Rock, Paper, Shotgun: "The Long Dark is not a friendly game"

Raphael van Lierop

Well, I can't say if the game's too hard or not, since I haven't played yet (not an alpha backer). But from what I've seen so far in footage of play-throughs I would say it's pretty hard but not too hard. Yes, it's very challenging, but isn't that the point? Surviving in such conditions is very very hard and let's face it, most of us are not prepared for something like that! And if some game journalist keeps dying every couple of minutes, they probably wouldn't last very long IRL. But TLD is supposed to be a very hardcore survival sim. That's a major reason many of us backed.

That said, if you want TLD to reach a large audience the average player (a.k.a. non-survivalist) should be able to finish the game. So, maybe add a difficulty setting? Beating the game at it's highest difficulty would be very very hard and thus a real feat to accomplish, while still allowing the average gamer (and reviewers :P) to enjoy the game as well.

He might have a point though on the passage of time. Unlike John Walker (the author of this review), I get why in-game time is faster than real life time, but maybe it's a little too fast? And if the amounts of time John cites are true, things do take too long I think. 1 hour for melting some snow? 2 hours for gathering 1 stick? That does sound like it needs a bit of ballancing.

I don't have a comparison since I haven't played a survival sim before, just horror games, but I don't find the sandbox mode too hard (as in "so hard that it would make me give up," just the opposite). It's supposed to be hard and you will die, so the whole point is trying to survive just a little bit longer than the last time.

Basically, if I can survive over 12 days in the sandbox, it can't be too hard. That said, the story mode should be more foregiving, because repeated restarting and going through the same stuff again gets really frustrating fast. Having different difficulty levels could be a good idea. It could be just that in the easier level you would find a little more supplies and tools.

He might have a point though on the passage of time. Unlike John Walker (the author of this review), I get why in-game time is faster than real life time, but maybe it's a little too fast?

NOTE: (all these are just my personal opinions)

Having tried the really early pre-alpha versions, I can say the in-game days and nights were much slower and longer, but it also meant you would often be sitting at the computer for a good 10-20 minutes just waiting for storms to go by, or longer for it to start getting light.

The time setting was logical, but it just didn't feel natural and there didn't feel like much urgency to get anything done [you could almost reach every building and location in the sandbox in one game day almost].

In game time might go fast, but it actually does play well -- although it will likely feel "too fast" when a new player is still trying to figure the world out... After a few days playing, and things start to become more familiar and make more sense, then time lapses actually feel quite right when playing.

And if the amounts of time John cites are true, things do take too long I think. 1 hour for melting some snow? 2 hours for gathering 1 stick? That does sound like it needs a bit of balancing.

For time, the fast time counter is much better than being required to physically spending the time searching branch after branch for a twig that is usable [Canadian winters often tend to be damp as well, and a lot of areas here the branches actually soak in the water and freeze] — or you could spend a couple of days game time drying out some wood by a kiln I guess.

For the snow melting, the devs could have overlooked an important factor (but they didn’t) — it takes a heck of a lot of snow to make a gallon of water… so it makes sense that a lot of time would pass by trying to collect enough snow for your water supply. (I had the same misconception at first until I checked)

The game is still in very early alpha, but from The Long Dark forum there are already quite a few additional balances being implemented (as well as many more challenges).

It definitely isn't a casual game though… it takes a lot of experimenting and learning to survive longer and longer… no hand holding, The Long Dark requires a lot of decision making on the go. That’s probably why I've found so much replay value — it’s impossible to make a walkthrough solution because variables in every playthrough delivers fresh survival challenges and choices. 8-)

In game time might go fast, but it actually does play well -- although it will likely feel "too fast" when a new player is still trying to figure the world out... After a few days playing, and things start to become more familiar and make more sense, then time lapses actually feel quite right when playing.

Glad to hear that the passing of time feels right for the game. Can't wait to try it out for myself.

For time, the fast time counter is much better than being required to physically spending the time searching branch after branch for a twig that is usable [Canadian winters often tend to be damp as well, and a lot of areas here the branches actually soak in the water and freeze] — or you could spend a couple of days game time drying out some wood by a kiln I guess.

I've only been to Canada once and it was late summer then. I don't know anything about Canadian winters, but I did see a lot of pine trees. Surely it's possible to find dead branches, still attached to trees so they don't get soaked on the ground, that you could collect without too much trouble. Even if the outside is wet, the inside of such branches remains dry and the wood will burn well in my experience (but as said, I've never experienced a Canadian winter so I might be completely wrong).

For the snow melting, the devs could have overlooked an important factor (but they didn’t) — it takes a heck of a lot of snow to make a gallon of water… so it makes sense that a lot of time would pass by trying to collect enough snow for your water supply. (I had the same misconception at first until I checked)

That's true, snow has a much bigger volume than the same amount of water, so you'd need to add more snow while it melts. But still, it takes little time to walk outside get some snow, come back inside and throw it in the pot. I may also be happy melting less than a gallon at a time.

It definitely isn't a casual game though… it takes a lot of experimenting and learning to survive longer and longer… no hand holding, The Long Dark requires a lot of decision making on the go. That’s probably why I've found so much replay value — it’s impossible to make a walkthrough solution because variables in every playthrough delivers fresh survival challenges and choices. 8-)

Well, some people like that sort of thing (and for the record, I'm one of them :)) but many other people don't. It would be good for the game if it could appeal to a larger audience. That would mean more sales and thus more money to spend on expanding/ improving the game, the next episodes or even making a sequel. So I think it's worth it to try to make the game more accessible to people who are not looking for such a hardcore experience, while still providing that hardcore gameplay to those who want it. A difficulty setting seems like a good way to do this.

For the record, snow-melting times are extrapolated from real figures. Actual snow-melting times depend on many factors -- fuel source, melting vessel, altitude, etc. But I welcome the journalist to produce 1L of snow-melted water in less than an hour, on a stove top fire, in a pot. :)

I'm not the journalist in question, but I would have taken up that challenge anyway, where it not for the fact that I don't have access to a woodburning stove or snow (it's summer...). I am going to try it this winter over an open fire though, just for the fun of it :)

I do believe you if you say it takes that long to melt snow into a litre of water. I should have known you'd have done the research on that, like you do on every part of the game.

But does melting the snow work the same way as gathering wood (as in, you click and than have to wait for it to finish), or can I do other things while the snow melts (like gathering more snow to melt)? Because IRL I wouldn't be standing by the stove watching the snow melt, I'd use that time usefully. Again, I haven't played the game yet so I don't know how this works.

• 1 month later...

"But I welcome the journalist to produce 1L of snow-melted water in less than an hour, on a stove top fire, in a pot"

I did not know that Raphael van Lierop. This is a very good tip. Thank you.

This is the best game ever created (and I have looked at a lot of them). If enough people find out about this game - it will sell itself. It's brilliant, beautiful, and challenging - in the most realistic way (a benefit that all other games lack).

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

As a Dark Souls veteran I do find the game challenging, but not hard. This is especially thanks to the fact that when you die, you know exactly why - the game doesn't tell you to go somewhere and it doesn't kill you just because you went somewhere else. It kills you because you weren't prepared enough - better try again.

Actually, once you get to the end-game, where you have everything you need and are just picking up supplies from the handful of places you haven't visited yet, the game is pretty easy. Which leads me to the obvious need of some end-game content - no need to go all out Minecraft, but there's gotta be something.

BTW, currently playing the stalker mode and have to say I'm loving it. The increased difficulty is nice. Although there's way too many damn wolves. When I look at the lake and see a pack of some five to eight wolves, I find that ridiculous more than anything else - it's as if wolves are prison guards and you're playing an FPS. I'd rather see less wolves but more difficult encounters.

• 3 weeks later...

I love this line: "And then those numbers cascade like you just cut the wrong wire on the bomb timer."

I laughed, because it's so true.

The time speed is fine in version .183, although a slider would add more sales to make everyone happy!

• 1 month later...

Archived