Dave's Quiet Place [Possible Spoilers]

Wasteland Watcher

I got the achievement after getting mauled by a bear, killing it, then spent the next 3 nights to heal inside its cave while a blizzard raged outside!  I slept, boiled water, went outside to harvest its meat, came back to the cave, cooked, then repeated.

I do not recommend this method. :P

On 3/19/2016 at 8:13 AM, SEAplane said:

Do the caves count as 'outdoors' for the credit?

(It lists that as the description on the game profile location is why I ask)

On 3/20/2016 at 11:23 AM, SteveP said:

There are very few places that are absolutely windproof outdoors but any place with walls all around like that are the best. It can be darn annoying to try to sleep outside if you build up the fire and the wind changes direction on you, which it is bound to do. I would build the fire in one hour increments only and sleep one hour at a time to minimize the risk of loosing all your precious wood supply if something blows out the fire.

In early releases of the game, I've also had conditions where my clothing was in bad shape and it was really cold so I needed two fires to keep warm. Now with the current release I think you get the same warmth bonus from one fire by adding the wood to it directly.It also extends the burn time so the two fire need is moot. See also: http://thelongdark.wikia.com/wiki/Fire#Fuel

Dave's Silent Clearing is a good place to set rabbit snares. Set as many as you can. I don't know if there is a limit to the rabbits you can get at any given location. Last release we could get several in one spot. Maybe 50% success rate. You can also check your status details to see if any new rabbits have been killed to get an idea if you need to visit the snares.

Fishing is usually profitable and that is another suggestion for safe sleeping outdoors. The hut at the far end of the lake has a closable door, if that is an advantage. It might retain more heat? There seems to be a significant heat bonus for being in the Alpine hut. Not sure if a fishing hut is considered under the stars or not.

If you had a fire going in Dave's Cave, it would have kept the wolf off you; at night they can be more dangerous as their senses improve at night. Did the fire go out? Wind got it or you let it burn down to extend?

Thanks for the good advice --appreciate it!
Yes, my fire had burned out but since I was fully clothed inside the bedroll in Dave's (great place for blocking wind) I didn't freeze -- just the wolf attack.

I had no idea wolves senses are improved at night:o  I already avoid walking at night. It's actually more dangerous than I thought!

On 3/20/2016 at 11:36 AM, Vhalkyrie said:

I got the achievement after getting mauled by a bear, killing it, then spent the next 3 nights to heal inside its cave while a blizzard raged outside!  I slept, boiled water, went outside to harvest its meat, came back to the cave, cooked, then repeated.

You my friend are one tough cookie! You live dangerously :P  It's fun though, to be sure

1 hour ago, Wasteland Watcher said:
On 3/20/2016 at 10:36 PM, Vhalkyrie said:

You my friend are one tough cookie! You live dangerously :P  It's fun though, to be sure

It was entirely unintentional, I assure you!

• 4 weeks later...
24 minutes ago, TheRealNFK said:

I recently spent three nights in the ravine during my relocation from ML to CH. I didn't get the achievement, and I'm wondering if it's because I spent all three nights inside the first cave (the one off the tracks towards the ML entrance).

I believe sleeping in caves counts as spending the night indoors, at least when you go deep enough into one so that outdoor temperatures no longer affect your surroundings.  I spent quite a lot of time sleeping in caves on the PV map, but the stats page did not count those nights as being outdoors.

When you walk into the cave opening the wind shelter icon appears, but the temperature is close to what it is outside the cave.  If you move deeper into the cave, the icon disappears and the temperature rises closer to what it might be inside a shelter.

Perhaps sleeping in the cave entrance still counts as being outdoors?

33 minutes ago, polarnomad said:

Perhaps sleeping in the cave entrance still counts as being outdoors?

You're right about that.

I can confirm that the back areas of larger caves definitely count as interiors (lower screenshot, the bedroll is placed slightly behind the threshold line in the interior part of the cave), whereas the entrance areas of larger caves (and smaller caves like in the upper screenshot) count as exteriors. The air temperature in the interior part of caves is -5°C by default, in the exterior part it's equal to the outdoor temperature.

You can test it yourself by sleeping an hour in the different cave parts and check your stats (hours spent indoors vs. outdoors) afterwards.

The starry sky achievement requires you to spend the night in an area defined as "outdoors", smaller caves and cave entrances are thus suitable to get it.:winky:

small cave.jpg

large cave.jpg

1 hour ago, Scyzara said:

The starry sky achievement requires you to spend the night in an area defined as "outdoors", smaller caves and cave entrances are thus suitable to get it.:winky:

Good to know. Thanks.  I still have to bag that achievement.

At the risk of taking this thread completely off topic, are those bones in your second screenshot?  If so, isn't that a spawn point for bears? O.o

Yeah, it was a bear cave indeed... until I chased its former inhabitant away and occupied it, muahaha! :devil:

(The screenshots are from a Pilgrim mode game I started to verify the precise interior/exterior threshold line because that took the least amount of time & effort.)

But I'm pretty sure caves work exactly the same in all modes - at least there is definitely an interior and exterior cave part in Stalker as well. 

Ah, so the cave is an indoor environment. That explains why that deer hide started to cure in that cave. I was dropping most of my gear due to my load capacity lowering from exhaustion, and was quite surprised the next morning to find the hide had started to cure.

3 hours ago, TheRealNFK said:

Ah, so the cave is an indoor environment. That explains why that deer hide started to cure in that cave. I was dropping most of my gear due to my load capacity lowering from exhaustion, and was quite surprised the next morning to find the hide had started to cure.

That is a little odd. Another good reason to eventually add a drying rack to the game.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived