Ask the survival geek

robdoar

I got the idea from @asavarserkul 's thread on the survival guide.

Go ahead and ask a question related to wilderness / TEOTWAWKI survival. I'll be happy to give my perspective and I'm sure others like @TattooedMac will chime in as well.

Keep in mind, while there's almost always "wrong" answers, there's never a perfect "right" answer. Everyone approaches scenarios with their own experience and training. :-)

Perfect timing... I (quite literally) was trying to think of a way to approach you about starting an "Ask Rob" type thread...

One thing that got me started thinking about it was"

@robdoar: since you have a lot more IRL experience with survival education/training -- I was wondering what kind of survival challenges and/or inclusions you're just chomping at the bit with curiosity to see if it's in the game?

Not what "you would like to see", but more like aspects you're anxious to see if they were considered and/or added.

@BillTarling

The list is long. :-) Here's a few big ones

I'd like to see fire-starting be a very difficult process. Interactive with variables, and not guaranteed. Of course using different materials would make a difference in difficulty. (Gas + lighter vs. Flint + Steel)

I'd also like to see skill level and dexterity decrease when calorie store is low, and when the temp is freezing. I've had to try and do fine tasks in a pre-hypothermic state, and it's not easy.

Finally, (for now) I think being able to learn new skills by reading would be great, but your skill level with it is nothing until you actually try it. Then I'd like to see skills increase as tasks are mastered, but slowly decrease when they're not being used.

I agree -- and I hate the games where you get "Oh you levelled up, so now you can instantly do [skill] no matter what"

SHELTERS

How about things like shelter building? I know this isn't professional guidance, but seems like some of the ideas can make the difference between relatively comfortable success vs. clumsy failure or wasted energy: [urlhttp]Survival Shelters

NATURAL FOODS

Another thought would be edibles [again strictly as a layman's guide or very basic starting point]: How To Eat A Pine Tree

Note: of course I'm hoping contaminated or poisonous food sources are also in the game.

ANIMAL TRACKING

I'm anxious to see if I'll have to start learning what tracks belong to what in the game -- having never done anything like that before, I think it would be a fun learning experience... plus give that Yippee! feeling once you start spotting subtle differences when playing.

I've never seen skillsets used (in games) such as identifying Animal Tracks or like various Google images

In know nothing is like IRL practical hands-on experience, but I have found myself doing a lot of online searches just to get some ideas of things that may help me last longer than 20 minutes the first time I play TLD -- or at least help me survive past the first intro screen.

@BillTarling

The list is long. :-) Here's a few big ones

I'd like to see fire-starting be a very difficult process. Interactive with variables, and not guaranteed. Of course using different materials would make a difference in difficulty. (Gas + lighter vs. Flint + Steel)

I'd also like to see skill level and dexterity decrease when calorie store is low, and when the temp is freezing. I've had to try and do fine tasks in a pre-hypothermic state, and it's not easy.

Finally, (for now) I think being able to learn new skills by reading would be great, but your skill level with it is nothing until you actually try it. Then I'd like to see skills increase as tasks are mastered, but slowly decrease when they're not being used.

These are all good aspects to have in the game, but disagree about loosing the skill level of something you have learnt when you haven't used it in a while.

Given myself, its been 20yrs since i have faced true survival, but i haven't forgotten how to do things, I'm just a little rusty, and will take a couple of goes to make that small trap, and the likes.

Things as gathering water, Shelter, finding food i will never forget, so within the game, it would be hard if you know something, haven't used it in 3-4 weeks, then you go to use that knowledge and what, you need to get so many ??? point back before you can . . . Nah

I would like to see you get skill points in doing the correct things at the correct time, ie : when we first crash and you realise you need to survive, and what you need to do in a particular order if possible and that is is address injuries, build shelter, build fire, locate water, locate food . . . . . . and if you can do things in that order you get skill set boost.

As you said @robdoar the list could get very long here, this should be more for people asking questions. There are so many RL experiences that could be added and for me personally, even though i have done the courses and been there done that, its the cold that will affect my judgment, as i have only been in the outback, where its 40c in the shade, but over night it can get down to -0c and below, but snow is a whole new game. Its one of the things that drew me in. To test me in an way.

These are all good aspects to have in the game, but disagree about loosing the skill level of something you have learnt when you haven't used it in a while.

Given myself, its been 20yrs since i have faced true survival, but i haven't forgotten how to do things, I'm just a little rusty, and will take a couple of goes to make that small trap, and the likes.

That was kinda my point. you would never lose something you learned, just become slightly less proficient as the skill goes unused over time.

@robdoar: I have no idea if this will be added in the game (I don't think there are many games, if any that have used it as a learning tool) -- but what would you look for in animal droppings?

I know personally this has been an interesting year for our family (we moved to a bear friendly community). From knowing absolutely nothing about bears and their habits, I've just realized how much I've learned just from having to pick up all their poop in our front yard every day.

It's reached the point that I can tell which bear (or group) is which... their direction of travel (from what they've been eating and which are healthiest), and even the approx time they stop. I had no idea they were such creatures of patterns and habits.

So, in the woods, what kind of things would animal droppings tell you? Or is that something all that isn't important?

@robdoar: I have no idea if this will be added in the game (I don't think there are many games, if any that have used it as a learning tool) -- but what would you look for in animal droppings?

Depends.. being able to identify it is first. Falcon Guides has a great north american one.

If I was looking for rabbits to hunt for example, I'd look for their droppings. But also, if I came across coyote or wolf, I'd look for fur and bones in theirs to see if there is rabbit potential in the area.

You can also tell by luster, solidity, and warmth how old it is (though that is tougher in cold weather)

In snow, Tracking is gold though.

@robdoar: (you know I'm gonna pick your brain as much as possible -- even though I'm no longer a zombie)

Q: In winter (perhaps other seasons too), would making a walking stick help in travel? I'm figuring it might help in testing hidden footing, reaching branches, and even acting as at least some sort of defense against animals.

*btw* I do have many photos from my various zombie days

Q: In winter (perhaps other seasons too), would making a walking stick help in travel? I'm figuring it might help in testing hidden footing, reaching branches, and even acting as at least some sort of defense against animals.

You're mind is on the right track! I always have a walking stick. I have a bad ankle, that I've had a reconstruction on, and a stick adds stability for me.

In a snowy landscape, it's very difficult to tell terrain as snow drifts conceal it.

There's been many a time where I'm walking on a seemingly flat area, only to find a 2 foot drop hidden by snow.

Another danger is crossing water. Lakes are usually pretty solid, but some streams/creeks/rivers with fast moving water never completely freeze over. A stick can alert you to unsure footing.

If you decide to sharpen an end for animal defense, make sure you walk with that end down, or you might need to fashion a bushcraft eyepatch.

What are some the most common mistakes novices make?

Not staying put! While the setting of the game is different, in the real world, the best thing you can do is not widen the search area. If your car dies, stay with it. If your plane crashes, stay with it. If you lose your trail, stay where you are.

Exceptions being if it is hazardous to to so.

Another thing is people don't have the tools needed to improve their situation. Sufficient water, layers of clothing, cutting tool, etc.

What's the hardest failure you've had to deal with?

While about 3 miles off of a trail, I rolled my ankle and tore several ligaments. I fashioned crutches but that was the longest 3 miles of my life.

Is it easier to go it alone vs having an inexperienced partner tagging along?

That's a good question. Experience doesn't really matter. It really depends on the mental outlook of the partner. Having someone who's given up mentally with make survival that much harder. Its easier for them to bring you down, than it is for you to bring them up.

@robdoar, at least you managed to walk back, which is a lot more than I would. My biggest fear on my outings is hurting my foot/leg so I can't walk. The places where I go are really impossible to get lost in as the "wildest" place is a small nature reserve (a bog with plank paths for walking) where, if you get lost (go off the path to pick berries without keeping track of where you're going, for example), you just need to start walking in direct line and after a couple of kilometers at most, you'll come to a road or the river that'll lead you to a road as the whole area is surrounded by main roads. However, if you can't walk, things will get difficult as the rescue people will have to carry you along the plank paths. At least I think so, I mean, they're so stingy that I'm sure I wouldn't get a helicopter ride.

So, on the topic of mental preparedness:

What can you do to give yourself the best chance of survival?

You can't mentally prepare yourself for survival. In RL in you get yourself into a survival situation, your not there because you first prepared yourself mentally, and then went and got lost, a survival situation just happens.

BUT if you do ever get yourself into a survival situation, you just need to keep thinking positive, don't panic, and know you will come out the other side unscathed. The power of positive thinking can do wonder to your situation.

What's the most likely thing to bring you down? Time? Injury? Lack of food/water?

Lack of shelter, water, injury, food and then time in that order. Have always taught in a survival situation, if you put 'x' amount of effort in you need to get 'y' amount of energy back . . . Meaning if you spend 10 points of energy trying to find 5 points of energy, then it isn't worth doing.

But in any elements you need Shelter first, then water, (depending on injury), and you have all the time in the world as long as you have the first 2 and your injury is OK and you have energy with you (food)

If you feel defeated, how can you convince yourself to go on?

This is a person to person thing to deal with. Just depends on how mentally tough you are. But as i said above, you just keep telling yourself, all will be OK and you will pull through this endeavour.

So, on the topic of mental preparedness:

What can you do to give yourself the best chance of survival?

Knowledge weighs nothing. Learn and practice primitive skills. Spend time learning the edible and medicinal plants in your area and areas you frequent. When you're confident that you have skills that can affect your chances of survival, your outlook is exponentially more optimistic.

What's the most likely thing to bring you down? Time? Injury? Lack of food/water?

Sickness and injury is a big one. There's always work to do to keep you occupied. Food and water will wear on you over time, but if you're sick or injured, it's easy for you to mentally give up within hours.

If you feel defeated, how can you convince yourself to go on?

That's different for every person. I keep a laminated picture of my wife and kids in my boot, which is a great motivator. I take it as my personal responsibility to make sure I am there to provide for them. That keeps me going though all situations be it survival, or the work week.

Your motivation is going to be different, but whatever you hold dear in your life, remember it when times are tough.

I keep a laminated picture of my wife and kids in my boot, which is a great motivator. I take it as my personal responsibility to make sure I am there to provide for them. That keeps me going though all situations be it survival, or the work week.

I guess the game's Willpower Locket holds a much stronger meaning for you as well. Is that one of the things that caught your attention in TLD too?

• 1 month later...

Let me preface this comment with I know next to nothing about wilderness survival (One of the reasons I find TLD so interesting!) On my escapades through the interwebs I watched a video where an offhand comment was made about how a whetstones that came with this persons survival knife wasn't very good. This got me thinking how do you go about sharpening a blade in the wilderness if your strapped for supplies. I would assume a sharp blade would be a tremendous help in the wild and was wondering how you keep it that way.

I have a Lansky Diamond Rod as a staple in my kit.

I would not try to improvise a sharpener in the wilderness unless it was absolutely necessary. Unless you really know what you're doing, you are more likely to dull it, than sharpen.

That being said, you would want to use a smooth river rock, that is as flat as possible.

I would not try to improvise a sharpener in the wilderness unless it was absolutely necessary. Unless you really know what you're doing, you are more likely to dull it, than sharpen.

That being said, you would want to use a smooth river rock, that is as flat as possible.

Hmm that's interesting if you where to use a blade frequently in the wild how often would you say you would need to sharpen it to keep a keen edge? I assume it would be different depending on what tasks you where doing but was just wondering about a ballpark estimate.

Hmm that's interesting if you where to use a blade frequently in the wild how often would you say you would need to sharpen it to keep a keen edge? I assume it would be different depending on what tasks you where doing but was just wondering about a ballpark estimate.

I usually hone my edge nightly by the fire using the diamond rod.

The sharpness really depends on metal used, and the angle of the edge. D2 is tough as nails, but harder to get sharp. 440c will get razor sharp, but lose it's edge faster.

I use a trinity when I'm out. A small axe with a 25° angle, a Mora fixed with a 19°, and a folding with a 15°. Each serves it's purpose.

In a survival situation, with care and smart use, you should be able to get by for at least a few days to a week without needing to hone the edge.

Archived