Electric Lights from Car Batteries

cekivi

Now, hear me out. Yes, there's been a geomagnetic disturbance that's destroyed everything with a circuit board. Fine, makes sense. However, assuming the fundamental laws of physics still apply than we should still be able to science up some electric lights. Considering that wood still burns the chemistry of batteries shouldn't be affected even if the computers are short-circuited husks.

I propose a simple recipe: 1 car battery + wire + 1 car light = one electric light. Requires a knife and/or toolbox to make. Weighs 11kg. Non-repairable. Slow degrade. Can be harvested for one light and wire. Needs to be placed on the ground like a snare to work. Light cast is roughly equivalent to a lantern but it's directional and lasts ~5 times longer.

Why would anyone want to make this? Well, if I'm crafting in the basement of Hibernia Processing... it's too dark to see anything! If I don't want to waste precious lantern fuel than an electric light gives the option to work in the basement and still be able to see. This will never be a portable light source but it will work in a pinch to lighten up your home of choice :)

All three items should be scavengeable from cars. Wire and the light bulb would require tools to remove. The battery can just be lifted out and will have a random condition from full to flat (affects the final condition of the assembled light). You should also be able to use wire to craft more durable snares.

Anyways, that's my two cents. Any thoughts?

To be honest, I'm happy with the current (hehe) lack of electric items. I suppose we'll need to see what the story explains in terms of whether basic electric items will operate under the current conditions. (And although it might be far-fetched, I'm fine with accepting no electrical items as a premise of the game)

edit: scavenging wire is a no-brainer though

Yes, sorry, the ground floor. I usually use the office space upstairs as a base camp and since you go down a flight of stairs to get to the work bench... :)

Candles would also be nice but there's lots of bulbs, wire and batteries around. No reason to not have both. Plus 1 candle versus a 500 candlepower light :)

And starfighter's right. I didn't even think about it but you should be able to get diesel or gasoline from the vehicle tanks. Sure, it'd probably have some water in it from sitting so long but it would still burn. I guess they'd need to add containers (or let up keep the jerry cans once their empty) in order to harvest fuel though...

So batteries are not infinite they degrade. First they contain acid, i'm not sure if the battery would begin to charge better is the acid is swapped. Batteries in car work because an alternator constantly charges the battery back up off of energy produced by the engine. So even if we did have that it would be a very limited life span with no way to recharge your battery. Why waste your time on it.

So batteries are not infinite they degrade. First they contain acid, i'm not sure if the battery would begin to charge better is the acid is swapped. Batteries in car work because an alternator constantly charges the battery back up off of energy produced by the engine. So even if we did have that it would be a very limited life span with no way to recharge your battery. Why waste your time on it.

I think you're underestimating how long a 12V car battery will last under a minor load. The batteries will go flat (I never suggested they be infinite lasting) but they should last for at least several hours in game. Haven't you ever forgotten your car's lights on?

The whole point of this option is a very bright source of light solely for player comfort/convenience. It is not intended to increase survival odds since the work bench - for whatever reason - works equally well in bright light and pitch blackness. I just like being able to see when I'm stumbling around in dark interiors.

I think you're underestimating how long a 12V car battery will last under a minor load.

The whole point of this option is a very bright source of light solely for player comfort/convenience.

Do you really want to carry around a 40 lbs / 18 kg battery (plus the separate cables, light, etc.) as a flashlight? ;)

Do you really want to carry around a 40 lbs / 18 kg battery (plus the separate cables, light, etc.) as a flashlight? ;)

Lol, +1 agreed, a wind up flashlight would be nice, pretty much every petrol station in the UK had these at one time but then again a) where's the fun in an endless supply and b) cranking the handle is bad enough IRL that would drive me insane in a game!

Archived