Pistols please.

Willbonney

Howdy folks,

I've played roughly 20 hours now, though I've yet to even live past 9 days (yeah, I suck, but I'm good with that). I'm enjoying the game a lot but there's a part of it that's starting to irk me a bit, and that's the rifles only thing. They are nice to have and all, but even in Northern Canada pistols are a lot more common. I would like to see either revolvers or 9mm side arms make it into the game at some point. The rifle should be the primary hunting weapon, and that's it. Carried when you are out hunting. A side arm once found should be your primary defensive weapon against a wolf attack, and should be able to be fired when the wolf is on top tearing away at you.

Give it a strong kick to reduce accuracy of multiple shots (which is realistic when firing out in the wild and being an untrained civilian). Have it do less damage per hit than a rifle as well, that is also realistic.

I personally think this would also stop a lot of the wolf attack complaints. As in if you had a side arm, you could defend yourself rather well, until of course you run out of ammo. Then you're back to the axe and knife.

i thought about suggesting this too, adding a big .45 revovler. Im sure they would be common enough, however ive also felt torn about it. i would rather some form of renewable addition to the weapon system though, like a bow and arrow, large trap or something similar.

Actually no, handguns are not common in Canada, even in the north. I'm not saying there aren't any, just that they are few. It would be unlikely for you to find one.

People typically carry rifles or shotguns for defense against wildlife.

and if you found a revolver, I think it would more likely be a 38(its friendly and more Canadian than a 45)... also if you found one it also be stowed in a safe, maybe not in the dam, but if they put a safe up in the forestry lookout or maybe in a safe at the camp office(under the stairs seems like a good place to have one) both locations would be a reasonable place to put one

Again the same ask. It's been asked a lot.

If the only purpose of adding a pistol is fighting of wolves (and tbh there is NO reasonable other reason due to the existing gun) I'd say, try harder deafeating them and learn that getting killed is part of the game.

They are not impossible to defeat, maybe a bit more demanding in the beginning.

But a pistol just would take importance of that very part of the game, a threat that causes high tension.

Actually no, handguns are not common in Canada, even in the north. I'm not saying there aren't any, just that they are few. It would be unlikely for you to find one.

People typically carry rifles or shotguns for defense against wildlife.

Um, yes actually. I lived in the Yukon for almost two years, in and around Whitehorse. Every man I knew that owned any gun of any type, also had 2 to 3 pistols. Whether that be a .38 snubby, a 9mm, or something bigger. To be honest, I can't think of a single person I've ever met that just owned a rifle. I've met a few who just owned a pistol or just owned a shotgun, but never just a rifle.

And the phrasing I used, "a lot more common," that does not mean they are common to every household, like you seem to imply. Just that they are more common than other types of firearms.

Maybe it's because I was raised a bit too peacable (I don't know how to express it better, but there's a completely different public attitude towards pistols in Western Europe than in America), but I very much dislike the idea to add pistols to TLD. :(

It would somehow violate the atmosphere of the game, at least for me. In my opinion, you're supposed to be afraid of the wolves (and thus try everything to avoid them), not just blow their heads off.

There are many other survival games you can play in which you can "go Rambo" like this.^^

If any other means of self-defense (apart from flares/torches/rifle) should be added to the game, I would very much prefer it to be non-lethal (this would also help with the pacifist/silent hunter achievements). Something like pepper spray. Should be extremely efficient against wolves/bears. :)

Maybe it's because I was raised a bit too peacable (I don't know how to express it better, but there's a completely different public attitude towards pistols in Western Europe than in America), but I very much dislike the idea to add pistols to TLD. :(

Apart from that, gun discussions always end the same way here.

The initial idea of adding another rifle/pistol/bow/whatever what atleast seems to be worth discussing, is torn away by some .na folks disputing about what is the most appropriate guntype or best fitting rifle to add in a game.

This is usually always becoming a guntalk, independent from the original issue.

I dont care about guntalks, but they should be done in the offtopic section imo, as many, many times it was shown up that more guns in tld are not necessary.

Oh before I forget:

It would somehow violate the atmosphere of the game, at least for me. In my opinion, you're supposed to be afraid of the wolves (and thus try everything to avoid them), not just blow their heads off.

There are many other survival games you can play in which you can "go Rambo" like this.^^

If any other means of self-defense (apart from flares/torches/rifle) should be added to the game, I would very much prefer it to be non-lethal (this would also help with the pacifist/silent hunter achievements). Something like pepper spray. Should be extremely efficient against wolves/bears. :)

+1 to everything :)

i am a canadian and spent most of my life in the our north and back country. pistols are rare up here. they are simply not pratical or really useful for that matter. by far the most common fire arms in the north are the lee enfield rifle, 30/30 winchester, a basic pump or break barrel 12ga. and a bolt action 22ca. l-r. the 22 is by far the most abundant followed by the lee enfield. simple rugged and reliable is what people use up here

i am a canadian and spent most of my life in the our north and back country. pistols are rare up here. they are simply not pratical or really useful for that matter. by far the most common fire arms in the north are the lee enfield rifle, 30/30 winchester, a basic pump or break barrel 12ga. and a bolt action 22ca. l-r. the 22 is by far the most abundant followed by the lee enfield. simple rugged and reliable is what people use up here

The .22 comment I noticed quite a bit. Everyone and their grandma seemed to have a Henry, Browning, or Marlin lever 22. Only place I've ever been to still using that design so commonly. As for bolt actions, of that I didn't notice so much.

Regardless of the commonness debate, I suppose it still is plausible that a handgun could be encountered. e.g. police station/officer, though a bit cliche. I could see one showing up in a bunker (keep in mind the motivation of the bunker builder).. Though ammo should be in appropriate places too..

Would it be a useful addition? I'm on the fence on this. On one hand, I don't really feel it's needed. There's quite a few ways to deal with wolves already.

On the other hand, it opens up options. e.g. make the rifle much more rare, since you have an alternate hard counter to wolves. How frustrating to find several boxes of rifle ammo, and no rifle though.. :P

If included, I think it should not be large caliber, so useful for defence against wolves at short range, but not useful for hunting.

Handguns are mostly worthless for defending against wildlife or hunting unless you're well trained with them. The main character of TLD is such a terrible shot he/she can barely hit a wolf at ten yards with an Enfield. Nuff said.

haha, so it's the character that's the poor shot? :lol:

Handguns are mostly worthless for defending against wildlife or hunting unless you're well trained with them. The main character of TLD is such a terrible shot he/she can barely hit a wolf at ten yards with an Enfield. Nuff said.

haha, so it's the character that's the poor shot? :lol:

Sure it is, how you dare think of anything else?

Well, in the characters defense, it is hard to shoot a rifle without hands to hold it!

On topic: since there being no "on screen" hands is a reason they don't add bows and arrows it's also a reason not to add a handgun...

Just to make it clear: I am an advocate for revolvers being added as a self defense weapon against aggressive wildlife. (and of bows and arrows for that matter)

Well, in the characters defense, it is hard to shoot a rifle without hands to hold it!

On topic: since there being no "on screen" hands is a reason they don't add bows and arrows it's also a reason not to add a handgun...

Just to make it clear: I am an advocate for revolvers being added as a self defense weapon against aggressive wildlife. (and of bows and arrows for that matter)

:) true stories

I'm okay with not adding more firearms, but I also see how it could add depth to the survival experience.

It would make for a very different run if you searched all over and could not find a rifle, but did find a pistol (or bow, crossbow, shotgun etc) in a bunker. You would really have to alter your strategy based on what you could find (and what you could find ammo for---in story mode, maybe you could make a trade with NPC?). Don't get me wrong--I don't want this to turn into a gun-based game--Still, having weapons with clearly different strengths and weaknesses makes each run more different.

On the other hand, it also leaves you to the mercy of RNG (moreso than now).

I dont know how popular bow hunting is in Canada but its pretty realistic and would give a good depth of the game with reusable arrows. The degrading system would make a lot of seance to. The more you shoot a bow the more frayed the sting gets, Arrows bend and break. Makes seance

If the Canadian guys are saying pistols are kind of rare then one or two in game would do it.

Don't get me wrong--I don't want this to turn into a gun-based game--Still, having weapons with clearly different strengths and weaknesses makes each run more different.

This is one of the main reasons I'd like to see it happen. Variety. Right now as it is it's a bit boring with just the rifle. And if you can't tell by my forum name, I'm a bit of a fan when it comes to the "Old West Outlaws." Give me a 6-shooter and I'd be a happy camper.

As for bow hunting, depends on the hunter. I personally only ever hunted with a recurve bow that I actually made when I was 15 and have kept up over the years. Most who claim to be hunters in my opinion now a days aren't really hunting, they're waiting. They sit in a blind or on a stand up a tree, and wait, and hope that something will come along that's worth killing. A lot of the art of tracking has been lost over the course of the years as it's gotten easier to kill things. I was taught and raised a bit different I guess than most, where I and my family relied on hunting to help feed us, and not just as a game or sport.

But more to the point of what it has to do with the game, Bow Hunting is still somewhat popular up north, but mostly compound bows with sights that might as well be scopes.

Less guns +1

I’d love to see a crossbow in the game. But I can imagine that crossbows are less common than hand fire weapons in Canada. :D

Less common is always relative.. ;) But the more I think about it, the more I believe it can be justified when you have something like a prepper bunker in the game. The number of these that exist in reality is infinitesimally small, but I'm fine with it being in the game; it's a fun find.

On topic, you gotta think that whoever goes to the trouble of building and stocking a bunker in the wilderness has probably (definitely) considered including some sort of weaponry.

On topic, you gotta think that whoever goes to the trouble of building and stocking a bunker in the wilderness has probably (definitely) considered including some sort of weaponry.

I get the feeling that the "bunker" is mostly already cleaned out, like all of the locations in the game. I mean, c'mon, a prepper cache with 10 liters of water and a dozen cans of food?

Archived