Dave's Quiet Place [Possible Spoilers]

Wasteland Watcher

So I decided to use this spot for my attempt (ongoing, tonight will be 2nd night) of performing the "Beneath a Starry Sky" achievement.

I "prepped" by gathering 200 sticks, 3 tinder plugs, 5 wood matces, a bedroll, 4 L water, and 6 kg venison and dropping the sticks & plugs off in the 'cave.' There is an unfortunate soul resting there in the cave next to a pack so I use the pack as storage for the venison, water, and matches and notice that they seem to be deteriorating a lot faster (doh!) than they do in my file cabinet "refridgerator" at home (Camp Office).  

For shits and giggles I placed three snares outside the mouth of the cave. I've been to Dave's a lot but (first time ever) saw a rabbit when I was dropping off the prep supplies.

Anyhow, I slept in two-hour blocks because I didn't light a fire and wanted to guage how cold it would get. I slept fully clothed inside my sleeping bag, of course.
For the most part the night went well but on my third time waking out of the two-hour cycles..... I awoke to a wolf biting my face!!
It must've been weak because I was able to fight it off quickly but still suffered a single bite (Thank God I was carrying an Old-man's Beard bandage).
After that I went back to sleep believe it or not and woke just as the dawn was breaking. The dude didn't make any comment like, "Well, made it through another night" either. I guess he must've been still a bit shook up over that attack (and now we know quite possibly how the guy in Dave's Quiet Place met his unfortunate end).:insanity_fluffy:

Now the 2nd day is coming to an end and after returning from gathering another 60 sticks one of the snares actually had a rabbit in it!  I was able to harvest the meat without tool-use so after that took a nap to recover from a sprained ankle.
I'll light a fire tonight, cook & boil some snow, and wake every three hours to check the fire. I think that the cover from wind will allow the fire to burn all night.

What could I do or have done better?

15 minutes ago, illanthropist said:

Sleep in a fishing shack maybe?  Wolves don't come in and you have shelter and a pot belly stove!

And it still counts as outdoors too. Interesting. Wolves can't/won't get you even in the shacks with no doors?:devil: 

That potbelly stove got me thinking... the burnt up shack near Deadfall Area might be a good place to try as well.:hatchet:
But I don't think it has good cover from the elements as compared to Dave's Place.

BTW the bedroll deteriorates really fast!:bedroll::o

11 minutes ago, Wasteland Watcher said:

I bagged my first bear about two weeks ago and have been searching all over Mystery Lake for a second one but haven't found another one yet.

"Wrapped in furs" would be nice to achieve as well !

I think bears are on a really long respawn timer, I know there's usually one patrolling near the homesteaders cabin

30 minutes ago, illanthropist said:

Wouldn't the bearskin bedroll help ward off attacks from it's smell?  I'm gonna bag this achy once i have a full inventory of crafted gear again for the:

Wrapped in Furs
Slept in a bearskin bedroll while wearing a wolfskin coat, deerskin boots, and rabbitskin mittens.

I've read the just carrying a bearskin bedroll wards off wolves. Don't know how true it is.

7 minutes ago, illanthropist said:

I think bears are on a really long respawn timer, I know there's usually one patrolling near the homesteaders cabin

I've been by there, also around the lake, the logging camp, the Unnamed Pond... but no bear

• 2 weeks later...

Did you find a bear in the end?

I seem to be having a similar issue in Mystery Lake.  Although at one point there was one hanging around the pond for a couple of days I figured I'd come back to it later, it's now vanished and after searching everywhere there are no others around.

7 hours ago, illanthropist said:

Did you find a bear in the end?

I seem to be having a similar issue in Mystery Lake.  Although at one point there was one hanging around the pond for a couple of days I figured I'd come back to it later, it's now vanished and after searching everywhere there are no others around.

I found the 2nd bear at the Unnamed Pond. I chose a poor location to shoot it and it mauled me. After I'd recovered (three days later) and wandered back the area I found the carcass so am starting on my bearskin bedroll :)

2 hours ago, Wasteland Watcher said:

I found the 2nd bear at the Unnamed Pond. I chose a poor location to shoot it and it mauled me. After I'd recovered (three days later) and wandered back the area I found the carcass so am starting on my bearskin bedroll :)

Nice one, that's where the one has de-spawned in my current save, will search the zone again.  Cheers

1 hour ago, illanthropist said:

Nice one, that's where the one has de-spawned in my current save, will search the zone again.  Cheers

Thanks! The only bummer was that since three days had passed all 30 KG of meat was spoiled. Still, my bearskin bedroll is 80% complete and after it's done I'll probably move to Pleasant Valley for a month or so :)

You know what's odd is that I'm pretty sure I shot my first bear the far end of Mystery Lake near the last cabin...  I wonder if bears 'spawn' in different/random locations every time one is killed?

12 minutes ago, Wasteland Watcher said:

You know what's odd is that I'm pretty sure I shot my first bear the far end of Mystery Lake near the last cabin...  I wonder if bears 'spawn' in different/random locations every time one is killed?

Yeah, think there are 3 possible spawns, the two mentioned and the cave near trappers cabin.

Just checked one and definately can't see him!

screen_268c7e98-67ed-4b28-bed0-b8711171efdf_hi.png

1 hour ago, romerabr said:

Mountaineers hut, light a fire inside, and sleep outside, behind the hut. You get the heat, and no animals near. You can sleep in a regular bedroll, without problem, even in a blizzard.

Nice one gratz, though I still haven't got to TWM yet triggered it by accident on Mystery Lake as I had fished too much to carry so I just sat in the hut for 3 nights getting fat, well a short walk to the shore to harvest some Fir logs on my second day was the only exercise I managed.

A wolf came up to the hut a few times but even with no door, it just went about it's business.

2016-03-09.png

On 3/8/2016 at 10:45 PM, illanthropist said:

Yeah, think there are 3 possible spawns, the two mentioned and the cave near trappers cabin.

I've found bear spawn bone piles  in Mystery Lake at Trapper's Homestead (near Max), Lone Cabin, Unamed Pond - and there's a spawn point at Clear Cut (I think, but I haven't found the bone pile, found the bear twice though).  

On 2016-02-26 at 4:59 PM, Wasteland Watcher said:

What could I do or have done better?

There are very few places that are absolutely windproof outdoors but any place with walls all around like that are the best. It can be darn annoying to try to sleep outside if you build up the fire and the wind changes direction on you, which it is bound to do. I would build the fire in one hour increments only and sleep one hour at a time to minimize the risk of loosing all your precious wood supply if something blows out the fire.

In early releases of the game, I've also had conditions where my clothing was in bad shape and it was really cold so I needed two fires to keep warm. Now with the current release I think you get the same warmth bonus from one fire by adding the wood to it directly.It also extends the burn time so the two fire need is moot. See also: http://thelongdark.wikia.com/wiki/Fire#Fuel

Dave's Silent Clearing is a good place to set rabbit snares. Set as many as you can. I don't know if there is a limit to the rabbits you can get at any given location. Last release we could get several in one spot. Maybe 50% success rate. You can also check your status details to see if any new rabbits have been killed to get an idea if you need to visit the snares.

Fishing is usually profitable and that is another suggestion for safe sleeping outdoors. The hut at the far end of the lake has a closable door, if that is an advantage. It might retain more heat? There seems to be a significant heat bonus for being in the Alpine hut. Not sure if a fishing hut is considered under the stars or not.

If you had a fire going in Dave's Cave, it would have kept the wolf off you; at night they can be more dangerous as their senses improve at night. Did the fire go out? Wind got it or you let it burn down to extend?

Archived