Instant Wolf Attack

emuleman

First off I want to say I absolutely love this game, and am looking forward to its final release later this year. Excellent job!

I have gotten pretty good at avoiding wolves at all costs, especially if I have no weapons. Usually if your health is alright you can fight the wolf and chase them away. In any case it is a very challenging part of the game. With that being said I got extremely frustrated today while playing. As I stepped outside I was instantly attacked by a wolf, and have downloaded a video below tho show you. (please disregard the unrelated conversation going on with a few friends who were in Teamspeak with me). In the past I have seen or heard a wolf barking when I have left a structure, and have had a few seconds to either try to make a run for it, turn around and go back inside to wait it out, or equip my rifle. As you can see I had absolutely no time to react in this situation, as the minute I stepped outside a wolf was instantly attacking me. Even if I had my rifle equipped I didn't even have enough time to take a shot. This seems a bit much, as the player has no time to react, and is killed. As I said I appreciate the challenge of the wolves, but this scenario seems impossible to get past. I would hope that people would have at least a few seconds to make a decision rather than stepping outside to get instantly killed.

[bBvideo 560,340:2wezyi0r]

[/bBvideo]

The wolves AI and paths have been adjusted more for the next update, but quick question (re: video)... Approximately how long (in-game time) had you been inside the Gas Station at the time?

Reason I ask is because if you entered because a wold was nearby, and just stopped in briefly (or simply went to the other door) then the wolf wouldn't have reached the clear distance time period needed yet.

Anyhow, hopefully some of the studios paths and adjustments changed for the update next week will work to clear some surprise wolf battles.

The wolves AI and paths have been adjusted more for the next update, but quick question (re: video)... Approximately how long (in-game time) had you been inside the Gas Station at the time?

Reason I ask is because if you entered because a wold was nearby, and just stopped in briefly (or simply went to the other door) then the wolf wouldn't have reached the clear distance time period needed yet.

Luckily I was broadcasting my game as I was playing, so I just went back to re-watch it. I entered the Gas Station from the rear door, after leaving the house directly behind the Gas Station. I stopped and checked out the car just to the right (when facing the rear of the Gas Station) and then entered. There where no wolves present when I went in, so I wasn't being chased or trying to escape. I was inside looting for around 5 minutes (real time, not in-game time). I understand if I was being chased it requires me to wait long enough for the wolf to walk away, but this wasn't the case this time. Just instant attack as I left through the front door, so it must have to do with the path the wolf travels. I obviously think having one directly outside without enough time to react is a bit too much. Hopefully the path will be corrected to feature a little bit of a distance away so people playing have enough time to react.

Then yeah, it would have been a glitchy one - some wolf paths do navigate past areas while a player is inside, but it normally wouldn't be that close to the front of the gas station.

It was mainly the '5 minutes IRL' that answered the question - that was plenty of time for wolves to clear back if they were actually chasing you [which requires approx 15 in-game minutes to clear away safely in this version].

The devs said they've changed some paths and nav areas and AI for the wolves in the update, so hopefully that will clear up some of them.

Archived