Will there be a modding system akin to Steam Workshop?

junaid_hussain

I think the world of TLD has so much potential, and though I don't know what engine it will be using (I was assuming something like UE3), what would expand that potential for a survival game is to allow modability to it. It' just something IMO would enhance the game. For example, people would be able to mod in new NPCs, add/remove/revise gameplay elements to it, turn the world into something else and so on.

So the question I'm asking is, will there be a modding feature with the game, or will time constraints and/or choice of engine dictate that this is an impossibility to consider?

Thanks in advance

(Ahh, I was just about to ask about this!)

I was thinking along the lines of adding in lore friendly features that the Dev. team maybe hadn't thought of, or wouldn't have used in a certain way that really makes sense in the way they designed it and adds to the game.

(I love the modding community on PC, but nothing annoys me more, in this case, than stuff that just doesn't make sense to add. Stay lore friendly please, and away from uber-weapons/items/characters/purple double ponytail hair pieces.)

But, to each his own I guess, that's why they make mods optional.

Also, I always go ultra high quality video setting mods any time I can. Not trying to boast, I just love the fact that it helps me feel more a part of the world when things have a sense of depth to them. ( I know they are using cell shading here, but still...)

I wholeheartedly agree about changing the lore, rather than unlimited ammo, OP items etc. I just mentioned that as it's something modders like to do for people who want it like that. The possibility is great, it depends though on what engine they use, and whether they release tools to allow modding.

By the way, Hinterland on Oct 16, here's the comment as promised: "Regarding mod support -- this is something we want to do. We need to go through due diligence on what it means first, so we aren't ready to announce anything yet."

Not much I can add from what Kessa said other than the game is being built on Unity not Unreal. Other than that, seems the studio wants to do it but depends. Fingers crossed.

Personally I have yet to see a game that has not benefited from modding tbh, but I might be wrong

• 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...

A lot of potential for modding this game. From story-telling (AmnesiaTDD-style) to changing the gameplay entirely. New maps, new items, new weapons, extended survival stats, harsher difficulties, new cabins/homes and interiors, etc.

Mod capability = much extended replayability.

• 2 weeks later...
A lot of potential for modding this game. From story-telling (AmnesiaTDD-style) to changing the gameplay entirely. New maps, new items, new weapons, extended survival stats, harsher difficulties, new cabins/homes and interiors, etc.

Mod capability = much extended replayability.

I'm totally agree with that. modding would be marvelous for this game.

• 3 weeks later...

Modding would be a great feature to have, however I'm not so sure how easy it would be for the team. From what I can tell they're using the Unity Engine, which I personally love, it's exceptionally easy to work with, however I'm not sure what capabilities it may have in terms of creation of modding tools. However these guys are far more experienced with game development then me, so it's quite possible they can do it easy (I'd have no idea where to begin for something like this). Just hope if it's added, they can somehow allow us to script in C# for our mods. Would be even greater if we could load assets into Unity for the mod creation, but that's my opinion, and it could always present issues of asset theft depending how it's done I guess.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I suppose you or anyone else may begin with simply modeling-unwrapping-texturing something and just showing your work up. With a 3D Ripper you can investigate how many polygons are wasted on trees, cars, household items, etc. Textures resolutions. For example any could make a hunting double-barreled rifle and, perhaps, if done nicely, it might be just included in the game. Double-barreled rifle do needs additional animations, which is tricky without having an access to modified Dark Unity, so anyone may start with something static like new sofa, watertower for a village, etc. I suppose it is not restricted to create a whole new tiny location like Raven. All in all I just want to say that it is always better to make something and show up, than to ask a permission. You just have to stick to the visual style of the Long Dark and consider how exactly developers spend polygons on their props/assets. And, of course, that's my own opinion, no insulting, maybe I am wrong.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
At this time, we have community mods for language available, but outside of that everything else is not open. That could change in the future as we are excited about the possibilities afforded through mods. :)

It's the best (and cheapest!) way to create a deep and loyal community of fans of your young studio and ensure your intellectual property stays relevant for years to come. I'm sure you folks know this. You know the right thing to do. :D

• 2 months later...
Mods would be awesome, and mods do create a loyal community

I would love to see "developer approved " mods in this game, no souped up weapons etc, Just mods that the developers approve.

I'd prefer any mods at all being possible, with maybe non-developer-approved mods shutting off the leader boards and/or achievements for those using them. This would really open up possibilities of new plants, animals, traps, clothing, buildings, maps, etc... that would improve variety, a sense of anticipation, and the fun factor in general.

I have other Steam games that shut off achievements in modded games and the achievements aren't missed at all; the benefits of mods far outweigh them.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Just give us access to the developer tools. It will shut up anyone who asks for more realistic rules and the Devs can create the game they envision.

I will most certainly create a mod to make the gameplay super realistic and implement any other feature I feel the game needs and put it up for download. It would be a huge gain for the community and for the game's popularity.

Would mods help this game become better or just worse that is the question.

What would you want to mod? skins,textures fair enough, but anything new like new tools new food resources etc will defiantly stuff up all the careful balancing that would have been done.

So to me in no modding its not needed, specially in early stages of this game life. Maybe after x amount of years!

Just give us access to the developer tools. It will shut up anyone who asks for more realistic rules and the Devs can create the game they envision.

I will most certainly create a mod to make the gameplay super realistic and implement any other feature I feel the game needs and put it up for download. It would be a huge gain for the community and for the game's popularity.

If you have the knowledge and other needed abilities...why do you want to mod others creations...why don't you just code a game by (for) yourself? ;)

So to me in no modding its not needed, specially in early stages of this game life. Maybe after x amount of years!

+1

Typically access to developer tools are not given until the final product is released. Which just makes sense. I wasn't asking them to release them now. Though if they did, they'd likely get some great ideas that they could incorporate into the finished product, which is what mods tend to do. Generate creativity.

Installing a mod by it's very nature is a choice. It cannot ruin a game. Why? Because if you don't like it, don't install it. Even then, just uninstall it. Pretty simple. I've never heard of anyone arguing against the ability to mod before. I'm blown away.

Archived