Challlenge: longest rifle shot and hit

SteveP

A new Game Challenge to see who can shoot the furthest. If you don't get the instant kill, then we probably have to measure from the start of the blood trail, assuming there is one. Your choice of target: rabbit, wolf, deer or bear.

You can practice your rifle marksmanship by starting a new game, finding a rifle and practicing on an archery target or the side of a barn if that will retain bullet marks. For retries, just Esc the game without saving.

Distance to be measured by F8 screen shot of firing and F8 shot of animal or blood trail.

Technical details: To compute the range we need to make use of Pythagoras: C2 = A2 + B2 where A and B are the differences in X-Y coordinates and C is the range. To make it interesting, you could add the additional factor of difference in elevation too.

97.6 Grid Units

Shot from 1088.4, 17.5, 1414.2

Dropped at 990.8, 17.5, 1414.6

Basically due North with no elevation difference (both shooter and target at sea level on DP map)

Shot also measured at 64 rifle lengths (man was that tedious to measure). One rifle length is approximately 2/3 of the walking footstep drop distance, center to center, for comparison (~42 steps).

Beyond this range, multiple shots at the same point of aim had no effect other than to continue to encourage the bear walk directly towards me. Aim point: center mass, while crouching. No adjustment for range.

9C53910BFEF2C46776A065206628D3153A29C991

97.6 Grid Units

Basically due North with no elevation difference (both shooter and target at sea level on DP map)

Shot also measured at 64 rifle lengths (man was that tedious to measure). One rifle length is approximately 2/3 of the walking footstep drop distance, center to center, for comparison (~42 steps).

Beyond this range, multiple shots at the same point of aim had no effect other than to continue to encourage the bear walk directly towards me. Aim point: center mass, while crouching. No adjustment for range.

My record is about as far as yours, on a moving bunny without the scope, first ever shot from a rifle on un-even ground.

Haven't had that luck ever since. Ha!

97.6 Grid Units

No necessity to adjust the aim point? This is sounding a lot like the rifle CANNOT shoot beyond a certain range and ballistics are not simulated. Was this an instant kill then? Sounds like. Was the rifle in top condition? That would be the only other factor that could hypothetically have an influence. I suspect it doesn't matter much but in real life, the barrel condition does affect accuracy (group size of shots)

Any tips? such as crouching to steady? Avoiding fatigue?

Thank you for your help and congratulations on a good shot.

I had thought of a way to estimate range. Basically, take a dead deer and using logs laid end to end, measure the width of the deer from head to tail (or body width) then lay those same number of logs out on the ground on a clear flat surface like the lake. Move back approximately 100 units (meters?) and then mark the width on the monitor using masking tape. If the deer then matches the width of the tape, it's at roughly 100 meters. Half that amount, should be 200 meter range, double should be 50 meters. It's just like creating a scope range finder but manually using bits of masking tape.

Tip: remove the masking tape from your monitor or risk permanent marks. Use low tack painters tape. Note the size would change if you alter your game resolution or angle of perspective.

You would end up with something that looks similar to this. ncstar-rubber-armored-mark-iii-tactical-scope-3-9x42-compact-with-red-laser-blue-illuminated-rangefinder-reticle-39.png

Of course, this is completely moot if there is no bullet drop (ballistic drop); Range doesn't matter? -sigh- :(

I suppose it might be helpful to have "cross-hairs"or something to mark the aim point at the centre of the screen since this disappears during bow aiming.

I found it much easier to move while shooting the rifle, because when slowly moving there is no sway (actually there is but no more sway from left ro right, just a sway to the left or the right and it stays there until you stop moving again) and you can adjust your movement to be at the same speed of your prey, you cannot possibly miss your shot... if that made any sense, even from a distance twice as far as the previous pic if anyone is inclining to believe that.

I will bring proof soon with a movie.

Edit: must have been drunk, seems impossible :(

No necessity to adjust the aim point? This is sounding a lot like the rifle CANNOT shoot beyond a certain range and ballistics are not simulated. Was this an instant kill then? Sounds like. Was the rifle in top condition? That would be the only other factor that could hypothetically have an influence. I suspect it doesn't matter much but in real life, the barrel condition does affect accuracy (group size of shots)

Any tips? such as crouching to steady? Avoiding fatigue?

Thank you for your help and congratulations on a good shot.

Full disclosure: I did a lot to set up this test. Most significant was a perverse use of the bleedout timer. And some odd use of fire trap behaviour. Crouching, rifle in good condition, 3/4 fatigue, no noticeable rifle sway. Aim center mass. I believe I got a head shot every time, but can not completely rule out critical hits to the torso. Repeated many times by exiting and restoring.

Background: For rifles. A bear shot in the head that does not die instantly will bleedout exactly 1 hour after being shot. A bear shot in the foot will bleedout exactly 8 hours after that shot. Multiple wounds work by replacing the earliest wound timer with the shortest bleedout time. So a bear first shot in the foot then shot in the head that does not die instantly will die exactly 1 hour after being shot in the foot.

Step one: Trap the bear with the fire. Shoot it in the foot. Note the time on the Survival Page (Hour 0).

Step two: Run away. When removed from the bear by more than 30 paces, the bear changes behavior to ignore the fire and start walking around again. Let the bear wander far enough away from the fire that it will not be trapped again. No rush, there is an hour to kill (step four will explain).

Step three: Go to bear and get its attention so it tracks me. Go to premarked point roughly due north of the rock I intend to shoot from. Drop raw meat. Bear lured to meat, I walk directly into the still burning fire to obtain burn injury. And save the game. Proceed to intended firing position under rock.

Step four: Bear finishes sniffing meat, starts wandering around again. I am crouched in firing position with 99% rifle and 9 rounds loaded. Carefully aim center mass. Fire. Bear changes orientation and, now tracking me, walks directly down line of fire. Continue firing, 1 second pause between shots to stabilize and check aim. 4 more shots with no change in behavior. 6th shot hits. Bears dies instantly. (Always. Because more than 1 hour has passed since first shot to the foot. Head time ((1 hour)) replaces foot time ((8 hour)) but 0 hour stays the same and we are now beyond 0 hour plus 1 so critical hit kill or bleedout kill both inflict instantly.)

Step five: Take coordinates of firing position. Walk to bear. Stand over its head. Take coordinates of final resting place.

Step six: Forget how coordinates work and proceed to measure distance manually by dropping the rifle, positioning it roughly along a line between the target and the shooting position, marking the end with a piece of coal (which not only has to be dropped and positioned but which required many harvesting trips to obtain), then moving down the line and repeating 63 times. Take picture of my needless labors and post it online.

Full disclosure: I did a lot to set up this test. Most significant was a perverse use of the bleedout timer. And some odd use of fire trap behaviour. Crouching, rifle in good condition, 3/4 fatigue, no noticeable rifle sway. Aim center mass. I believe I got a head shot every time, but can not completely rule out critical hits to the torso. Repeated many times by exiting and restoring.

Background: For rifles. A bear shot in the head that does not die instantly will bleedout exactly 1 hour after being shot. A bear shot in the foot will bleedout exactly 8 hours after that shot. Multiple wounds work by replacing the earliest wound timer with the shortest bleedout time. So a bear first shot in the foot then shot in the head that does not die instantly will die exactly 1 hour after being shot in the foot.

That is brilliant! guarantees the kill as soon as the range closes enough!! Well that is, when the random numbers and the stars line up too possibly but a beautiful set up! Has anyone tried the archery targets?

• 2 weeks later...

I got a kill a bit further away than SteveP did and on a wolf, screenshotted it, now suddenly the whole DVR profile on Xbox.com has vanished, (not just mine) or did they put that in a totally different place because i cannot find it anymore lol, would be cool if someone could direct me to where my screenshots and videos are saved so i can show my picture.

Edit: found it, it's still in the same place but you need to access it via Google since Xbox.com link won't work lol.

Hah lol, the screenshot has been magically deleted from my profile, and only that one... -.- -.- -.- -.- -.-

Edit 2: luckely i took about 20 pictures with my phone as well cause i had a feeling something weird would happen again like my screenshots on Xbox vanishing, it would be weird if nothing would happen, everything i touch gets glitched somehow :/
Can't upload it now as this pc doesn't has any bluetooth nor do i have a cable with me.

• 1 year later...

Just duplicated this test again for confirmation's sake.  (Using slightly different mechanics)

Result:  99.8 map units was longest registered from shooting position to standing on bear's head.

Rifle skill level: 1.  Rifle Condition: between 90-98%.

screen_(1284, 61, 785)_be52c14e-165a-4598-b217-9fd82e1a536a (2).png

screen_(1329, 56, 698)_a069398c-5a55-41a0-943b-c546ab291740 (2).png

On 4/30/2017 at 5:09 AM, cekivi said:

From the sounds of it I'd guess the rifle is set to a range of 100 map units then.

From which it's probably a safe bet to say "100 metres". Particularly given that the elevation part of the coordinates is almost certainly in metres.

56 minutes ago, JAFO said:

From which it's probably a safe bet to say "100 metres". Particularly given that the elevation part of the coordinates is almost certainly in metres.

Their scale seems a bit different than that.  The rifle should be about 1 meter but measures 1.5 map units.  The cars should be almost 5 meters long but measure closer to 6.5,

So, 70 meters might be a more accurate guesstimate.

• 4 weeks later...

Map Units is a nice measurement unit since we can calibrate from that when setting up ambushes etc.

One hundred meters or seventy meters is poor performance from a rifle. :-(

I am curious if we can determine accuracy or groups by using a target? Ballistic drop would be an interesting thing to measure, if possible. There is ballistic drop for arrows so I would have thought they would use something similar.

I did some experiments using transparent tape on some GELtaz videos and discovered the aim point and point of impact but could not calibrate with distance. I suppose it would not be impossible to calibrate using landmarks as reference points.

• 2 months later...
6 hours ago, selfless said:

**NEW RECORD** v1.08(PC)  Seems the cap on rifle range has been extended by just a bit...

182 map units!

Ermm.. I really hate to break this to you, but I just plotted those coordinates (1135.6 x 1382.8 & 968.1 x 1454.2) on a sheet of graph paper. The shot runs at roughly 40° to the coordinate grid. When I measure the straight-line distance between those two points, I get 98 map units. So nothing has changed, as far as I can tell.. you might want to check your math.

Nevermind.. I messed up my plotting. 182 map units it is.

40 minutes ago, JAFO said:

Ermm.. I really hate to break this to you, but I just plotted those coordinates (1135.6 x 1382.8 & 968.1 x 1454.2) on a sheet of graph paper. The shot runs at roughly 40° to the coordinate grid. When I measure the straight-line distance between those two points, I get 98 map units. So nothing has changed, as far as I can tell.. you might want to check your math.

The hypotenuse of a right triangle is equal to the square root of the sum of the squares of the remaining two sides.

• x = 1135.6 - 968.1 = 167.5
  • y = 1382.8 - 1454.2 = -71.4
  • (x^2 + y^2)^0.5 = 182.083.

That's my math.

19 minutes ago, selfless said:

That's my math.

And your math is absolutely correct.. When I tried to work out why my plot and the math disagreed, I discovered I'd somehow managed to plot the 1135.6 point at the 1035.6 mark. I feel like such an idiot. :$

<removes foot from mouth>
Congratulations on a spectacular shot, a new record, and a discovery about the new rifle range! B|

10 minutes ago, selfless said:

Math is the shit.

That it is.. I got lazy and used the paper instead because it happened to be handy. Lesson learned.

Now the next question is, what's the new maximum range? I'll leave that to your more than capable marksmanship to discover... ¬¬

(actually, re-reading your methodology, I suspect you've probably gotten pretty close to max-range with this posted shot)

Archived