fan comments on game v.170

csq1

I love this game. I've been playing it on and off for about 2 or 3 months.

I think the recent updates,(the new coastal area, the addition of snare traps and fishing, the addition of cars as shelters) are just excellent and I'm really impressed and excited to see where this game is headed.

Here are a few suggestions I have (some I am sure you are working on) that would enhance the game and make it more challenging in several different ways

(1)- the wolves are too easily spotted from afar, too easily avoided, as you can just walk or run away from them. There is literally no situation where I have had to shoot a wolf (other than fluffy). Fending them off with a knife, I have discovered is also very easily and not risky. In reality wolves are more clever, and will follow you, keeping their distance until an unpredictable moment when they strike.

my suggestion is to have the wolf, first, move faster than the player, and also the wolf should not initially attack you. Rather, the wolf should stalk, pursue or "stick to you" and always keeping a safe distance... until 1 or 2 other wolves come in response to a certain amount of time passing since the stalking began.. eventually the wolves attack, (1 by one or together) which will probably kill you... you options might be to shoot the wolf, charge and lunge at with a spear (sharp pole or stick attached to knife or blade) , provoke the wolf to charge so that you can defend with an axe, knife or spear, scare the wolf off with a flare or umbrella(opening an umbrella in a charging wolf's face will scare it way)...

It seems to me realistic that a single wolf would charge you only if your back is turned... if you are facing, the wolf would probably not charge but would certainly be menacing, and call other wolves for assistance

(2) there is not enough wilderness... my favorite parts of this game is being somewhat lost in a wilderness area and having to explore this wilderness area... stumbling upon a single cave, car, or shelter would, in this context, be fun and exciting. Looting the cupboards of a farmhouse is fun when you have been wandering through the woods or down a secluded highway and is the only building you have seen all day. But looting a dozen houses repetitively with no motivation to travel anywhere or do anything is significantly less fun.

Currently there is no good reason why I would ever build a fire outside, there are far too many fishing shelters and houses. Perhaps some houses could be colder than others (some could have broken windows that you need to board up to warm the house up, others could be poorly insulated or damaged and never suitable for sleeping)

(3) more injuries, more severe injuries. Injuries should last longer. You aren't going to heal from that wolf bite or sprained ankle in 4 hours... try 4 days at minimum.

Injuries that slow your movement are generally not fun, but frostbite could be a serious and long-lasting injury that lowers your maximum condition... someone with minor frostbite might be permanently stuck on 92% as a maximum condition level. It seems to me that dealing with frostbite would be more realistic than your clothes falling to pieces when you start freezing. I think the speed that clothes degenerate in the cold is an idea that should be removed or tweaked.

(4) Something I think players would enjoy is the simple ability to not just drop, but place objects, on tables, surfaces or mount an object on a wall... the simple ability to customize certain spaces would help, as every player eventually sets up a home base in one house or another... why not be able to display the stuff you have accumulated, instead of just dropping it on the floor?

These are just some opinions I had after playing the game quite a bit. I can't wait to see what you guys come up with!

• Hinterland

All great feedback!

We've actually been thinking a lot about the density of shelters in Mystery Lake and Coastal Highway, and have started experimenting with some test maps that have things spread out a lot more with much more wilderness between them. It feels pretty good actually, and something that fits with an overall sense of "progression" in the game.

We've also been talking about expanding the injuries/afflictions system now that we have a decent UI for it. This is definitely something we'll be adding to in the future.

Frankly we're looking at most of this stuff, actually. So, yeah. Good feedback. :)

thanks for the response!! Good to hear, I would love to see more wilderness areas.

In addition to having things "spread out" more, I would actually like to see more buildings to be locked. It would be fun to have houses that you can't access immediately, but only later after some sustained effort...

I think it would be fun to have some houses be locked... the gas station, for instance, could have a chain and padlock that could be picked, unlocked, but not smashed open. A nice cabin might have a locked door that could be crowbarred open. Upon finding a locked house, one might have to set up shelter in a barn, garage and shed until morning... then either search for a set of spare keys, or try and break into the house (which may fail)... It would add to the suspense not knowing whether one is going to find a way into a particular house or not.

I feel this would add to the game's sense of progression... instead of looting every house in 1 day, instead you slowly and gradually get more mastery and control over the area, opening up new buildings over a span of several weeks

I really love the idea of having to break into some places, and honestly I really want to see this implemented with that one boarded up house in the log sort on the highway...locked up and otherwise inaccessible places in games always makes the curiosity burn in my stomach, oh to uncover the secrets of why that house has been boarded up! :mrgreen:

I really love the idea of having to break into some places, and honestly I really want to see this implemented with that one boarded up house in the log sort on the highway...locked up and otherwise inaccessible places in games always makes the curiosity burn in my stomach, oh to uncover the secrets of why that house has been boarded up! :mrgreen:

Yeah, I was very disappointed that I couldn't give it a go with my crowbar.

I really love the idea of having to break into some places :mrgreen:

Yes! Maybe also to be able to break windows to enter a house - off course due to the broken window, the temperature inside the cabin should drop, rendering it much less effective for resting,...

• 5 weeks later...

That's where I sealed the shoggoth. Please don't open it up, as creating those seals causes great damage to my sanity.

That's where I sealed the shoggoth. Please don't open it up, as creating those seals causes great damage to my sanity.

:lol:

Archived