Weapon Accoutrements

ThePantsMann

+1 scope with graduated reticle and markings to assist in estimating range.

This was possible on the British .303 Enfield with metal open peep sights.

Parker9G_CLLE.gif

Okay, that is an aftermarket micrometer sight designed to be fired from a bench or on a shooting mat with a shooting jacket, sling, and glove for long range slow fire target shooting competition. It wasn't on military rifles and it wouldn't be used by hunters.

The Lee Enfield has a peep sight as is currently depicted in game that was to be used for ranges up to 300 yards, and beyond that you flipped up the sight to find a smaller peep that could be elevated for longer range shots. Note that these longer shots were more about throwing lead at a group of enemy troops, not precision aiming at individual enemy soldiers.

Scope in The Long Dark?

No!

At least not on the Lee Enfield.

As a hunting arm the Lee Enfield was/is popular in Canada because surplus military arms were sold to average folks when the Canadian Military upgraded it's rifles. These were worn rifles, inexpensive, and rugged. They were plenty accurate for regular hunting, but they don't really match the kind of hunting gun that one would expect to find a scope on.

Second, what would you do if you found a scope? Does the character have a workshop to drill-and-tap the barrel to accept a base mount? With screws properly sized to not be a barrel obstruction? Does the character have the tools to do this precisely enough as to not cause accuracy issues due to a less than true mount? Does the character find bases and rings too?

So once the character has drilled holes in the top of his rifle, screwed in the bases, mounted the rings, mounted the scope in the rings, sealed it all with blue locktite, how much ammo does he have to zero the scope to his rifle? You don't just slap a scope on and have the crosshairs magically align with where the point of impact is.

Does he have a bore-sight so he can instantly get 'on paper' and then use 5 or so more rounds to get on the bullseye? Or does he need 20 rounds because he may need 15 to find the paper?

Should a different rifle that has a scope on it be included? Maybe. But find a scope and slap it on a rifle and expect it to be anything other than a disaster? No.

What a cool image of a sight system on that rifle. Really interesting stuff. I'm personally a fan of iron sights in games. I like the difficulty I guess.

--Patrick

• 1 month later...
On 2016-01-30 at 0:12 PM, ThePantsMann said:

Good to know. Makes sense why I couldn't shoot a bear that was a million miles away (distance was estimated, not measured) with the bow, as I am not yet familiarized with the drop in the arrow minus distance to said target. What can I expect when trying to a target bull's-eye from, say, 50m? Is there a formula?

We did some tests in the Longest Rifle Shot Challenge and I believe it was determined that maximum rifle range was 100m and there is no bullet ballistics or drop.

Archived