Any game modding policy?

nug700

Hello!

I just got the game and started playing it last week (although I've been keeping an eye on it since the kickstarter), and just love it! For a while now I was becoming sick of survival games, yet with The Long Dark it feels new again.

Now, for my question: What's the company modding and mod distribution policy for TLD? It would be quite a shame if you guys didn't allow for mods to be made and shared, especially after I've already been working on one (oops :P):

WpEfr99.jpg

Hoping the devs are cool on this. I'll release it after I find out.

Just curious nug700, how did you acquire the icon below your name? I picked up the game as soon as I was able when I returned home and so far I'm loving it.

The yellow badge was for those who pre-ordered the game before the Sept 22 Early Access release

Yea, I pre-ordered the game some time at the end of last week. Also, you forgot to answer my question on modding.

I didn't forget to answer your question on modding -- that's not my decision, that's up to Hinterland Studio. I only help maintain the forum.

I do hope that Hinterland will be positive about modding and mod distibution, after release. To me, using mods and modding games myself makes them more fun and gives them a longer lifetime. It's mostly about customization for me; often there is something I really want (a certain gamemechanic, certain items, textures etc. you name it) and mods is the way to establish that. So, good job!

If you don't mind, what exactly will this mod change?

Well the mod itself won't directly change anything about gameplay. It is essentially a .Net dll, along with a modified version of assembly-csharp.dll (All I did was inject a reference to my dll, and added a call to the mods Init() function on game startup) that scans a directory for other assemblies (dll files) that contain classes that implement an interface called IPlugin and loads them into the game. From the loaded player made classes the user has access to the Unity API and game API.

Mods can be good, and they can be bad. Personally I believe you can do whatever you want to your game you bought and as long as it's single player no one would know or probably care. If this game ever went coop or anything then I would hope that the devs would implement it in such a way that only unmodified versions of the game could play together to keep it fair.

Archived