Finding a RIFLE!

Is it bad that most long term players know where are the "spawn" locations are now?

I know it's inevitable to learn the spawn locations but it would be neat to find a rifle leaning against a tree in the middle of nowhere just once :D

According to my granddad, one of my great-great uncles did just that. A moose he had shot stood back up when he went to gut it. The moose had been shot in the head: enough to knock him senseless but not otherwise fatal. He took off so fast he forgot to pick up his rifle and never found it again! O.o

If you were playing and you don't mind using up a few lives to explore everything without hints, you can certainly play that way. I think many people get frustrated since finding a weapon is pretty important for surviving the blizzards; you need meat. The people who have played long enough, have learned where to look. It could be interesting to really randomize the locations of the weapons but it makes the game more difficult that way. Hinterland examines the user logs to see how long people last and found that newbies had certain problem areas so they try to strike a balance. Please correct me if I misspeak. I suggest that the goal of a game is to present excitement and a challenge and continue to add challenges as player proficiency improves. This can readily be done using heuristics (special tools in software that adapt to historical data to "learn")

You don't need a rifle to survive.You can scare wolf away from its catch, you can make a bow, you cand find a carcass with some meat, you can catch a rabbit or a fish. There are a lot of other options, how to get food. I'm currently 24 days into a new stalker game and I found a rifle and ten rounds. I didn't fired a single shot from it and my only deer kill was with a bow and an arrow which I found.

2 hours ago, Majales said:

You don't need a rifle to survive.You can scare wolf away from its catch, you can make a bow, you cand find a carcass with some meat, you can catch a rabbit or a fish. There are a lot of other options, how to get food. I'm currently 24 days into a new stalker game and I found a rifle and ten rounds. I didn't fired a single shot from it and my only deer kill was with a bow and an arrow which I found.

I was 150+ days into my current stalker run before I fired my rifle for the first time. I fired 5 shots in total now and all of those shots were used to kill 2 bears, 2 for the first bear 3 for the second. So yeah, you can easily survive without the rifle.

But that's for more experienced players. Newcomers will need that rifle early on or they will keep dying before they can learn how to live without the rifle.

1 hour ago, cekivi said:

Oh, I understand the need for predictable rifle spawns. I'm not saying we should get rid of them. I'm just advocating for the occasional WTF? rifle found leaning against a tree :)

I wouldn't mind that one bit :)

well...im not a newbie but every time i found the rifle in the same areas...when i saw there was no rifle in the habbitual spawn areas,i said "well f**k this"but as i turned 180 degrees i spotted just with the corner of my eye the rifle on the other side of the stairs.I was so frustrated...

2 hours ago, Majales said:

well as i said im not a newbie but neither an expert so for me the rifle is a vital tool to survive,so...

Archived