You know you have been playing TLD for too long when...

norup

... you walk slowly backwards when you listen a dog bark like Fluffy, looking where to pass by without beeing seen.

... you already bought antibiotics and antiseptics because they are rare and hard to find.

... you hit TAB to know how hungry, thristy or tired you are.

... you always have snow with you, just in case you enter a house with an oven or fireplace.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

... you come across a dead body at a murder scene, and stop and ask a cop "Can I have his long underwear?"

... you start rating the quality of drinking water from the toilets at friends, family, and neighbors' houses

... you replace your window air conditioner with on monitor displaying The Long Dark front menu screen

... you look at the neighbor's chihuahua thinking "yeah, I think I can take you and survive the blood loss"

... you start looking at your coworkers, thinking about what loot their corpse might supply you with in the game

... you serve your family a bottle of water and a can of dog food for dinner: "What? That's enough for you to live through the night"

... you watch Bambi with your kids, and start thinking "6 raw venison, 4 hides, 2 guts, and root for the wolves"

... you walk through a forest and suddenly feel "Meh... it's just not as immersive when it looks real"

... when grocery shopping means just buying 4 cans of peaches and 6 can openers

... every time you hear a bird chirp, you race around searching for a body to search

... you look at the neighbor's chihuahua thinking "yeah, I think I can take you and survive the blood loss"

LOL!

For me it's when I shut my computer down at 4 in the morning after playing The Long Dark for god knows how long and in the darkness of my bedroom I try to press 2 to bring up the lantern so I can see...

...or when I go to the grocery store and find myself unconsciously calculating the weight to calorie ratio of all the food I'm buying...

• 2 months later...

- you have a great sense of feeling for the exact outside air temperature and calculate the the calories you get after eating.

- you always hope that nobody needs the items you find lying around in the future

- you move to a house having a fireplace and you dont pay for natural gas, fueloil or other means of heating resources.

- you became a natural born tailor, engineer, forester, mechanic, sprinter and sharpshooter

- you have a general feeling of "surviving another day" when you get back to bed

... you watch Bambi with your kids, and start thinking "6 raw venison, 4 hides, 2 guts, and root for the wolves"

... you walk through a forest and suddenly feel "Meh... it's just not as immersive when it looks real"

... you have nosebleeding and you instantly harvest your socks to stop that.

I have no words for you guys I am totally finished :D

- you spend more time on the forums when in the game

• 1 year later...

Fun thing I noticed today: My backpack I use for uni to carry my laptop and other assorted stuff makes the exact same noise as the TLD inventory.

My neighbour's dog also sounds way too much like the wolves in TLD. Combine that with my irrational fear of dogs, and yeah, coming home actually sucks.

I seem to have a huge amount of canned foods in my pantry nowadays - is that a sign?

Archived