Survival ad infinitum.

Valok

Howdy!

I just saw some playthrough's of the game on youtube and I am honestly very interested on it, I'll probably pick it up on the steam release. Meanwhile however I got a few question's about the game..

I did a search both here/google and on the steam forums but I did not managed to find exactly what I was looking for. If however this has already been answered I apologize.

Does the game offer the chance (or will it offer) to survive "indefinitely"? Do item's respawn across the world? Is there some kind of "farming"(terrible choice of word, I know)? Maybe survive by just hunting? In short, is it/will it be possible - provided enough experience (and luck) - to settle up somewhere and just "live" there?

Thank you in advance.

In the sandbox mode, you will die, it's just a question of when. Items do not respawn and they wear out eventually (either by time or usage). The current #1 in leaderboards (survived a bit over 50 days) spent last days naked indoors after all the clothes had worn out. So no, you can't survive indefinitely.

• 2 weeks later...

lol, naked after 50 days? IRL clothes can't be worn out so quickly. I found so much clothes during one gameplay, maybe I havent too much clothes in my own wardrobe :)

As TLD is trying to be realistic, this should be little bit alleviated ...

• 1 month later...
lol, naked after 50 days? IRL clothes can't be worn out so quickly. I found so much clothes during one gameplay, maybe I havent too much clothes in my own wardrobe :)

As TLD is trying to be realistic, this should be little bit alleviated ...

A lot of people complain about this. And the fact that the knives degrade so friggin quick. It's a shame really.

• 1 month later...
You're sustainable if you can make clothes, hunt, and make fire using only tools you can make yourself. I think bone needles and stone knives and arrowheads would be within a lone survivor's time budget and hope to see things like that as crafting recipes down the road.

I would like to see basically anything you could craft in order to allow you to kill deer once you are out of hunting rifle bullets.

In my current game I'm somewhere around day 34 and I still am doing great on clothes and tools (except no hunting rifle ammo) and I have tons of scrap metal and cloth that I use to keep my clothes in good shape. I have looted virtually the entire mystery lake map including the prepper's bunker with the exception of a few minor out of the way hunting stands or body/backpack locations.

However, ultimately my survival time is limited by the fact that I can't catch more deer or wolves for pelts and guts to use to repair crafted clothes items or build snares - and that I will run out of cloth and scrap metal eventually. Since my food procurement depends on snares and fishing tackle now that I can't hunt with the rifle, eventually I will be screwed since both of those break over time and I need guts (only gained from wolves and deer) to build new ones. Getting fires going will also be a challenge before long as I only have about 10 matches left and only a flashlight for setting outdoor fires (didn't find a firestriker).

I'm just hoping to make it to day 40 and maybe even migrate onwards to the costal highway if I get close to 50 (although I doubt I can make it that far). Right now I'm splitting my time by spending a few days at the lake (my main base is the camp office obviously) fishing for food and then traveling to my second base at the trapper's homestead to monitor my dozen or so rabbit snares on the hill near there.

• 3 weeks later...

FYI, you can snare rabbits quite close to the building at ML. When you exit, face away from the lake and cross the tracks diagonally to the right. There's a clearing in there with rabbits. Watch for the wolf that patrols the area though. He got me right as I walked around the jutting-out rock and was only 10 feet away. I had even climbed on the rock to look first, but he was hidden by the overhang! LOL Shows how you can get burnt, no matter how careful.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, personally I don't care much for the 'infinite survival' aspects of the game. The story mode is where I keep my hopes for an engaging experience in the long run. The sandbox is fun, but once you get past the initial hurdles it just turns into more like work than an actual game. I guess that's my experience of most 'survival' game and MMOs - it's just grind. Some people enjoy that I guess.

When you start doing weird stuff and gaming the system just to rack up time, thats just pointless to me. What's the fun in that, doing the same thing for hours on end?

Looking at the leaderboard the leader has 26000 hours survived. Either there's something very strange going on there or this person has a very different view than me of what a fun game experience is. 26k hours is *three years* ffs!

http://steamcommunity.com/stats/305620/ ... rds/611479

I've managed 60 days in my current game and things are already getting stale so probably will restart once another update is out...

• 4 weeks later...
You're sustainable if you can make clothes, hunt, and make fire using only tools you can make yourself. I think bone needles and stone knives and arrowheads would be within a lone survivor's time budget and hope to see things like that as crafting recipes down the road.

Right on!

Well, personally I don't care much for the 'infinite survival' aspects of the game. The story mode is where I keep my hopes for an engaging experience in the long run. The sandbox is fun, but once you get past the initial hurdles it just turns into more like work than an actual game. I guess that's my experience of most 'survival' game and MMOs - it's just grind. Some people enjoy that I guess.

When you start doing weird stuff and gaming the system just to rack up time, thats just pointless to me. What's the fun in that, doing the same thing for hours on end?

Looking at the leaderboard the leader has 26000 hours survived. Either there's something very strange going on there or this person has a very different view than me of what a fun game experience is. 26k hours is *three years* ffs!

http://steamcommunity.com/stats/305620/ ... rds/611479

I've managed 60 days in my current game and things are already getting stale so probably will restart once another update is out...

Leaderboards were porked from the get go with the fact anything digital is hacked about 15 min after it goes online. I am hoping they continue to build on the current things to do experience, which will take up more time during the day. Right now sewing is a pretty low rate task as is making water, and foraging for wood but some of these tasks need to take more time and there need to be more tasks to do. Making water should take collection of containers, and your total water supply should be dictated by the number of containers you have not by how long you can keep a fire going, and the number of fires you can make should depend on availability and crafting of fire-making tools and your skill as you use them to make new fires. The whole "lets use matches for 90%" of fires started in the game is ridiculous. Matches would be the one of the first things to run out in a real survival situation, and this is only offset that you can find anywhere from dozens to a hundred of them.

Surviving forever is possible (v.200)! I just crossed day 365 and have no end in site.

1. Forage around until you find a magnifying glass - this is the only man-made item you need. You can get clothes, and tools and the rifle to make startup easier, but they are all unnecessary and will wither to dust eventually.

2. Set up shop in one of the places that has a bed and craft table. I prefer the Trapper's Homestead (unoriginal, but easiest).

3. There is only one source of recurring food that doesn't require you to use any non-renewable resources - abandoned deer kill. There is a trick (bug?) to get the wolf to leave the carcass before it has eaten all the sweet, sweet flesh. Track the wolf until it kills a deer, or flush a deer to it. Do not engage the wolf! A nasty cut will require peroxide, old-man beard, mushrooms, or antibiotics - all non-renewable resources. Instead, run back to you home and sleep for 1 hour. Run back outside and the carcass will be there, sans wolfie with about 3kg of flesh. If you have sun, make a fire with your magnifying glass and wood that you foraged with bare hands. This allows you to harvest the meat, leather, and gut without you or the deer freezing.

4. Use the gut to make rabbit snares to supplement diet and make mitts.

5. ABS - Always Be Starvin. Sleep a lot (lowest calorie use) and and eat as little as possible. Let your condition fall to ~50% from starvation before eating.

6. Forage fir wood by hand as often as you can (tedious, but necessary).

7. Make a big bonfire for water every so often.

8. Make deerskin boots and rabbitskin mitts by hand as often as you have the materials.

9. Survive a lonely, starving, back breaking existence ad infinitum.

I love this game.

The disappearing wolf when you enter a building, sleep an hour and go back is a bug, so once that's fixed...

It is possible to lure a wolf away from it's kill (without a flare/ torch), but it's hard to do so without being attacked.

But still, using wolves to kill deer results in leather and gut that you can collect, even if all the meat is gone. With the gut you can create snares and then you can catch rabbits. If you set enough snares in the right places, you can catch 4 rabbits a day. That's enough to survive on. Especially if you don't mind starving a lot.

• 2 weeks later...

Isn't scrap metal the one bottleneck you can't get around? You need it to keep the hatchet and/or knife in good repair, which in turn is needed to strip the meat off of the deer. You may be able to live a good long while before this becomes an issue, but it'll become an issue eventually, and it puts a hard ceiling on any playthrough.

Two things:

1. You'll be bored out of your mind before you run out of scrap metal if you manage it correctly. I'm on 900+ days and have 15+ scrap metal and loads of items that can still be scrapped. But yes, eventually you will run out.

2. You can harvest a carcass with your bare hands as long as it's not frozen. If it is frozen, you can thaw it by building a fire next to it.

Running out of ways to start a fire is the only thing I can think of that will truly end your game by running out of some resource. Everything else you can do without (it will make your life much harder obviously) but without fire you will eventually get sick or attract one wolf too many because you're running around with raw meat.

I have a shocking tolerance for boredom. :D I'm coming up on 300 even though my survival routine became rote long ago. But yeah, while scrap metal is finite you get enough of a condition boost from each repair that I assumed it would take quite awhile to become a real issue.

Good to know about the carcass/fire thing. I haven't really had that come up yet.

And yeah, fire seems to be the thing. Which seems appropriate.

Harvesting a carcass by hand does take much longer than using any tool so keep that in mind. Especially now wolves are attracted to raw meat.

I harvested a few carcasses by hand (1 deer and several rabbits) but I realized that harvesting a none frozen carcass with a knife doesn't hurt the knife much. It's condition drops so slowly there's no reason to take twice the amount of time just to spare the knife.

Archived