HowTo survive in Timberwolf Mountain

ChillPlayer

This video is a guide, inspired by the Sea to Summit challenge, on how to reach the summit and be back at the Mountaineer's Hut in 48h or less, completely equipped with most what is lootable including hides to begin crafting clothes.

It's not a speed run but getting fast up and down is crucial to not have to worry about weather, hunger and such. The run took 3h to complete which are condensed in this 13 mins clip. So while there are spoilers, alot is cut out and left for you to explore ;)

[bBvideo 560,340:1c2u7u63]

[/bBvideo]

Definitely a lot of helpful tips & tricks in this video, I very much recommend players who have trouble to start in TWM to watch this guide! ;)

Never tried shooting that bear from the cliff (I usually kill them with one or two headshots through a campfire), but it's good to see this method works so well. (I assume using just one bullet and then melting some snow while standing on the ledge and waiting for the bear to bleed out would work as well.)

Should the Devs ever fix the campfire behavior, knowing secure cliffs will come in handy for sure. Thanks for sharing!

Thanks Scyzara, that means alot as you know that the method is basically something you came up with and I also learned the fastest way up from you, so thank you for your advise and help ;)

About the bear, I kill bears with this method since the first patch after they were introduced (initially you could just shoot them and they wouldn't charge at you when you were far away). The reason I stick to that is because there probably will never be a way to fix this - although it's not a bug, it would be the same in RL - as opposed to let the bear go around the fire. Because even if the devs can improve path finding so far that it could follow up on any cliff I go, they probably will never let the bear drop down to a cliff where it can't get up again.

To combat this tactic to some extend (I think?) the bear will run away since some versions ago when hit severely, but if you're fast enough you can still get him as seen in the video or just collect him 2 hours later when he's bled out.

• 1 year later...
On 1/27/2016 at 0:47 PM, ChillPlayer said:

Thanks Scyzara, that means alot as you know that the method is basically something you came up with and I also learned the fastest way up from you, so thank you for your advise and help ;)

About the bear, I kill bears with this method since the first patch after they were introduced (initially you could just shoot them and they wouldn't charge at you when you were far away). The reason I stick to that is because there probably will never be a way to fix this - although it's not a bug, it would be the same in RL - as opposed to let the bear go around the fire. Because even if the devs can improve path finding so far that it could follow up on any cliff I go, they probably will never let the bear drop down to a cliff where it can't get up again.

To combat this tactic to some extend (I think?) the bear will run away since some versions ago when hit severely, but if you're fast enough you can still get him as seen in the video or just collect him 2 hours later when he's bled out.

Well you pretty well predicted the changes they made!

6 hours ago, ChillPlayer said:

huh which changes, did they release an update recently?

There hasn't been any major Update since Resolute Outfitter, don't worry. I Guess @SteveP is talking about the change that bears can't be shot through campfires any more. I don't remember when exactly this was fixed (somewhen last automn I think), but shooting them from cliffs is now the way to go. ;)

23 minutes ago, Scyzara said:

There hasn't been any major Update since Resolute Outfitter, don't worry. I Guess @SteveP is talking about the change that bears can't be shot through campfires any more. I don't remember when exactly this was fixed (somewhen last automn I think), but shooting them from cliffs is now the way to go. ;)

ah okay, I thought I missed something. Yeah Cliffs were the way to go for me since they fixed Bears to charge you no matter from which distance you shoot ;)

Archived