REALISTIC game world time + mechanics

psychouk

1st of all - i KNOW that the plane crash can happen any time, but for the sake of players. being able to set your start time will be better.

TIME:

i think that the time should be realistic. 24hrs. being able to set YOUR local time and starting then.

having real time-zones: so when you log on at 10AM where you live. it`s daylight. then we can enjoy playing the game in the evening - knowing that we only have a few hours of day-light left.

and the minutes go by as in real time.

------------------------------------------------------------------

FOOD/DRINK:

food shouldn`t degrade in a short time. they should be long-lasting in a cold environment.

calories NEED to be made realistic, too. they burn off way too fast. :cry:

you need the game to be made so you can play it.

having to look for food all the time takes away the freedom.

more activity = sweating - you have to take adjust clothing. need to drink more. and more calory useage. :oops:

go hunting, fishing, hiking for miles with running out of calories faster that you would do in real life.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

CLOTHING:

clothing and tools - they degrade too fast.if they degraded more realistic - then you can actually play the game. ;)

----------------------------------------------------------------------

FREEDOM TO CREATE:

being able to [glow=red]DRAW your own map[/glow] - noting best places for hunting/fishing. being able to note where you stored things.

when making a fire with matches - they can break. but you shouldn`t LOOSE/USE UP tinder, paper, wood if you fail.

as they mentioned - there`s supposed to be trap making skills, too. that`ll be great. :o

basically - they need to make things more realistic. then you can play the game. go hunting, hiking...etc.

anyway - they`re my thoughts. i`ve been looking for at least a year, for a realistic survival game. and this could be it !

• Hinterland

We'll be continuing to tune various aspects of the game as the Sandbox continues to grow in physical size, but for now the tuning is built for the game clock and passage of time that drives interesting decision making for the player. For example, having a "real time" clock would mean hours upon hours of walking around with nothing happening -- maybe realistic but not the experience we are trying to build.

Other than that, I'll welcome your feedback once you play the game. It's one thing to judge based on videos, an entirely different thing to actually play the game and experience it for yourself. :)

cool. thanks for the reply !

im not judging the game. its just ideas i had. plus ive only been watching the gameplay videos on youtube for the past few days.

i`ve been into survival games for a while. so i`ll look forward to the game coming out.

thanks again for your reply. and hello from the UK \o/

We'll be continuing to tune various aspects of the game as the Sandbox continues to grow in physical size, but for now the tuning is built for the game clock and passage of time that drives interesting decision making for the player. For example, having a "real time" clock would mean hours upon hours of walking around with nothing happening -- maybe realistic but not the experience we are trying to build.

Other than that, I'll welcome your feedback once you play the game. It's one thing to judge based on videos, an entirely different thing to actually play the game and experience it for yourself. :)

"...as the sandbox continues to grow..."?

Excellent!

well. i`ve never bothered watching a developing game or commented on 1 before - so that shows how much of a fan of this game i am ;) thanks for replies.

i know what you meant. i`ve just been wanting a game like the long dark for years.

i`ll be treating myself to a copy. thank you !

• 2 weeks later...

There should be an option to enable realistic day/night cycles.

Right now in the game it gets dark at around 2300 or something and gets light at 0500 or something. It would be cool if you could enable true northern winter experience where it is dark most of the day

As you can see from this pic from Iqaluit's sunset/sunrise cycles.

During January and December there basically only is sunshine between 9 and 13. The rest is either twilight/darkness

13507174.t.jpg

well, i`ve played the game and it`s really good. but, its certainly harsh. you`ve got to use your energy well to last. ;)

@ KELBERT - they can`t make the nights last months or days last months - you wouldn`t have food / water.

i think that if they made it so you could store food in the natural freezer (under snow / ice) to last much longer - that would be cool.

clothing could last longer. wear out slower - so you can explore more and harvest more things.

i think running or cutting trees for firewood should make you warmer, too.

other than the longevity of clothing / tools - i`d give it a solid 8 out of 10.

congrats on making a really good game. thanks. :D

• 2 months later...

Archived