So many dead...

partywithrossco

If the protagonist in this story is a bush pilot surviving a small plane crash, why are there so many polite, hearty Canadians dead in their own environment? It seems a bit strange that this game is flush more post-apocalyptic elements than survival elements.

I know what it's like to come upon a deep-woods deer camp, or logging camp and never have I found multiple dead bodies to scavenge.

Wolves.

FLUUUUFFFFFYYYYYYY!!!!

/shatner

Seriously, though, the OP does have a point. The corpses littering the place make it look like Will crashed a month into the event as opposed to right at the start. I've taken it as sandbox game mechanic, not story mode element, but it does raise a question for story mode. Will Will spend a few months in Story mode struggling back to civilization, or will Will spend the first episode dodging hordes of desperate urbanites trying to Mad Max with not skills to pay the bills?

Just questions to ponder as this develops. I bought the game and am looking forward to progress! I like this game as it's pretty much the embodiment of my favorite childhood book: Hatchet

I LOVE Hatchet.

It is one of the reasons I want to push for a mode where you begin with fewer skill ranks in a more forgiving (Spring) season with an adolescent protagonist and must learn to survive just like in the book. Starting equipment... a hatchet.

If the protagonist in this story is a bush pilot surviving a small plane crash, why are there so many polite, hearty Canadians dead in their own environment? It seems a bit strange that this game is flush more post-apocalyptic elements than survival elements.

I know what it's like to come upon a deep-woods deer camp, or logging camp and never have I found multiple dead bodies to scavenge.

My headcanon answer for this particular question is that you haven't only just now crashed--after all, where is the plane? No, this is a couple months after the Event, and you've moved on from another area that you've cleaned bare, only to find this relatively loot-heavy area. This is a while into things, so people have had time to burn through most of their supplies, then either get savaged by wolves or starve/freeze to death trying to get to a new location.

That doesn't quite explain why the whole area wasn't stripped bare by those survivors before they died or left the area, but... it goes a good way for making the scene-setting palatable, I find. Failing all else you can remind yourself that this is a simulation, not a 1:1 representation of reality.

If (some or most of) the dead bodies were replaced with left/lost items, like backpacks, coats, cans, crates etc. Then the story could be that the area was evacuated in a hurry (nobody wanted to stay there and die) and stuff was left behind. Things fell of the trucks/sleds etc. as they were all leaving in a hurry. Then you could find a can of beans and such items in the snow, instead of a dead body. There could be some dead, because some people choose to stay behind. And they didn't survive.

On a side note: first time I approached Trappers Homestead and saw the smoke from the chimney it almost gave me an heartattack. I thought "there is still someone here!". But no.

I have to agree, less bodies and more random backpacks and crates.

Also, I have a theory as to why all these people are dead. The three lumber buildings near the clear cut area are heated with propane generators. They are probably useless when electronics got fried, so the people there may have abandoned the buildings to search for better shelter or to get help. Same for the Carter Hydro Dam.

That doesn't quite explain why the whole area wasn't stripped bare by those survivors before they died or left the area, but... it goes a good way for making the scene-setting palatable, I find. Failing all else you can remind yourself that this is a simulation, not a 1:1 representation of reality.

In the hunting blind at the unnamed pond, you can occasionally find military-grade MRE's that have been opened and tossed on the floor. It wouldn't be hard for the devs to place items like that throughout the world, and doing so would make it feel a bit more like those corpses were actually alive at some point instead of just being static props.

Archived