wild meat

I know from by British Army survival training that it is impossible to live on rabbit meat alone due to a lack of vitamins and minerals.

What I would like to know is what is the nutritional value of bear and wolf meat,  being a Brit do not get much over here.

cheers     John "jungle" Green

It's called rabbit starvation. I believe the issue is not a lack of vitamins or minerals in the meat. The problem is the meat has virtually no fat.

You need lipids to absorb a whole whack of micro-nutrients as well as effectively use protein.

You also need fat for your cell membranes, hormone production, and countless other body functions.

Fat is 9 calories a gram. Carbs and protein are 4. Which leads me to. When you are missing the fat and low on carbs making up the difference with protein becomes dangerous.

Trying to eat 2000 calories a day of mainly protein will result in consuming an unsafe amount of protein for the day. Your liver and kidneys can only process so much protein before the waste by-products become too much (Ammonia, etc.)

I remember reading some papers on restricting various fatty acids in rats and all sorts of weird things were happening with their fur, skin and overall health. Kind of a curious topic you can probably find a lot of good resources on.

On 2/26/2016 at 6:14 PM, junglegreen said:

I know from by British Army survival training that it is impossible to live on rabbit meat alone due to a lack of vitamins and minerals.

What I would like to know is what is the nutritional value of bear and wolf meat,  being a Brit do not get much over here.

cheers     John "jungle" Green

Depends if the bears have been eating rabbits ;)

There's plenty of sources for nutrition info on bear meat, nobody except Liam Neeson eats wolf so I doubt you'll  find dietary info as easily:

https://www.fatsecret.com/calories-nutrition/usda/bear-meat-(cooked-simmered)

Not enough fat on rabbits and squirrels for an exclusive diet. The game could use more plant based food resources, which are scarce in winter. The inner bark of spruce, pine and poplar trees is edible and contains carbohydrates. Nuts contain fat. Seals have lots of delicious fat. Maybe they will make an appearance some day!

• 11 months later...

Archived