Condensed Milk

Salty Crackers

I think you should rebalance condensed milk. First, it shouldn't degrade. It says in the description it doesn't degrade, so I think it should be that way. Condensed milk should also restore some thirst, being milk. If it does already, it should be more. Last, if you make these changes, lower the calorie count of it. If it didn't degrade and restored thirst, it would be kind of broken.

These are just my opinions, but if you aren't going to change anything, at least stop making the description say it stores forever when it doesn't. The game is still great, though.

Condensed milk should also restore some thirst, being milk.

These are just my opinions, but if you aren't going to change anything, at least stop making the description say it stores forever when it doesn't. The game is still great, though.

Have you ever tried it? It makes you more thirsty unless you dilute it down or add it as creamer in coffee etc

Sweetened, thickened milk in a can. Keeps forever!

It's not meant to be taken literally, it's like mentioning say my irl scarpa hiking boots, sure they were expensive but they'll last me a life time, nobody will call me a liar if they need resoling after 5 years ;)

It's not meant to be taken literally, it's like mentioning say my irl scarpa hiking boots, sure they were expensive but they'll last me a life time, nobody will call me a liar if they need resoling after 5 years ;)

It's definitely fair to take the product description literally in this case. The item description is where the devs embed tips and information that can help the player 'use' the products (eg. how to cure items and for how long). If all food products degraded, it would be fair to consider it as artistic liberty in the writing, but this is a game where some food products degrade, and some do not.

I second that they should alter the description or the item behaviour to match. I've been storing beef jerky and condensed milk along with soda and crackers separately from other food based on those descriptions.

Fun fact: I use condensed milk as coffee creamer for my tea at work. I keep a can in the fridge. It lasts over two months even after opening :D

As long as the can doesn't freeze solid which may damage the welds there's no reason why the cold would damage it. You can also drink it straight. I wouldn't recommend it (really odd taste) but it is still liquid enough that it shouldn't dehydrate you. Giving you hydration though is a little silly.

Lastly, I agree with both Salty Crackers and illanthropist. The "lasts forever" is clearly a joke but since almost every other item description is literal than the description for condensed milk should be changed too. Or at least modified to say "lasts virtually forever"! ;)

Growing up in Canada years and years ago as a kid, many of us dreaded the terrifying can of Condensed Milk that always seemed to reside hauntingly in the deep dark crevice of the kitchen cupboard... We all knew the day would come when we would run out of milk for our cereal, and Mom who magically show up "Here you go, it's just like milk too" and poured the thick glop of milk all over our crunchies.

We did our best to eat the cereal, but as soon as Mom was distracted, we found a way to dump the bowl ASAP -- even if it mean "accidently" knocking our bowl off the table. The one thing that tasted worse to us back then was cereal plastered with a mixture of Condensed Milk and powdered skim milk :x

A long running joke was that, as a kid, we looked for an expiry date just so that we could eventually say "no condensed milk, it went bad"... It did expire, but always felt it lasted forever.

It's kinda like the Twinkies humor -- where Twinkies don't need an expiry date because they'll still be edible long after humans and even cockroaches are wiped out. ;)

Fun fact: I use condensed milk as coffee creamer for my tea at work. I keep a can in the fridge. It lasts over two months even after opening :D

As long as the can doesn't freeze solid which may damage the welds there's no reason why the cold would damage it. You can also drink it straight. I wouldn't recommend it (really odd taste) but it is still liquid enough that it shouldn't dehydrate you. Giving you hydration though is a little silly.

Lastly, I agree with both Salty Crackers and illanthropist. The "lasts forever" is clearly a joke but since almost every other item description is literal than the description for condensed milk should be changed too. Or at least modified to say "lasts virtually forever"! ;)

Me too, used it quite often over the years, especially on hiking trips, makes a great Irish coffee in a cold bothy, even buy it in tubes now and then for the odd overnighter.

If it freezes and thaws it kind of separates into two liquids a bit like old gloss paint and goes off.

Why has this devolved into a discussion of how you use condensed milk?

Thread drift. I have a theory that all threads on the internet eventually end up in a discussion on the pros and cons of nude midget wrestling.

The problem with nude midget wrestling is you don't get to see much for your entry fee!

Are some of us confusing condensed milk with evaporated milk? Condensed milk is sweetened. And is readily transformed into Dulce de Leche. Which is super yummy. Evaporated milk is on par with powdered milk, ick.

That is quite possible. On the same subject subject, condensed milk can also be used as an ingredient in pumpkin pie. I doubt pumpkin pie will make it into the game though.

However, if the game is ever opened for modding... :)

• 10 months later...

Archived