Canadian Armchair Survivalist and Retired Software Engineer in QA

SteveP

A little bit of background on me.

BSc of Mechanical Engineering U of A - computer applications in engineering and N/C machining, stochastic analysis, wind power and fluid dynamics, airfoils and wind turbine blades. Built a working prototype windmill on the N/C milling machine for wind tunnel testing, N/C milling and computer generated gear pump design.

IBM mainframe and peripheral field engineer - strong background in computer architecture and hardware

Software developer, Senior QA, Senior trouble shooter & support, performance test engineer and senior QA manager: telecom software on Coherent Unix  and PC, Financial systems, air traffic control and automated radio workforce dispatching , database performance analysis, network model databases including Raima Data Manager, db_Vista and db*. Retired.

Avid fly fisherman, camping and survivalist. Interests: survival techniques, flint knapping, forging, black smithing, hunting, tracking, snaring, ballistics, reloading, primitive technology, evolution of human species, social evolution, WWII tanks and history.

HO scale model trains and layout construction.

Interested in politics, social responsibility, governance, ISO 9001, wind power (engineering), green technology and organizing social media campaigns.

I have a 15 yr old son and a long hair dachshund. I battle disabilities & depression so I immerse myself in topics and internet research. I tend to ask a lot of questions.

Hi SteveP! New member here, what caught my eye is your interest in HO scale model railroading. Grew up with it - my Dad was an avid model railroader and HO was his preferred scale. Had an entire basement empire that he built and maintained over a period of 40 years. Just wanted to say hi and say I appreciate this passion of yours.

On 2016-03-04 at 9:54 AM, hauteecolerider said:

Hi SteveP! New member here, what caught my eye is your interest in HO scale model railroading. Grew up with it - my Dad was an avid model railroader and HO was his preferred scale. Had an entire basement empire that he built and maintained over a period of 40 years. Just wanted to say hi and say I appreciate this passion of yours.

Yeah, I know several friends who have small empires in their apartments and basements! It's a slowly dying hobby due to the space requirements.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I've been offline for quite some time; I don't know if you noticed the lack of polls however some have apparently been carrying this on. I am in the process of house hunting so please bear with me!

It does not look like much has changed in the last couple of weeks; more bug fixes and so forth. What is new? What have I missed?

It may be some time before I have an opportunity to revisit the forum.

• 7 months later...

Archived