Lost arrows on ice - de-spawn

toddajstewart

1) Fired 4 arrows at feeding wolf on ML ice. Missed first 3 times! :roll:

2) Wolf hit by 4th arrow and runs off to die.

3) Harvest deer. Night falls.

4) Return to ML next day to collect arrows and wolf meat.

5) Find dead wolf with 1 intact arrow.

6) Find 2nd arrow intact.

7) PROBLEM 3rd and 4th arrows cannot be found. I searched a large area of ML without success. Arrows were not even found in a broken state.

I have also seen this issue of 'fired arrows de-spawning on ice' on the Steam community and now posting it here.

• 3 months later...

I too have been seeing this occur a lot. I've lost at least six arrows total in Coastal Highway.

It only happens on the ice.

Most recently (today), I fired two missed shots at a rabbit. I walked to where the arrows landed and they were nowhere to be found. I extended my search area farther down range (in case the arrow skipped across the ice) to no avail.

I can't say if they de-spawn or fall through the world, but they certainly are nowhere to be found.

Version 280

I too have been seeing this occur a lot. I've lost at least six arrows total in Coastal Highway.

It only happens on the ice.

Most recently (today), I fired two missed shots at a rabbit. I walked to where the arrows landed and they were nowhere to be found. I extended my search area farther down range (in case the arrow skipped across the ice) to no avail.

I can't say if they de-spawn or fall through the world, but they certainly are nowhere to be found.

Version 280

I've tried replicating, and at first it looked like I may have -- until I started searching further around to the sides as well [turned out I had walked past a number of the arrows that deflected off to either the right or the left.

I then tried about 15 arrows (all from same place, angle, and strength) -- not all arrows land in the same area... out of 15 arrows, I found some landed near each other [although staggered and scattered]... others I thought I lost until I walked further, and then doubled back checking both sides as well... many had skipped off to the side. There were only 2 I didn't find that time, but I didn't look very far.

With full rest, the shots seemed to deflect a bit less off the expected direction. When more fatigued, I found the grouping was more spread out, and I had to search around more to locate the arrows.

NOTE: hitting an animal can also deflect the arrow considerably in any direction too...

I'll watch for additional reports, but from initial checking arrows won't necessarily just bounce or skid straight, so it may mean more searching. ;)

I've tried replicating, and at first it looked like I may have -- until I started searching further around to the sides as well [turned out I had walked past a number of the arrows that deflected off to either the right or the left.

On my way in here to report back and see your findings.

I may have to take back what I had reported/perceived earlier.

I stumbled upon an arrow in the road, and realized it was a lost arrow from the ice.

It had skipped MUCH farther than anticipated.

I went back to the other locations in question and extended my search in relation to the distance I measured with the arrow found on the road.

I found two more arrows. They skip far enough to be out of visual range for items on the ground.

One or two are still unaccounted for, though at this point I'll chalk it up to a serious sideward deflection.

Thank you for looking into it.

Archived