#3007 - v.282 Slow motion sounds

Addle

When I first run the game, the sound is fine. I have two monitors, and if I click an application there, allowing TLD to lose focus, when I return to the game, all the sounds have been slowed and the pitch is very low, as if the sounds are being played at a very low rate. Sounds like if you play something in slow motion. The usual SDL2 behaviour is to minimize the game when it loses focus, but I have 'export SDL_VIDEO_MINIMIZE_ON_FOCUS_LOSS=0' set as an environment variable to prevent that, in case this is relevant to reproducing it.

I am on Arch Linux with an NVidia GTX560 graphics card and fx-6300 AMD CPU. If I can help in any way, please feel free to contact me.

P.S. This bug report split off from another post so you have one bug per thread.

To chime in, I have precisely the same issue but don't have SDL_VIDEO_MINIMIZE_ON_FOCUS_LOSS altered. It's especially awkward as the game launches on my leftmost display, and moving it to my primary centre display triggers the glitch; meaning I have to disable that monitor to play with regular sound.

Not sure if it's related, but changing in-game audio levels doesn't have any effect either, the volume remains constant regardless (Even if muted).

Running Debian 8.2 on KDE, AMD R9 270X on Open Source drivers, AMD FX-6100, Xonar DS SPU through a Phonon backend.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a similar issue, but one display only. I switch to another apps several times and the sound is fine.

Then after some time of playing the sound becomes slowed.

Kubuntu 14.04.3 LTS, KDE, built-in audio (gigabyte z77x-d3h mb), phonon gstreamer backend

product: 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family High Definition Audio Controller

vendor: Intel Corporation

configuration: driver=snd_hda_intel latency=0

Nvidia GeForce GTX 660

• 4 weeks later...

I have the same issue. Most times when music comes up (but usually not with voices), the sound seems crackly and it appears to make the game slow down, as if my system wasn´t fast enough to run it. I can´t be sure if the whole game is stalling for a moment or just the audio, but it really is unpleasant, especially because the music in the game is so beautiful and I can´t hear it properly.

• 3 weeks later...

I hear the same issue - after playing a while (and possibly switching in and out of the game), some aspects of the audio change playback rate. Footprint sounds don't seem to be ever affected, but the character's vocalizations are, crow sounds, wolf sounds, etc.

I'm running 64-bit Xubuntu 15.04 with a GeForce GTX760, and when I dual boot this machine into Windows and play the game there I have zero audio issues.

I have the same issue in v.301 here. It's not just on window focus change. For me the characteristics are:

(1) Adjusting system volume with keyboard volume up/down keys also triggers it, every time one of these keys is used. Also happens every time I alt-tab out and back in to the game.

(2) The crackling I get is so intense in the high frequencies that it's painful and I have to take my headphones off, or kill the game. I don't listen to the game on very high volume, it's just that the high frequency crackling is about 10 times louder than everything else.

(3) All audio is affected, all the time, and nothing I do will fix it except restarting the game. I've tried: changing sound in the game menus, going back to the game start menu, retrying everything that triggers the bug in hopes that it would "trigger back" to normal

(4) When the audio bug is triggered, the game stalls for about a second. Since this happens every time I use the volume up/down buttons on my keyboard, if I do a quick 3 taps to adjust the volume, the game will stall 3 times for about a second each.

Audio sounds similar to what's in the video linked to in this post: viewtopic.php?f=101&t=9208&p=52139&hilit=sound#p52139

I'm running an up-to-date 64-bit Ubuntu 14.04 LTS installation, using GNOME and pulseaudio, as in most standard Ubuntu installations. If I can give more useful information I'm happy to do so to help fix this.

• 4 weeks later...

• Bug description: the character pronounce audio comments in slow motion. It seems the bug appears only after the first minimizing of the game (alt + tab);
  • Visibility: always
  • Version of the game: v.302
  • PC Configuration:
    CPU: Phenom II X6 1055T (2.8GHz)
    RAM: 16 Gb
    Video: GeForce GTX750 (1Gb)
    Sound: Creative X-Fi Xtreme Gamer

• 3 weeks later...

I can confirm that this happens even without Pulseaudio running (i.e. using ALSA directly), without KDE or GNOME desktop environments installed. Don't know about what's happening with the sound, but I'm wondering if what triggers might be X-related.

Hardware is the same as when I posted earlier, but OS is different. My system is quite stripped down compared to a typical Ubuntu installation but TLD behaves identically. I'm running a Gentoo system with a custom-configured kernel and xmonad as my window manager (no desktop environment). I don't expect this particular configuration to be supported since it's rather unusual, but I mention this information in case it might be useful in narrowing down potential causes of the problem for the majority of Linux users that are experiencing this with a mainstream Ubuntu (or similar) system.

Possible theory: TLD has some sort of hiccup when a Linux user generates input that bypasses or is meant to bypass the game and go straight to the window manager.

Rationale: Alt-tabbing and using volume keys on the keyboard both trigger it. Using volume keys doesn't trigger a focus change, and alt-tabbing isn't sound-related, so the fact both of them are reliable triggers (at least for me) is interesting.

I tried some stuff with this theory in mind and discovered some additional things.

1. Switching to a different virtual terminal with a keypress combination (e.g. Ctrl+Alt+F1 for tty 1) does *not* trigger the bug. Such a key combination is defined and usable in plain Linux, outside of any X system, window manager, or really any kind of graphics drawing capability.

2. Other keys that *do* interact with the window manager, (in my case, due to my configuration, several key combinations of the form Win+X, Win+Y, etc.) *do* trigger the bug. I defined a key binding for my window manager that is for all intents and purposes a no-op, but using it while the game is running triggers the bug.

3. Other keys and key combinations that do nothing in my window manager, and presumably do nothing in game, do *not* trigger the bug. Important to mention is the fact that activating the Steam overlay (with Shift+Tab) does *not* trigger the bug (again, it doesn't interact with my window manager, but that particular key combination may be a special case in the game anyways).

I strongly suspect this bug has something to do with the way TLD interacts with the windowing system (potentially with X, though I'd be surprised if the game directly interacted with X at any point).

Archived