so i cant catch a cold

ThePope

maybe you can just randomly catch a cold, and your chances increase if you maintain poor hydration/ poor caloric intake/ always cold or tired. you are more likely to get sick if you maintain any of those instances, also if you are maintaining poor stats you can be more likely to fall ill from bad food/drink

maybe you can just randomly catch a cold, and your chances increase if you maintain poor hydration/ poor caloric intake/ always cold or tired. you are more likely to get sick if you maintain any of those instances, also if you are maintaining poor stats you can be more likely to fall ill from bad food/drink

+1 Good idea! ..speaking against myself. :lol:

Well, as we make suggestions for making the game a) more survivable, b) more enjoyable, and c) more interesting... why not add some stuff that will make things a little bit harder, bothersome, and normal.

Not being sarcastic, this is a good idea.

The main strategy I've picked up is, get down to -1500 calories, get down to 20% condition or so, eat a bunch of food to get into positive calories, sleep, get condition back up to 100%. If this comes into play more when you are starving yourself and otherwise not maintaining a healthy condition, it makes that strategy more difficult to implement.

Hooray for vague illnesses! :P

Like:

...that thick wool sweater gave me a skin rash, those pine needles triggered an allergic reaction, all the smoke from the fire is not helping me at all with my asthma, the cold is giving me a splitting headache (already ingame, hurray!), because of the tinderfumes I have developed an addiction (those tinders really get me 'high', give me some more) and I have a backpain because of those awful bunkbeds? Lol!

But seriously, I like the idea of more illnesses. E.g getting a high fever because of an infection would be realistic. And quite problematic too. A fever you could surpress with painkillers; but really you need to get rest and drink lots of fluids.

The main strategy I've picked up is, get down to -1500 calories, get down to 20% condition or so, eat a bunch of food to get into positive calories, sleep, get condition back up to 100%. If this comes into play more when you are starving yourself and otherwise not maintaining a healthy condition, it makes that strategy more difficult to implement.

this is something i think that actually needs change....yes i now you can go days without food but start to become weakened. also if you were to have such an empty stomach then stuff your face full of food it would make you sick....so in turn i think you should take the same risk in game and should cause you to vomit losing some of your calories, or at least give you an upset stomach and need immediate rest or some other kind of medical assistance.

this is something i think that actually needs change....yes i now you can go days without food but start to become weakened. also if you were to have such an empty stomach then stuff your face full of food it would make you sick....so in turn i think you should take the same risk in game and should cause you to vomit losing some of your calories, or at least give you an upset stomach and need immediate rest or some other kind of medical assistance.

If you should eat 3500 cal/day, that would be unreal. You can easily survive few days without food.

In the game, you survive 2 days only without food. And the 2nd day you should eat. It's don't need to change, at least not the way you would like. It should be more, not less. ;)

Otherwise, you should eat all day long. Lot of player still thought they should need to eat all the time, and keep the hunger low all the time.

Maybe people's issue with the hunger mechanic is that they don't think the negative effects of being -1500 calories are enough? I know when I'm that hungry, I'm shaky -- so maybe something in the game mechanic that (1) makes things that require dexterity and precision (sewing, shooting a gun) take longer or are less accurate, and (2) adds a little sway or something to the camera, so it's harder to select things in the menu or move around carefully.

there ought to be a "fall down" mechanic too, so sometimes you just trip in the snow dependent on how hungry or cold, etc., you are.

Maybe people's issue with the hunger mechanic is that they don't think the negative effects of being -1500 calories are enough? I know when I'm that hungry, I'm shaky -- so maybe something in the game mechanic that (1) makes things that require dexterity and precision (sewing, shooting a gun) take longer or are less accurate, and (2) adds a little sway or something to the camera, so it's harder to select things in the menu or move around carefully.

there ought to be a "fall down" mechanic too, so sometimes you just trip in the snow dependent on how hungry or cold, etc., you are.

i definitely agree with you there. he just pushes on like its nothing. heres some symptoms of starving.

Early symptoms include impulsivity, irritability, hyperactivity, and other symptoms. Atrophy (wasting away) of the stomach weakens the perception of hunger, since the perception is controlled by the percentage of the stomach that is empty. Victims of starvation are often too weak to sense thirst, and therefore become dehydrated.

All movements become painful due to muscle atrophy and dry, cracked skin that is caused by severe dehydration. With a weakened body, diseases are commonplace. Fungi, for example, often grow under the esophagus, making swallowing painful.

The energy deficiency inherent in starvation causes fatigue and renders the victim more apathetic over time. As the starving person becomes too weak to move or even eat, their interaction with the surrounding world diminishes.

so yes i believe there should be consequences to starving yourself definetly.

Archived