Question on the World Explored Stat

Wasteland Watcher

1 minute ago, illanthropist said:

No, only named locations trigger the update to stats when you get the HUD message saying new area.  22%?  I was sure after exploring all of Mystery Lake it hit 20%, have you been to another zone?

Ah ok. No other zones yet, I've only been on Mystery Lake in this sandbox and have "discovered 36 locations."

2 minutes ago, Wasteland Watcher said:

Ah ok. No other zones yet, I've only been on Mystery Lake in this sandbox and have "discovered 36 locations."

Maybe I'm wrong with 20% then, I'm wondering if they are calculated differently i.e finding the Logging Camp area updates the % explored but entering all 3 buildings there count to the location amount and not %

The different main maps all contain a different number of locations. The overall percentages thus aren't 20% each, but vary quite a lot. The Ravine e.g. doesn't have a single location that triggers a discovery whereas Coastal Highway has more than 40.

TheBugfixer and me tried to count the number of locations that cause a "new discovery" message to fade in some time ago (the related post is in the German subforums). Here are our results:

DP: 16 

Crumbling Highway: 5

CH : 42 

Ravine: 0

ML: 35 

Winding River : 1 

PV : 38 (of which 4 failed to trigger the overall counter)

TWM : 22 

Can't promise that these numbers are 100% correct (counting all fade-ins is pretty tedious and I sometimes lost concentration to be honest), some areas might thus contain one location more or less than in this list. But it's definitely a starting point and can probably give you some valuable orientation if you want to explore everything yourselves.

7 hours ago, Wasteland Watcher said:

In this sandbox I've been on Mystery Lake 70 days and discovered (I think) all named locations. The "world explored" stat reads that I've discovered 22% of the map. 
Do you have to literally walk on every part of the map to "discover" all of it?

Same 22%. I've been very careful to not leave ML.

59 minutes ago, Jackhatchet said:

Same 22%. I've been very careful to not leave ML.

I'm preparing to leave so moved out of Camp Office. 

I've consolidated all the metal,  medical supplies,  & tools I found into one area and when I get down to my last two hunting knives and one hatchet I will leave mystery lake 

Thanks for that breakdown Scyzara I've paid more attention since this post and logged in my journal going along:

In the order found

Mystery Lake (35 locations 22%)

Dave's Quiet Clearing
Lake Trail
Camp Office
Mystery  Lake (West)
Lake Cabins
Cabin
Tunnel Collapse
Max's Last Stand
Trapper's Homestead
Trappers Cabin

Deadfall Area
Mystery Lake
Ice Fishing Huts
Lake Cabins (b)
Cabin
Cabin
Cabin
Lone Lake Cabin
Cabin (hunter area)
Clearcut

Forestry Lookout
Logging Camp
Trailer
Trailer
Trailer
Train Loading Area
Train Bridge
Carter Hydro Upper
Carter Hydro Lower
Alan's  Cave

River (Northern Access)
River (Southern Access)
Unnamed Pond
Frozen Creek
Lookout

• 7 months later...

EDIT ** i have 37 locations discovered in ML 23%, Bunker included. Not sure if winding river counted.

it had said 36 locations discovered, 22% before i found the bunker

You guys are missing the Lake Overlook, a climbing rope takes you there from southern river access

Archived