perhaps kills, longer distances without being encumbered and with a reduced calorie burn than carrying it on their person.

Another addition I thought might be useful is the addition of a kerosene camping stove, which could be filled like the storm lantern, but provide more warmth and be available as a cooking device.

I thought perhaps as well that a Thermos (I know these have been suggested previously) could store hot water that could be drunk later, restoring thirst and reducing the cold bar by a small amount. As well as that, maybe chemical heat packs could be brought in, as one-use instant warmth taht can be tucked into the players clothing and reduce the biting cold outside. A reusable, but not an on-demand alternative would be a hot water bottle which radiates heat to the player over time (can be equipped like the chemical packs) The water can be drunk afterwards.

I was also thinking that the Carter Hydro Dam could have large kerosene storage tanks (like the 500 litre tanks you have for back up generators) which could be used to refill the jerry cans.

That's all I can think of for now, but I thought it might be a few nice additions (I am aware that some of these would require an unprecedented amount of work on for the devs, so kudos to you guys if you employ any of these ideas)

The idea with the propane tanks has been brought upmbefore and I would be all for that. I don't see the need for a kerosene stove, when you might as well use a fire. I kind of dislike the idea of a huge fuel container. If there's a gas station and with the current use for gas (virtually non-existent, other than for refueling storm-lanterns) it might be okay. But adding a fuel powered stove and huge amounts of kerosene would defeat the purpose, since the resource would no longer be scarce. Imagine you used those 500L of fuel to simply warm up and cook food, while in the rest you forage. 500L would give you enough resources to live for another 1000 or more days, given that the wildlife respawns over time.

Heat packs might come in handy, but the heat bonus received by one pack would be quite minute imho, so it would be more of an emergency boost than a long-lasting token, wouldn't you agree?

well that was the idea originally for the heat packs, as a last ditch effort to prevent cold-death.

I never stated that the storage tanks would be full, since other survivors likely would have taken most of it, it would probably be only enough to fill one or two jerry cans.

The Kerosene stove would be less effective than a fire, but would be useful in heater-less buildings (Lone cabin, Lakeside cabins, Preppers bunker to name but a few). Wind would extinguish it, so it is worse than useless in a blizzard.

The purpose of the kerosene stove as well is the fact that it is an alternative you can turn to when you run out of wood, you go outside and forage, and end up with the message " You were unable to forage useable firewood", meanwhile your exposure means you are now freezing to death, and basically you are screwed.

Heatpacks IRL radiate heat for a maximum of 5-10 minutes, so they could be useful.

Perhaps, with the mention of heatpacks, a non-fuel based lighting source (Glowsticks) could also be used (obviously single use, but you could find them in bundles of 5 maybe, like matches)

Perhaps the Dev's might consider an old, battered truck that was low tech enough to survive the quapocalypse ( my word for the quiet -apocalypse) as another use for fuel. I doubt it, but it's an idea, like the sled.

hmm.. warming up to the kerosene stove idea. it could also be used in indoor places, where there are no stoves but you would still like to cook, like the preppers cache or the dam.

I still like the "romantic" notion of there being no technik gadgets left whatsoever, not even old battered trucks. But that's just my opinion. :D

I think the kerosene stove could be a useful addition if the fuel for it were scarce. It could be an emergency solution when you indeed have run out of wood (not sure how that would happen considering my current stockpile, but still) and you've got no water/ cooked meat left and need to eat/ drink to stay alive. Or if you'd want to cook something in a location that doesn't have a stove, although I would not be lugging it around unless I knew beforehand that I was going to need it. And then it would still be easier to just carry the water + food you'd need instead of the stove, unless you go on a very long trip.

Anyway, I don't think it should give of much heat. Never used a kerosene stove, but have used propane camping stoves a lot and those are just enough to warm up your hands really...

In my pack I carry a body warmer (bigger version of the chemical hand warmer) that will last for 12 hours. Much like these handwarmers that will even last 18 hours according to the package. I know they don't really last that long but having used the body warmers I carry before, I know these are still warm after 8 hours. So if these get added to the game, they should be a rare find. Great in an emergency but not for general use.

I do think the logging camp cabins should have a propane stove. Since you can't build a fire inside of them they should have some means of warming you up/ cooking stuff.

But I really don't think it's too much of a problem to stay warm as it is. Even if you're freezing, just going inside a building while wearing clothes that give you at least +2C you will start getting warmer the moment you're inside (except for the lookout tower). I usually forage outside in the afternoon (warmest time of the day) until I'm almost freezing and then go inside to forage some more until it gets dark. Then I go to sleep and in the morning the cold meter is back down to 0.

which is great, because that way we can discuss every idea and narrow down which ones are useful. and those ideas will hopefully get picked up by the devs.

Of your suggestions, two have already sparked interest (at least to me). So, well done, carry on. :P

Whilst playing the game, I have noticed that the most lethal factor in the game, aside from wolves, is most definitely the cold (no surprises there). I found that the clothing wore out faster than I could repair and restock it, and since firewood is a scarce commodity, maybe a few of the ideas I came up with might take the edge off the cold.

Firstly, the logging camp has exterior propane/butane mixture tanks coupled to the outside of the cabins. Upon entering, you find no appliance that would use this gas, so why are they there? I would suggest that perhaps a gas stove, or a gas heater would be included into the buildings, with a limited amount of gas in the tanks. I would suggest as well that the tanks could be removable, with replacements found in places like the preppers bunker or the Carter Hydro dam. A smaller tank variant (like a patio heater size tank) would be available for heaters which would be found in the lakeside cabins (This is northern canada so they would have some form of heater in those cabins.) and that these smaller tanks be about as heavy as the Jerry cans found already in game. The larger ones could possibly be transported by a sled, which could be implemented as a means for the player to move larger quantities of materials, perhaps kills, longer distances without being encumbered and with a reduced calorie burn than carrying it on their person.

Another addition I thought might be useful is the addition of a kerosene camping stove, which could be filled like the storm lantern, but provide more warmth and be available as a cooking device.

I thought perhaps as well that a Thermos (I know these have been suggested previously) could store hot water that could be drunk later, restoring thirst and reducing the cold bar by a small amount. As well as that, maybe chemical heat packs could be brought in, as one-use instant warmth taht can be tucked into the players clothing and reduce the biting cold outside. A reusable, but not an on-demand alternative would be a hot water bottle which radiates heat to the player over time (can be equipped like the chemical packs) The water can be drunk afterwards.

I was also thinking that the Carter Hydro Dam could have large kerosene storage tanks (like the 500 litre tanks you have for back up generators) which could be used to refill the jerry cans.

That's all I can think of for now, but I thought it might be a few nice additions (I am aware that some of these would require an unprecedented amount of work on for the devs, so kudos to you guys if you employ any of these ideas)

Propane could be found at gas station that are abandoned maybe they will be implemented in the new map October 29th

Just an addition that I've realised. A functional truck is possible in the long dark, regardless of any electromagnetic interference. Diesel engines can function independently from an electricity supply, since the power stroke mechanism is initiated by compression-ignition, not spark plugs like a petrol engine. Diesel vehicles can be push-started when their starter motor won't work, but the lack of a starter motor would mean that you would need either to keep the engine idling whilst you stopped somewhere, or push start it everytime to get it going again.

Good luck trying to push start a snowed in truck...

I get that many people want motorized vehicles, but they are not in the game for a reason. TLD is a game about a world where all modern technology has broken down for some (yet) unexplained reason. That includes motorized vehicles. If there will ever be trucks in TLD (and I do think there should be) they will not work because the devs don't want them to work..! No matter the technical explanations we can think of why something may work, they will think of a reason why it won't if they don't want it to.

True, I would love to see broken down vehicles on a road or in a town. And I agree if the devs want us to repair a car, they will. But let's face it, having no technology is what makes this game awesome. Why would we break that by adding all those gadgets. :P

Archived