Medical conditions in post-apocalypse world (Drugs etc)

I would just find an old survivalist guru, maybe in his/her 70s-90s and carry them around on my back like a backpack so they could advise me as I went :D

It could be Herschel from The Walking Dead. He seems to know everything. Plus, he's a little lighter now that he's lost a leg.

I would just find an old survivalist guru, maybe in his/her 70s-90s and carry them around on my back like a backpack so they could advise me as I went :D

It could be Herschel from The Walking Dead. He seems to know everything. Plus, he's a little lighter now that he's lost a leg.

Maybe cut the other one as well?! He would be even lighter...

@meg_rector - interesting that you brought up Herschel from walking dead because they found that they could not treat ailments; rather symptoms.

This would likely be the situation in a post-apoc world as most people would not be able to recognize a specific ailment; they would be able to recognize the symptoms (nausea, diarrhea, fever, etc.)

Maybe cut the other one as well?! He would be even lighter...

Ha ha ha . Oh, no. Now I'm getting flashes of "Boxing Helena." Not good.

• 2 years later...
P.S. @Martin_Blass: Some people do need anti-contraceptive pills, because they do more than just prevent pregnancy. They're also used to manage cramps, dysmenorrhea (painful menstruation) and, in some cases, polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS).

I was not aware of that they have other uses. I mentioned them only as an example of "not-really-important" type of drug. My primary concern was antibiotics and such.

Insulin especially would be a problem even shortly after the EVENT.

Contraception wouldn't be a "not really important" type of drug because for some people children would be a hindrance to their own survival and pregnancy would make survival harder, seeing as pregnancy and child birth used to be a major cause of maternal death I'd class it as an extremely important drug.

If I was in a survival situation I'd be far more concerned with my own survival than survival of the species via me crapping out kids.

• 1 month later...
On 1/29/2016 at 6:01 PM, pkbitchgirl said:

Contraception wouldn't be a "not really important" type of drug because for some people children would be a hindrance to their own survival and pregnancy would make survival harder, seeing as pregnancy and child birth used to be a major cause of maternal death I'd class it as an extremely important drug.

If I was in a survival situation I'd be far more concerned with my own survival than survival of the species via me crapping out kids.

Rifles make pretty good contraceptives as well... ;)

Archived