Interesting German Translation

stwfun

Im a german player (as you can see by my really bad english- so sorry thatfore), loving that game wanna help making it round. Here an offer for the german translation if u want:

Main Menue Equipment: Art: Food and Drink: you wrote „Essen und trinken“ better: „Essen und Trinken“ (i guess just a little mistake)

Work Bench Menue: You havent translated „Description“ what means „Beschreibung“ in german that place.

During Sleep there is written „resting“ what means „Erholung“ the object but that place i would set „erholen“ the verb of what the player is doing right there)? But I saw, in menue about amount of sleep you wrote „Ausruhen“ This ist the perfect word and means also „erholen“.

When you leave a room/house/cave you go „the outdoors“ . I would write „hinaus“ what means going ouside instead of „Draußen“ what means already being outside, looks strange somehow… i saw u titled it in english as well as an object but u crossing a door, going inside, getting offered a new place, reached something (object) a title what place it is sounds great, like trappers homestead so on, but walking out, im going to do something (spirit of next adventure not of grammar) so the main idea oft that is doing thing? Dont u think… May be not that important.

„Harvest Frozen Carcass“ Menue: Taking parts of corpe from an dead animal means „zerlegen“ as u used for Title of menue its perfect. But inside menue there is button offered meat, gut and skin „zerlegen“ (forgot the english expression for skin, sorry) The word „zerlegen“ ist about separate the whole thing. But you already decides for a part oft he whole: gut meat or skin. Here i would propose write easy „nehmen“ what means „take“ because it feeds to all three parts oft that carcass: Fleisch nehmen, Darm nehmen, Haut nehmen. Perfect. Sounds strange to separate what already is seperated (by decision). The button should be overwritten.

Even the menue part of "harvest frozen carcass" there is something looking not balanced in view: the german menue shows the estimated cal. but it wont feed in a line. you shorted the german words (looks bad by the way) but still wont feed in a line. may be a bug? a propose: write: "etwa benötigte kcal" means roundabout kcal it needs.

Also i would propose, dont translate every object direct. German words (from book) are pretty long combinations and not really used in normal speach. For example: „metal box“. You translated: „Metall Behälter“ – sounds like administration/management word – very dry. In common speach we say Metallkiste or better Blechkiste. More easy: actually we have the same expression, usually we say „Metallbox“ . (made by wood: Holzkiste or only Kiste) It disturbs the gamefeeling a little, reading this dictionary words for objects, wich are not really used. Other thing with the plastic container. I guess its the same backround… here „Plastikbehälter“ feeds somehow, because the material is something not natural. But we also would say „Plastikbox“. To save things we use Boxes all the time. Short words feed better to the gameplay.

When you wake up its written „Überlebenszeit“. I guess „überlebt“ what means „survived“ and then the time, would give less administration-sound and more celebration character. You know: „Yeah, already 10 days survived!“ survived 10days 8 hours 23 minutes… and again, sort words feed better to the gameplay.

By the way, u wish the formal-expression „Protokoll“ in menue what means log? I mean ist what is in but in survival /adventuregame may be sounds nice calling it „Tagebuch“. English direct translation is „diary“ but i dont know about the backside about that english word. Diary sounds like girly-life-story-book. But the german word Tagebuch means a lot: diary of course, but also loggbook of a private persons adventures, written in clockstyle.

But really bad sounds „Lagerbüro“ you wrote for „camp office“ this you really should change. „Lager“ means very closed area, walls around or a fence around, sometimes a cellar room. A place, an big amount of special materials waiting there, for being used. (I dont like that germans are always confronted with their history but to show u the backround oft hat expression think about a place where human became material, waiting for being used) Here the english expression sounds like an own name, „Camp Office“ was perfect name for that place, sounds like an office in wilderness, where people can register for holiday, camping or so - you should keep it. U really should keep a lot oft he great names of places u no need to translate all of them, own names sounding great.

But Max´letzter Widerstand (Max last Stand) this i havent got yet. Is it the name of that hollow he died in or is it … ? why that dead corp got an area name? Part oft he story?

I really love finding german words like „zerfleischter Rehkadaver“ or „Ausruhen“, best: „nichts“. This are very common words and i never saw that in other gametranslations. Feels natural. Great.

I played 5 Minutes oft hat new version and already got that i like news i saw. Wanna more german explaind with my bad english? 

[thumbnail=left]http://i57.tinypic.com/2nu3uv6.png[/thumbnail][thumbnail=left]http://i58.tinypic.com/345e8af.png[/thumbnail]

FOV (Gesichtsfeld) should be "Sichtfeld".

FOV has nothing to do with a face. :lol:

The patch is pretty nice btw.

But I wonder if it would not be better to make the wolves more dangerous and not simply to increase only the quantity (that's a little annoying). (max difficulty)

@stwfun

Ich finde Protokoll besser. Ein Tagebuch ist für mich eher was persönliches. Wo man rein schreibt "Liebes Tagebuch, heute habe ich den ganzen Tag gezockt" :P Außerdem weiß ich auch nicht was das mit dem "modus" zu bedeuten haben soll. Sowas sagt man wohl daher um deutlich zu machen, dass es noch andere Modi gibt. Wenn aber alle aufgelistet sind, ist das ziemlich dämlich. Da kann man auch Sandbox-Modus schreiben. Sinnlos.

Agree with Max last stand-story, Aswell mystery lake translated is really weird (as mentioned before in the german forums around here) and "Zuhaltung" when picking a safe lock. Simply "Schloss" should be much more appropriate.

Diagree with outdoors, "Draussen" is perfect, as the discription flashing is not describing the act but a place.

Tbh.. that german translation seems rather unnecessary.

I wonder that team is spending so much time in things like this, or new gametypes, instead of balancing.

As said before in another thread, ill stick to english since storywise its an canadian pilot innit...?

Plus, that mix as it is now, german gui and english speaking character feels odd.

I wonder that team is spending so much time in things like this, or new gametypes, instead of balancing.

Implementing multiple languages isn't that much work aside from the actual translation of all the text. And I doubt they did the translation themselves, more likely they hired someone to do that for them.

Balancing is an ongoing process. They could spend all their time balancing the current version until it's perfect, but with every new feature they introduce after that, the game needs to be balanced again. Only after the game is "feature complete" will the final balancing be done.

Hello and thank you for your feedback, guys.

I agree:

• FOV = Sichtfeld
  • Food and Drink = Essen und Trinken
  • Description = Beschreibung
  • The word during sleep: Ausruhen (fits good)
  • When you leave a building: This is a bit tricky. I would write "Nach draußen gehen" wich means: to go outside. (I do not know if it fits in every situation of your translation.)
    "Draußen" is not wrong and in my opinion it is a short and acceptable translation.
  • I agree on "Fleisch nehmen" (Harvest meat), "Darm nehmen" (Harvest gut), "Haut nehmen" (Harvest skin) as a button.
  • estimated cal. = etwa benötigte kcal. (sounds good, even "benötigte kcal." is valid but then the "roundabout" part of the translation would be gone)
  • Metal box = "Blechkiste" (prefered) or "Metallkiste"
  • Wooden Box = "Holzkiste" or "Kiste"
  • Plastic container = "Plastikbox" (prefered) or "Plastikbehälter"
  • Agree on "Überlebenszeit" = "überlebt" fits better ans is less formal
  • Log = "Protokoll" fits but I would prefer "Logbuch" (log book) myself. This is a good mix from both. "Protokoll" is very formal and "Tagebuch" (diary) is very personal with stories and experiences (more text) etc.
  • Camp Office = This is also a tricky one. Have’t found a good translation for it. It would probably work if we could specify what kind of "Lager" it is. I guess it is a kind of "Lumber Camp Office", wich would be "Holzfällerlager-Büro" or "Büro der Holzfäller"
  • Max last stand = "Max’ letzter Widerstand" is fine for the moment.
  • Safe = "Tresor" or even "Safe"

I like the new update very much. Most translations are very good and this is why it sets a whole new level of immersion.

@Hinterland: How do you like your translation inputs? All collected in one (this) topic?

They have a professional translator for the game - as far as I know. The translation is solid but when the context is removed the translation fails or is at least a bit unsuitable.

...with every new feature they introduce after that, the game needs to be balanced again...

Good point idd.

Coming back to Max last stand, what you guys think about "Max' letzte Position"?

Widerstand is a hell of an unfluent word, pierces my eyes and mind everytime :>

„Harvest Frozen Carcass“ Menue: Taking parts of corpe from an dead animal means „zerlegen“ as u used for Title of menue its perfect. But inside menue there is button offered meat, gut and skin „zerlegen“ (forgot the english expression for skin, sorry) The word „zerlegen“ ist about separate the whole thing. But you already decides for a part oft he whole: gut meat or skin. Here i would propose write easy „nehmen“ what means „take“ because it feeds to all three parts oft that carcass: Fleisch nehmen, Darm nehmen, Haut nehmen. Perfect. Sounds strange to separate what already is seperated (by decision). The button should be overwritten.

instead of zerlegen i would propose "ausweiden" for the title which makes it more clear that it's about animals. the "harvest" that's accessible from the menu should still be called "zerlegen"

• 2 weeks later...

Another very funny mistake I noticed so far is the "Kapuze" (hood in engl.) instead of "Motorhaube" (also hood in engl.) for the coverage of a car's motor compartment.

"Kapuze" means a head covering, "Motorhaube" is for cars.

Maybe not very important, but should be solved anyhow ;)

Hello,

another little mistranslation I found is the translated "cash register" in the Quonset Gas Station. You wrote "Registrieren" better would be "Kasse".

If you try to extinguish the lantern the best translation for this would be "Ausmachen" and while sleeping "Saving Game" would be "Spiel wird gespeichert".

Greetings from Germany,

great Game!

Barbara

• 1 month later...

Archived