On day 90 and still haven't figured out toolboxes

Wasteland Watcher

2 minutes ago, Wasteland Watcher said:

Agree 100% on not being exposed too long to the elements which is why I prefer to harvest with tools.

But, since in The Long Dark knives and hatchets are limited, valuable resources I find myself more and more often risking the elements to "save my knife" by harvesting an entire fresh carcass by hand. Well, at least the meat.

I wish that knife condition merely affected speed of harvest rather than letting you know that you eventually will be knife-less.

Oh, it does more than just shorten time. Completely frozen carcasses cannot be harvested by hand but they can be harvested with a knife or hatchet. With partially frozen carcasses having a tool will drastically reduce harvesting time. So, if you come across a deer killed by a wolf where the carcass is now 25% frozen than the time differences between knife, hatchet and bare hands will be really, really noticeable.

4 minutes ago, Wasteland Watcher said:

Oh and want to apologize to anyone reading looking for info on toolboxes because of the severe topic drift ....apparently this post is about knife condition now and not toolboxes anymore

Topic drift: a frequent hazard on the Long Dark forums :silly:

No known cures. Common treatments produce mixed results

On 3/7/2016 at 11:56 PM, cekivi said:

Interesting. I do the opposite: I always try to keep my on hand tools at 100% with the belief that better maintained tools can accomplish tasks faster so I'm less likely to have weather or animals sneak up on me.

Less time, few calories and the ghost of my grandfather saying "tsk, your tools are dull, never let your tools get dull" - pretty much why I keep my knife and hatchet as close to 100% as possible.  Er, not that I would EVER let the memory of a real person interfer with my actions in an imaginary world. :D

4 hours ago, Jolan said:

Less time, few calories and the ghost of my grandfather saying "tsk, your tools are dull, never let your tools get dull

IRL I don't keep blunt tools but hadn't noticed a difference in the long dark, chopping wood still takes the same amount of time regardless and i thought dressing a carcass was based on how frozen it was.

I guess I was kinda cheating and thinking in patches to come if by some miracle another method of sharpening was introduced I'd have a stack of blunt tools at my disposal!

On 3/10/2016 at 7:10 AM, cekivi said:

Oh, it does more than just shorten time. Completely frozen carcasses cannot be harvested by hand but they can be harvested with a knife or hatchet. With partially frozen carcasses having a tool will drastically reduce harvesting time. So, if you come across a deer killed by a wolf where the carcass is now 25% frozen than the time differences between knife, hatchet and bare hands will be really, really noticeable.

It's why I always carry two knives and a hatchet. But if I find a carcass that's less than 50% frozen I'll pull the meat out by hand if the weather is good. ;)b

20 hours ago, illanthropist said:

I guess I was kinda cheating and thinking in patches to come if by some miracle another method of sharpening was introduced I'd have a stack of blunt tools at my disposal!

Good on you for thinking ahead!
So far I keep a hatchet at around 50% and never use it on anything other than harvesting frozen meat and two knives: one at 100% for fighting and another at whatever % for meat harvesting. I've found around 5 other knives that so someday when I get down to just two knives left... that will be both a great and depressing day.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/15/2016 at 3:20 AM, illanthropist said:

IRL I don't keep blunt tools but hadn't noticed a difference in the long dark, chopping wood still takes the same amount of time regardless and i thought dressing a carcass was based on how frozen it was.

for chopping wood when I was tracking it there was a difference in calories - for dressing game there was a difference in time though not as big of a difference as frozen not frozen - but there is also a difference between tools and what you're cutting and how frozen it is - part of the reason why I do it in seperate tasks 

Archived