Community Profile: Whiteberry—Mapping a World

The first entry in an ongoing series of interviews with members of Hinterland's diverse and passionate community is now live on the Hinterland Studio website. Through the link below you’ll learn more about Whiteberry, a creator of original maps for The Long Dark’s game world.

If you have comments or questions regarding this article, feel free to post them here. Thanks!

--Patrick Carlson, Hinterland Studio Web Editor

I loved reading this interview. Whiteberry has made very accurate maps which are very helpful when you discovered most of the regions but can't seem to remember the exact locations.

The maps are a must have for me when I want to move a lot of my stuff, I have to plan ahead.

Would love to see more of these interviews in the future. How about the interaction between YouTubers/Streamers and you devs? Feedback and code names like 'fluffy' haha.

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Scyzara said:

Her maps are really awesome indeed, both regarding their accuracy and the amount of details. I always use them whenever I need a map to plan the best route for a challenge or exploration trip. Nice interview, too. :normal:

Hey Scyzara, can you message me? I have a question for you. :big_smile:

Thanks,

Patrick

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
On 2/15/2016 at 0:35 PM, Patrick Carlson said:

The first entry in an ongoing series of interviews with members of Hinterland's diverse and passionate community is now live on the Hinterland Studio website. Through the link below you’ll learn more about Whiteberry, a creator of original maps for The Long Dark’s game world.

If you have comments or questions regarding this article, feel free to post them here. Thanks!

--Patrick Carlson, Hinterland Studio Web Editor

Par excellence. Bravo! The cardinal itself speaks volumes.

• 2 months later...

Really enjoy these maps.  Thank you Whiteberry.  My role play is the character has grown up around Bear Island and has spent many days traveling the outdoors in their youth.  The maps are part of the characters memories. 

Some questions for the developers concerning the World map.

The two areas at the top of the map, will these be included in the next update?  Will these areas be accessible from sandbox or are story mode only?

The Forlorn Muskeg area was added to the edge and the map now should be expanded to include it.  How large of a map area is planned?

There are areas in the map that are just void.  Will the map eventually be filled in?

1 hour ago, Farrgin Ice Hole said:

Really enjoy these maps.  Thank you Whiteberry.  My role play is the character has grown up around Bear Island and has spent many days traveling the outdoors in their youth.  The maps are part of the characters memories. 

Some questions for the developers concerning the World map.

The two areas at the top of the map, will these be included in the next update?  Will these areas be accessible from sandbox or are story mode only?

The Forlorn Muskeg area was added to the edge and the map now should be expanded to include it.  How large of a map area is planned?

There are areas in the map that are just void.  Will the map eventually be filled in?

1-Yes; they will be in both Story Mode and Sandbox Mode

2-Technically it's an island, so not much bigger by my guess

3-Most of the 'void' is mountains, so no, no need to fill them in

Archived