[Idea] Dynamic Map system

SirGregory

Playing the game on the same map over and over can become repetitive, yes I am aware new maps are being added. But a addition of a Dynamic Mapping System could drastically improve gameplay and introduce limitless worlds for people to survive in and explore for days on end. This system will allow you to create limitless game worlds by only loading the map chunks near your character or camera. The well known game "Minecraft" uses this very system, and I would like to see this implemented in "The Long Dark" in the near future.

What you are talking about is known better as "Random terrain generation" and this has been addressed in several posts, the first to come to my mind would be this: viewtopic.php?f=59&t=1943.

The Devs have discussed the problems of RTG previously, with a number of problems rearing their ugly heads, such as discontinuity with the story (admittedly not a problem in sandbox), uneven distribution of in-game resources, and the most prominent problem being computing power. The majority of people do not have a rig capable of running what you are thinking of in the current state of polygon render that is employed in the game. It's easy for Minecraft because Minecraft uses an extremely low number of polygons in its rendering engine, but with a game like TLD, it's simply not feasible, nor economically viable to implement (they have to sell to a range of gamers, not just niche players with top of the range gaming rigs)

What you are talking about is known better as "Random terrain generation" and this has been addressed in several posts, the first to come to my mind would be this: http://hinterlandforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=59&t=1943.

The Devs have discussed the problems of RTG previously, with a number of problems rearing their ugly heads, such as discontinuity with the story (admittedly not a problem in sandbox), uneven distribution of in-game resources, and the most prominent problem being computing power. The majority of people do not have a rig capable of running what you are thinking of in the current state of polygon render that is employed in the game. It's easy for Minecraft because Minecraft uses an extremely low number of polygons in its rendering engine, but with a game like TLD, it's simply not feasable, nor economically viable to implement (they have to sell to a range of gamers, not just niche players with top of the range gaming rigs)

Point taken.

I do apologise if my demeanour was confrontational, I have a habit of going into a full blown sermon when explaining my stance in a discussion :)

Nah it's fine, I posted a topic that can be disputed drastically either way. I was ready for someone to respond like you

But as of now I'm not yet concerned about map sizes. Hinterland has previously called the current map "tiny". So if this map constitutes merely 5% of the total map, there will be plenty of places that are waiting to be discovered. Maybe even with additional content to come in DLCs.

Although I would also love to see randomized, I think we should not assume the sandbox to be repetetive simply judging from the current alpha state.

• 2 weeks later...

There is a way to accomplish something similar to RTG using the table-top concept of map tiles.

Essentially, create dozens of map segments that fit together along boundaries and select a random assortment of tiles for each play-through. This could be done by the computer or by the player selecting certain tiles, configurations, etc.

Pre-made 'tilesets' could be implemented by Hinterland or the community. In this sense, the tiles are already set to go and designed to fit together in various patterns. Adding new tiles, noting which other tiles they fit with or where they fit, would offer endless combinations.

Regardless of how such a thing comes to be, having an element of topographical surprise in TLD sandbox would extend playability for a few decades, methinks.

Archived