Bears !!

Denyo

Aaagghhhh!! Hinterland team...you!! :lol:

This topic is kinda mix of feedback and survival story,but at same time none of them,so this is best place to post it,imo.

Oh,my dear Hinterland team! :D You always find a way to make Denyo`s day and addiction to TLD higher and stronger. :) This time the bears are that cause. :)

It already started yesterday,when I was at PV Farmstead,heading south to kill two wolves for their pelts.I was just returning from my trip to Silent Hill.I stopped in field,as i noticed that southern bear in the distance.I decided to enjoy watching him and his moves,reactions for a whille,as day was still young.At same time I had to watch my eye on two wolves at left side.One of them was slowly walking in direction of bear.Soon I lost bear from my sight,as he was heading behind small slope.But,suddenly,that wolf started to run like hell and I saw bear behind him.And you know,what happened?That darn bear chased wolf direct into my direction. :evil: So,of course,when was wolf safe from bear,he spotted me,who was standing there with stupid look on my face. :) Then I woke up from my freezing status and ran backward,cursing that darn bear,who put me into this position. :) It ended well for me,as I got additional meat and pelt from that wolf.

And then it happened today. :lol: I was at Rural Crosroad,intend to kill Ben for the second time.I gave that bear in Rural region name,coz after today`s experience,he definately deserves to be called by name. :) At least I will call him by name.For me is Ben and Ben will stay. :)

Ok,so I went as ussually on the hill near his cave and soon spotted him.I ussually use tactics,that I shoot him from distance and then run backward down the steep side of hill,so he cannot catch me.This time I let him get a bit closer,coz last time he did not run towards me,so I had no problems killing him.But,this time,after i shoot him once,he shaked and went behind one tree.I got kind of alarm in my head,that something is not good.Luckly,I decided to run backward,towards steep side of hill.And it was just in time,as bear appeared suddenly behind tree and was running like rocket towards me.I made few steps down more and looked up.Ben was standing on top of hill,roaring at me.And I literarly laughed in his face.

But,that black devil suddenly turned arround running left.I was like:" Ow ow...this isn`t good! This definately is not good!" I got scared a shit out of me and ran towards river,to safety.And then,instead running on,I had to turn back,to see,if maybe I was wrong and he could not find the way after me.But that smart Ben ran arround hill and was now chasing me! I tried to escape,but there was no way to avoid him mauling me. :D Whille looking into his angry face,I just prayed,that he will leave me at 10%.I begged him inside myself to not kill me. :)

No worries,I did survive and I am enjoying Ben`s meat right now. :D Just,wanted to give all my credits to this new bear AI.It realy surprised me his reaction,as till now,before last update,Ben never could find his path and I was always safe.Now,even that steep hil is not safe.This was realy amazing and exciting experience.Coz it made me came out as complete overselfconfident snob. :lol: I made fun of Ben,and he showed me:" The one who laugh last,has sweetest laugh" :)

Again,thank you,Hinterland team,to make again so interesting improvement.I realy enjoyed that,no matter I was scared to death. :) Now,I bet Raph will get "devil`s laugh" on his face,when he will read this feedback story. :)

Great to know that bears interact with wolves, I didn't know that. Thanks for the info!

Would you mind to test what happens if you chase a deer into a wolf and both run into a bear? xD

Would be a new dimension of meat acquisition for sure if it works! :)

(I would test it myself but all my bears are gone and I just don't have the heart to kill my dear Anna or abort the savegame on purpose ;_;).

Great to know that bears interact with wolves, I didn't know that. Thanks for the info!

Would you mind to test what happens if you chase a deer into a wolf and both run into a bear? xD

Would be a new dimension of meat acquisition for sure if it works! :)

(I would test it myself but all my bears are gone and I just don't have the heart to kill my dear Anna or abort the savegame on purpose ;_;).

Oh,you`re stil on old save. Well,it is not quite like that,that bear run after wolf.He just walk slowly towards him and wolf run away scared.It was just that bear went into that direction,so he confront wolf just in line with me.Me,wolf and bear was in same straight line,so wolf ran away from bear exactly towards me.Bear could go towards wolf straight,but he made half circle,to chase him against me. :) Maybe it was coincidence,but it realy felt,like bear is using strategy,which we use for wolf/deer pack. :)

What concerns chasing deer into wolf,so they both run towards bear...that would mean,I would have to start chasing deer with my back turned to bear.No way,that I will give myself on a plate to bear. :-p :lol: :lol:

What concerns chasing deer into wolf,so they both run towards bear...that would mean,I would have to start chasing deer with my back turned to bear.No way,that I will give myself on a plate to bear. :-p :lol: :lol:

You can also chase the deer between wolf and bear from a 90° (or any similar) angle! ;)

I'm often using this method to have a deer killed next to a building. Needs some practise, but works quite fine!

(Replace Ben with a house for that strategy.)

But forget about it, if the bear won't kill the wolf the whole approach is pointless of course.^^

56ce123334854_meatacquisitionmasterplan.

LMAO !!! :lol: :lol: :D:D :lol: :lol:

You`re so funny,man! This picture cracked me up. :lol: You made my day,beside Hinterland team did. :D

And,yeah...bears(still) doesn`t fight with wolves.Maybe someday that will change.For now,as far I know,bears only slow approach towards wolf and wolf runs away,when he get close to bear.

Great story and funny picture ;) I'm still hooked by DS2 right now but am looking forward to experience the new changes soon.

But why did you have to name it Ben? That's the name of my son, reading that you are enjoying his meat hurts lol. I simply call them Mister B and yes my bears all have the same name, hehe.

Great story and funny picture ;) I'm still hooked by DS2 right now but am looking forward to experience the new changes soon.

But why did you have to name it Ben? That's the name of my son, reading that you are enjoying his meat hurts lol. I simply call them Mister B and yes my bears all have the same name, hehe.

Ouch! :oops: :lol: :lol: I can understand,how you feel.Ok,so,to avoid this unpleasant situation about names,I found a solution,how that would not hurt you anymore. Just rename your son`s name. :lol: :lol: :lol: My bear will stay Ben,and even with rock you cannot change my decision. :lol: :lol:

Owh,man...I didn`t expect I will have so much fun with this topic! :D Thank you,guys,for bringing fresh,interesting and entertaining wind here.

I simply love this comunity,from Hinterland team to all the players!! :D

Denyo, I'm waiting for the "Meat Acquisition Masterplan" to be put into effect soon :D

No problem. :D I can try it today on my stream,if any wolf and deer will be close to Farmstead enough.Otherwise,this is best to do in Mystery Lake,where are many huts,as well Camp Office all in small area.I will see.For this realy need to have deer and wolf placed right as well both of them quite close to a building.

Ouch! :oops: :lol: :lol: I can understand,how you feel.Ok,so,to avoid this unpleasant situation about names,I found a solution,how that would not hurt you anymore. Just rename your son`s name. :lol: :lol: :lol: My bear will stay Ben,and even with rock you cannot change my decision. :lol: :lol:

Your approach is wrong man, Ben the Bear is for kuddling, not hunting:

130430170249-07-anthony-bourdain-in-canada-horizontal-gallery.jpg

Ben is a gentle Bear, he only want's to play - why do you have to kill him????

gentle_ben5.jpg

Bad Denyo killing innocent poor bear... :twisted:

Well...my Ben wasn`t quite gentle and forgiving to me. :-p He could simply frendly talk with me,that it is not nice to make fun of him.Instead,he was right away pissed off and determined to play with my face and clothes.

Now,seeing yours,Chill & Bill pics and videos,I got guilty conscience. :( Ok,from now on I will leave that "gentle" Ben alone.He is safe now from me. :)

Hmmm...I just tested bear.It seems he react on wolf`s scent.I cleared all maps,so now I can do some tests.I tried to lure that southern bear to Homestead,so I could have him dead infront my doors. :)

First I went almost empty,coz I was only observing.No food,no weapon,only flare on me.When I spotted bear,I waited he gets close to me enough to sense or see me.But,I had to let him quite close(20m) to notice me.He slowly walked towards me and I was leading him backward to Homestead.But,soon he turned into direction,where one of three wolves was.And that wolf was in quite longer distance,than I was from bear.When wolf ran away,then yet bear again focused on me.Of course,I had to get close to him again,that he noticed me.

Next day I killed a wolf and went to search for bear with raw wolf meat in my backpack.This time I have feeling,that he noticed me from longer distance than from 20m.And he was not distracted by wolf,but he followed me almost till Homestead.As this was just a test,I ran indoors to Homestead,left bear to wander in field near Homeastead.I have still much meat,so I didn`t want to kill him.

It was just interesting,that bear followed wolf meat scent.I will try next time also with deer meat.If deer won`t have effect,then it will be definately confirmed,that bear reacts on wolf`s scent. :)

Maybe devs can give me hint,if my observations are correct or not. ;)

Hmmm...I just tested bear.It seems he react on wolf`s scent.I cleared all maps,so now I can do some tests.I tried to lure that southern bear to Homestead,so I could have him dead infront my doors. :)

First I went almost empty,coz I was only observing.No food,no weapon,only flare on me.When I spotted bear,I waited he gets close to me enough to sense or see me.But,I had to let him quite close(20m) to notice me.He slowly walked towards me and I was leading him backward to Homestead.But,soon he turned into direction,where one of three wolves was.And that wolf was in quite longer distance,than I was from bear.When wolf ran away,then yet bear again focused on me.Of course,I had to get close to him again,that he noticed me.

Next day I killed a wolf and went to search for bear with raw wolf meat in my backpack.This time I have feeling,that he noticed me from longer distance than from 20m.And he was not distracted by wolf,but he followed me almost till Homestead.As this was just a test,I ran indoors to Homestead,left bear to wander in field near Homeastead.I have still much meat,so I didn`t want to kill him.

It was just interesting,that bear followed wolf meat scent.I will try next time also with deer meat.If deer won`t have effect,then it will be definately confirmed,that bear reacts on wolf`s scent. :)

Maybe devs can give me hint,if my observations are correct or not. ;)

Haha, Denyo, you are a real scientist! Imagine the game code becoming so complicated that the devs don't understand the animal behaviour in their own game anymore. Then they would come to you and ask questions, why does the bear do this or why does the rabbit do that? And you would play 200 hours watching bears and rabbits, and then you would tell everybody and people would go, "aha, who would have thought that?"... :D

Haha, Denyo, you are a real scientist! Imagine the game code becoming so complicated that the devs don't understand the animal behaviour in their own game anymore. Then they would come to you and ask questions, why does the bear do this or why does the rabbit do that? And you would play 200 hours watching bears and rabbits, and then you would tell everybody and people would go, "aha, who would have thought that?"... :D

This sounds like the beginning of Skynet bears. Pretty terrifying.

It has nothing to do with the English language in particular, it's a pop-cultural reference. You need to watch the Terminator films. ;)

Skynet is the name of the AI that controlls all those nasty cyborgs. It was programmed to learn and become more and more intelligent, until at some point it developed self-awareness. When its creators realized how powerful and dangerous the AI had become, they tried to shut it down. Unfortunately, Skynet (being self-aware!) wanted to survive and went rampage on humanity.^^

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skynet_(Terminator)

Thus, please no Skynet bears. xD

It has nothing to do with the English language in particular, it's a pop-cultural reference. You need to watch the Terminator films. ;)

Skynet is the name of the AI that controlls all those nasty cyborgs. It was programmed to learn and become more and more intelligent, until at some point it developed self-awareness. When its creators realized how powerful and dangerous the AI had become, they tried to shut it down. Unfortunately, Skynet (being self-aware!) wanted to survive and went rampage on humanity.^^

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skynet_(Terminator)

Thus, please no Skynet bears. xD

Owh...is that so? :oops: I did watch Terminator,but completely lost of that Skynet in the movie. :oops:

Now I understand. :) Thanx for explanation,Scy. ;)

Archived