question for the devs about the upcoming update

elloco999

I would really like to know if I need to start a new game to be able to use the new features in the upcoming update. And I don't even mean if I can access the new area from within my current game, although that would be absolutely awesome! But just being able to use the new method for hunting and the other new/ updated features that will be in the update, can I use those in my current game?

The reason I'm asking is because I'm at 100 days now and would rather continue playing after the update if that means I have more things to do. But if I need to start a new game for the update to work I'd rather finish my current game (i.e. die) before the update is here. I do want to see how much longer I can last (heaving still got one complete set of clothing, all my tools in good condition and 12 bullets left, I figure I should at least be able to reach 150 days if I don't make a stupid mistake). But from day 30-ish onward it has been a bit repetitive if you know what I mean. A change of pace would therefor be greatly appreciated.

Good question. I'd like to know that as well.

But judging from other alphas, I suppose you will have to start over with a new game ( i.e, your savegame will no longer be readable in the next update ), especially since new mechanics will be implemented that may conflict with what is in current savegames. On the other hand, seeing as how decent and clean Hinterland has programmed so far, I wouldn't be all that surprised either if you actually were able to keep your savegame. :)

@Burning, I bet they will be connected in the main game, but sandboxes will be "standalone". I guess there would be no point in running leaderboards for single maps, if you can freely travel from one map to another.

Maybe your idea would be more interesting for something like a survival mode, where you have to last as long as possible in all maps. :) But I don't know wether the devs have something like this in mind.

This answer from Dave Chan to a question if it would be possible to survive forever would lead me to think it will be possible to go from one area to another in the sandbox:

When there are new areas in the game you'll be able to move on after you've exhausted the resources in the current area.

As for the leaderbords, maybe there will only be a leaderbord in general, no matter what map(s) you play on, or if there are map specific leaderbords the game could detect that you moved of the starting map and not add your score to the leaderbord of the map, but to the general leaderbord. That way it's still possible to go for a highscore on a specific map by not leaving that map.

Also on the savegame issue, my personal experience with other games has been that I usually had to start a new game after an update. But with the past updates to TLD I did not have to do that, so I'm hoping it will be possible to keep playing this time as well. However since this update will be more than the fine tuning of existing mechanisms and fixed bugs, but adding some new features and a new map, I don't have my hopes up.

So far they have spoilt us with the savegame compatibility. I see no problem if a new version requires a new game.

I would really like that option to travel between maps, why are Leaderboards important?

I am sure there is a game mode for people who want to compete with each, but it should be no excuse to preempt sensible features.

And what a great feature this would be. The goal in the sandbox is to survive as long as possible, but the map is only good for ca 1 week of exploration. From then the game repeats itself. So it would be fantastic if after some weeks or so a mountain pass becomes passable, and we can leave the map.

There wouldn't be any problem. If we started at map2 we could travel to Mysery Lake and vice versa.

Once map 3 is available, another connection could be added, and so on.

I don't have a problem with having to start a new game, but if I do have to start a new game I would like to know that now. Because then I will continue playing my current game to see how long I can make it. But if I can continue with my current game I will wait so I can use the new features and have a better time playing.

I don't consider the leaderbords to be important, but some people do. And lets be honest, it's nice to be able to see if you're really doing as great as you think you are. But I don't think leaderboards are an argument for not connecting the area's in the sandbox. Or at least they shouldn't be.

I too am really hoping it will be possible to move from one area to the next and back.

Well, when the update is released I want to be able to use the new features (with the possible exception of the new area) right away of course. So when that time comes, if I won't be able to continue with my current game, I want this game to be over so I can start a new game right away.

I just thought it's more important wether you want to play or not. If you want to play, why not backup your savegame and play? And if you don't want to play, then don't play! If you do play and it turns out that you can leave the map, you could still decide if you want to revert the savegame or start over. Unless you think that playing now subtracts from your total hours with game ..

I for one won't blame em if they do want to focus on making that update as smooth as possible. After all, that's way more important than fixing another minor bug that won't be in the update anyway.

I just wanted to add that I too would love travelling from map to map, I just don't expect being able to do so yet.

Archived